Waived: Thorburn and Jaskin (Jaskin claimed by Washington)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I know this is being discussed elsewhere already, but significant happenings should really have their own threads.

At the very least, it makes it easy to see that something notable has happened for people who are just giving the forum a quick refresh without reading through every thread. It also makes it easier to search for topics later if you want to revisit something down the road.

Reactions: E76

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
To recap the discussion in other threads for those who don't want to track it down.

Re: Thornurn being waived -

Thorburn was waived...
giphy.gif

Re: Jaskin being waived

giphy.gif

Re: Jaskin being claimed:

1/2 =
394Qm3p.gif
1/2 =
tumblr_n7eoyoSTVe1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Which led to...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

And now you are caught up. Proceed.....(and sorry mobile users)

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Had Jaskin cleared all the other teams in order for the Caps to claim him or did the order get switched from earlier transactions? Anyone know how many teams actually passed on Jaskin?

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Thorburn has now cleared waivers twice in this calendar year I believe.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Had Jaskin cleared all the other teams in order for the Caps to claim him or did the order get switched from earlier transactions? Anyone know how many teams actually passed on Jaskin?
The order is currently based off last year's regular season standings, so the only teams that didn't get a shot at him were Vegas, Boston, Tampa, Winnipeg, and Nashville.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Honestly they can **** right off. I used to not have an issue with WSH but they have pretty much ruined that.

Why? I am one of Jaskin's biggest fans on the board. But I don't blame this on the Caps at all. Wilson is a POS. OK, sold on that. But the Capitals organization didn't have some elaborate plan to injure our prospects every year to make us carry cap in hopes we waived a bottom 6 player so they could claim him. That would be some diabolical villain type stuff there. Caps have a dumb player who gets suspended. We've had them too.

Capitals took Jaskin because he was the best player available when they needed someone. That's hockey. As has been pointed out, it is as much if not more Bortuzzo's fault he was made available as Wilson's. There is no reason to butterfly effect every bad thing that happens to us to blame Wilson.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
So they end up losing Jaškin to waivers. But, when Washington's injured players return, Jaškin may be waived, and The Blues would have first rights to reclaim him, and might do so, IF they have a couple forwards injured at that time. So this Washington waiver claim might be a way The Blues can "keep" extra depth, and get work for Jaškin, too, while The Blues are still relatively healthy, and they'll have a better player to fill in later, when he returns, than reaching down to Sundqvist and Thorburns' levels. IF The Blues don't reclaim Jaškin if and when Washington waives him, that means that The Blues are healthy, and have plenty of regulars playing, and depth to relieve them. So, I've got no problem with it. It's worth it to see them ice 4 lines with decent to very good scoring potential, and speed, to tire out opposing teams.

Reactions: jura and stl76

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Why? I am one of Jaskin's biggest fans on the board. But I don't blame this on the Caps at all. Wislon is a POS. OK, sold on that. But the Capitals organization didn't have some elaborate plan to injure our prospects every year to make us carry cap in hopes we waived a bottom 6 player so they could claim him. That would be some diabolical villain type stuff there. Caps have a dumb player who gets suspended. We've had them too.

Capitals took Jaskin because he was the best player available when they needed someone. That's hockey. As has been pointed out, it is as much if not more Bortuzzo's fault he was made available as Wilson's. There is no reason to butterfly effect every bad thing that happens to us to blame Wilson.

GMBM makes it sound like they claimed him just because Wilson is going to get suspended because of the hit on Sunny. If they claimed him because they actually want him that’s fine but the way his comment sound is they claimed him because Wilson is going to be suspended because of the Sunny hit where as if it was a different team they wouldn’t have claimed him.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
So they end up losing Jaškin to waivers. But, when Washington's injured players return, Jaškin may be waived, and The Blues would have first rights to reclaim him, and might do so, IF they have a couple forwards injured at that time. So this Washington waiver claim might be a way The Blues can "keep" extra depth, and get work for Jaškin, too, while The Blues are still relatively healthy, and they'll have a better player to fill in later, when he returns, than reaching down to Sundqvist and Thorburns' levels. IF The Blues don't reclaim Jaškin if and when Washington waives him, that means that The Blues are healthy, and have plenty of regulars playing, and depth to relieve them. So, I've got no problem with it. It's worth it to see them ice 4 lines with decent to very good scoring potential, and speed, to tire out opposing teams.

Assuming you are correct with the waiver system, I now speculate that Army had Bill do some apprenticeship work by letting Washington know they can borrow Jaskin for a bit to help us out for the bind we're in due to the player they just handed a large contract. The rest of the league obliged.

I agree, if the rookies learn to swim, we have plenty of depth. I personally think that guys like Musil, MacEachern, Foley, Stevens, or even Poganski could make the same impact that Jaskin made, which was zero. If only it were possible, I even think Toropchenko could add at least zero impact to the team.

I'm excited with what we've got, and I don't fear that our 4th line will become a casualty of depth when our 3rd line is Steen-Bozak-Perron and we still have Fabbri coming back as well. If it's February, we lose a top 6 forward or two, and Blais, Barbashev, Thomas, and Kyrou (or any other rookies) aren't top 6 players yet...we could still call Ottawa.

