Player Discussion Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
3 goals 3 assists, 4 of those on the PP and a +2.

Staal plus dead cap space = 1 goal <50% FO -2

Granlund moved to wing to open his game up = 1 assist

Its way to early to tell anything. Vanek is still looming next year and so far this year the return is less than just keeping him and having him totally off next year.

Would have been nice to see what he could have done with a real coach.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wasn't in favor of buying out Vanek- and I'm not a fan- but so far, I'll take Stewart and Staal over Vanek anyday.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Staal is playing great, and is a center. Even if Vanek scores near 30 goals I'd rather have Staal right now, he can actually play on both ends of the ice.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Buying out Vanek was a dollars thing, and a culture thing. Bruce wanted guys who can play all 3 zones. Zucker has 4 breakaways this season (though 0 goals) and Bruce still specifically calls out his defensive responsibility. Could you imagine how much he would freak out with Vanek on the roster? If his cap hit was the 2.6 he's getting from Detroit maybe that's another discussion, but for what we were paying him he didn't fit in.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Pretty sure Vanek had a pretty quick start here as well.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'd easily rather have Staal. Vanek was always streaky, wait till he goes cold: useless, useless, useless!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He'll cool down eventually. Vanek's a streaky player.

Still think he'll score 40-50 points. Wild needed a center, so they bought out Vanek to bring in Staal. We'll see if it was the correct decision.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
He can score ppg the whole season and i wouldn't care. I'm 95% sure that he wouldn't have do it in here and if he's your top scorer at this point your team isn't going anywhere.

Also lol at Yeo not being a "real" coach. Brutal just brutal..

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I wasn't in favor of buying out Vanek- and I'm not a fan- but so far, I'll take Stewart and Staal over Vanek anyday.

It looks good this year.

Next year we could have much more than those two.

You need to sign Haula, Granny, Reilly, Folin, Olofsson and Nino next year with 2.5 of that tied up in having Vanek not playing with us this year alone. Add in Keumper or Stalock as a back up? We will have roughly 12 mil open for those guys. Rather it be closer to 15 mil free.

Now you are looking at losing Scandella/Dumba to keep young talent that may or might not.

Might have to buy out Pomms to eek out some more cash but put your self back into the same problem you were just faced with.

Or hope the aging vets age like wine and not milk.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It looks good this year.

Next year we could have much more than those two.

You need to sign Haula, Granny, Reilly, Folin, Olofsson and Nino next year with 2.5 of that tied up in having Vanek not playing with us this year alone. Add in Keumper or Stalock as a back up? We will have roughly 12 mil open for those guys. Rather it be closer to 15 mil free.

Now you are looking at losing Scandella/Dumba to keep young talent that may or might not.

Might have to buy out Pomms to eek out some more cash but put your self back into the same problem you were just faced with.

Or hope the aging vets age like wine and not milk.

I think with $12m we can sign all of those + backup goalie, expect Granlund.

Pommer buyout next year only opens up $1.25m, would be 4 years of dead money, and you'd have to replace him in the roster. It'll probably end up costing more cap than keeping him. His last season makes more sense for a buyout.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Cool, I still like vanek. I think Yeo was fine for the most part, but his use of vanek pretty poor. He needs to be allowed to play his game to be effective. He'll still have problems because he's a flawed player. When he was made to play yeos way those warts didn't really go away but it hurt his ability to produce. We shouldn't have signed him if we weren't ready to let him play his maddening but entertaining style to the fullest.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Cool, I still like vanek. I think Yeo was fine for the most part, but his use of vanek pretty poor. He needs to be allowed to play his game to be effective. He'll still have problems because he's a flawed player. When he was made to play yeos way those warts didn't really go away but it hurt his ability to produce. We shouldn't have signed him if we weren't ready to let him play his maddening but entertaining style to the fullest.

Kane is entertaining. Vanek is not entertaining.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Kane is entertaining. Vanek is not entertaining.
67031947.jpg

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Uh, yeah, it's week 1. Vanek had question marks before we even signed him. It's great that he's doing well, but that is one very small sample size.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Well, he is playing for his life right now - I would be surprised if the buyout didn't give some extra motivation to show up ready to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad