Waived: Thorburn and Jaskin (Jaskin claimed by Washington)

Grimlore

Mar 20, 2012
Just like we can all agree that Upshall was terrible because every team in the league declined to sign him for league minimum in 2015 and he was forced to sign a pro tryout contract.

No one is saying Jaskin is an MVP. But the fact that 25 teams passed on him at the busiest waiver time of the season doesn't mean that he isn't a quality depth player. I think he is a better injury fill in at the moment than Sanford, Foley, Thorburn, Nolan or anyone else we currently have in the AHL. Losing that for nothing is frustrating, because the chances of not having to dip into that AHL depth throughout the year is essentially zero.

And how would propose they handled the situation differently? Send down one of the waiver exempt guys who clearly outplayed Jaskin in the pre-season?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
And how would propose they handled the situation differently? Send down one of the waiver exempt guys who clearly outplayed Jaskin in the pre-season?

I can't answer for Brian, but I don't think anyone necessarily screwed up or handled things wrong. I don't think anyone at all is saying Army mishandled it. Especially in light of the fact that he asked for a trade, they shopped him and couldn't find a taker. Something can suck without it being anybodies fault. It is an unfortunate totality of circumstances that led to it and it is a minor bummer but no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Even if there is blame, its minor and we don't know enough about the circumstances to say so.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Slower 4th line players with minimal offense contributions and limited special teams utility have negligible value in the current league climate, so I'm not surprised that Armstrong couldn't find a trade partner, or that so many teams passed on him in waivers.

Given that he requested a trade, I'm not even sure the Blues would claim him back if Washington waived him themselves in the near future.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I tried to find the photo of a bunch of players while in flight. Jaskin in the background looking depressed. For both the Blues and Jaskin, it’s good to just move on.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Really? It's a discussion forum. If somebody wasn't a fan of Jaskin and says "good riddance", that's their opinion and they're allowed to do that. It is also an interesting tidbit of information that nobody bit on him via trade and pretty much the same happened with waivers, is it not? I must say, his fans get awfully defensive about him.

Anyways, here's this gem of a quote:

Lmao. I don't even need to say anything about that.

“His fans”? Lol, you’re funny.

I would say my main point is that IMO, many are getting a little too worked up about it. Case. In. Point.

And yeah, it’s a discussion forum. You give your opinion. I give mine.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I'd have left Butler off the roster and put Jaskin there instead. Whether we play Mikkola or Butler as the 6th D tomorrow, we are going to have a 7th D sitting in the press box who could have been placed in the AHL yesterday without needing waivers. If Ed is actually able to play, we will have 2 D sitting in the press box who could have been in the AHL without any risk of being lost to waivers.

I'm totally fine with the 12 forwards we kept over Jaskin. But Butler absolutely did not outplay Jaskin in camp. I don't understand carrying 9 D and 12 forwards. Again, I'm not losing too much sleep over it. But I really don't get the point of giving up our best depth forward in order to have an extra D man to sit in the press box for 1 game. After game 1, Bortz is back and you have to think that Jarabek's visa issue will be resolved within a couple days. Once that happens, Mikkola and Butler will both be in the AHL, we'll be carrying 8 D on the roster (not including Gunnar) and looking for a 13th forward to sit in the press box.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd have left Butler off the roster and put Jaskin there instead. Whether we play Mikkola or Butler as the 6th D tomorrow, we are going to have a 7th D sitting in the press box who could have been placed in the AHL yesterday without needing waivers. If Ed is actually able to play, we will have 2 D sitting in the press box who could have been in the AHL without any risk of being lost to waivers.

I'm totally fine with the 12 forwards we kept over Jaskin. But Butler absolutely did not outplay Jaskin in camp. I don't understand carrying 9 D and 12 forwards. Again, I'm not losing too much sleep over it. But I really don't get the point of giving up our best depth forward in order to have an extra D man to sit in the press box for 1 game. After game 1, Bortz is back and you have to think that Jarabek's visa issue will be resolved within a couple days. Once that happens, Mikkola and Butler will both be in the AHL, we'll be carrying 8 D on the roster (not including Gunnar) and looking for a 13th forward to sit in the press box.
I feel your concern but I'm hoping Fabbri will at least be close enough to act as the 13th guy for now. Until someone else gets injured I'm not too worried about it. Then Thorburn could just be called up or something. Which really isn't that big of a deal.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I feel your concern but I'm hoping Fabbri will at least be close enough to act as the 13th guy for now. Until someone else gets injured I'm not too worried about it. Then Thorburn could just be called up or something. Which really isn't that big of a deal.

I'd rather trade a 4th or 5th round pick for an actual 4th line hockey player than weigh down Thomas/Blais/etc by putting Thorbs on their wing. I don't think you can run a non-traditional 4th line that includes Thorburn and you certainly don't want Thorbs on your 3rd line.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
If Fabbri is not ready by time Soshnikov is clear and ready to play. I would much rather have Sosh as the 13th than Thorburn.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He played with Krejci and Pastrnak on Czech Republic's 1st line @ this year's WHC in Copenhagen and played outstandingly. So yes, getting more minutes with top guys in WSH will bring out the best in him - good decision.
:thumbu:
Interesting, that must be why he's been glued to the 4th line there.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->