:D

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
GMBM makes it sound like they claimed him just because Wilson is going to get suspended because of the hit on Sunny. If they claimed him because they actually want him that’s fine but the way his comment sound is they claimed him because Wilson is going to be suspended because of the Sunny hit where as if it was a different team they wouldn’t have claimed him.

I think you’re taking MacLellan’s comment way out of context. He said he might not have claimed Jaskin if not for Wilson’s impending suspension. I would take that to mean, Wilson’s impending suspension opened up a need for a player so they took Jaskin, not, he saw he could screw the Blues so he did just because.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

We wouldn't get first claim. He'd go back around the waiver wire and we'd get whatever position we were at in the standoings. If nobody else claimed him, we'd be allowed to put him on our minor league team. But he never just resets to us. We have to claim him, and we have to have priority over whatever other team claims him. And we'd only be allowed to put him in the minors if no other team claimed him.

That's not at all what it sounded like. It sounded like they wouldn't have had room to pick him up if Wilson wasn't going to miss time. Let's say they had 14 forwards they like, you don't take a guy who you can't send to the minors and hope he works with the team because you'd have to send someone else down. When suddenly Wilson is suspended and you have a spot you can fill. It seems like you are reading too much into it for a non-direct quote taken out of context.

Reactions: Hivemind

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We wouldn't get first claim. He'd go back around the waiver wire and we'd get whatever position we were at in the standoings. If nobody else claimed him, we'd be allowed to put him on our minor league team. But he never just resets to us. We have to claim him, and we have to have priority over whatever other team claims him. And we'd only be allowed to put him in the minors if no other team claimed him.

This is 100% correct. With that said, almost the entire league just passed on him, so there is a decent chance he would fall to us if they put him back on waivers. Looking at the Caps roster, I do think it is pretty likely that Jaskin could get squeezed out of their lineup once Wilson returns from his inevitable suspension.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I think you’re taking MacLellan’s comment way out of context. He said he might not have claimed Jaskin if not for Wilson’s impending suspension. I would take that to mean, Wilson’s impending suspension opened up a need for a player so they took Jaskin, not, he saw he could screw the Blues so he did just because.

Most Blues thing ever.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I was rooting for Jaskin, but it wasnt looking like he was ever going to make a difference. Especially with Barbashev, Blais, Sanford, Stevens and Foley fighting for spots. And its rather obvious Kyrou and Thomas are ahead of him. There just wasnt room for a fringe 4th liner. Not going to lose sleep over it. We have good prospects coming out of our bungholes.

Reactions: Brockon

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Thanks for giving us the exact details. I was misinformed about the detailed workings of the reclaiming, because I saw so many times that the waived player returned to his former team after being dropped from the 1st claiming team. Of course, I mentioned that he'd only be reclaimed by The Blues, IF they were to have injuries to several forwards at the same time, later in the year, AND he'd likely have to stay on The Blues' NHL roster, or be claimed by a third team, who would also have to keep him on their NHL roster.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Jaskin is a great 4th line option, for that reason it's not a big deal that we lost him. 4th liners are the easiest positions to fill, especially 4th line wingers, and we can already do that internally.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
That said, quality 4th line grinders that can play up the line up are slightly harder to come across.

Brodziak was a really good example of this. Not a stud when playing up the lineup but not a scoring hindrance either.

Jaskin isn't going to be sorely missed, but I do think any internal replacements brought up from San Antonio are going to come with growing pains. Sanford, Musil, MacEachern, Foley, Stevens, or Poganski could come out flying, but I've got slightly lower expectations...

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
That said, quality 4th line grinders that can play up the line up are slightly harder to come across.

Brodziak was a really good example of this. Not a stud when playing up the lineup but not a scoring hindrance either.

Jaskin isn't going to be sorely missed, but I do think any internal replacements brought up from San Antonio are going to come with growing pains. Sanford, Musil, MacEachern, Foley, Stevens, or Poganski could come out flying, but I've got slightly lower expectations...

I agree. I think it’s disengunious to just list off our forward prospects and say they’d do just as well. Anyone who gets in the league as long as Jaskin has deserves some respect. He was a warrior and he took whatever role he was assigned without complaint. He worked hard on every shift. I think there might be a little untapped potential with him and I hope he finds it wherever he ultimately ends up with a real chance.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree. I think it’s disengunious to just list off our forward prospects and say they’d do just as well. Anyone who gets in the league as long as Jaskin has deserves some respect. He was a warrior and he took whatever role he was assigned without complaint. He worked hard on every shift. I think there might be a little untapped potential with him and I hope he finds it wherever he ultimately ends up with a real chance.
Don’t act like he didn’t get a “real chance” here.

And players of his caliber are moved all the time.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Feels like a dumb thing to say honestly. "Hey, we don't really want this guy, but whatever, he'll work for now." I'm sure that gives Jaskin a big boost of confidence.
Seems like he's likely to return to St Louis control when Washington needs to send him down after Bozo comes back from his supension.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Why? I am one of Jaskin's biggest fans on the board. But I don't blame this on the Caps at all. Wilson is a POS. OK, sold on that. But the Capitals organization didn't have some elaborate plan to injure our prospects every year to make us carry cap in hopes we waived a bottom 6 player so they could claim him. That would be some diabolical villain type stuff there. Caps have a dumb player who gets suspended. We've had them too.

If they did, how would it look different than what is actually happening?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad