Rumor: Thomas Vanek

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
What about Vanek with Buffalo eating $2.4m and no extension? I'd rather take the risk and give Buffalo less up front. If he leaves in UFA, it doesn't pain me that much because that's more $$$ we have for next year's UFA class - we actually have a chance to nab good players nw :handclap:

Vanek would be one of those good players that I would like a shot at. I like Vanek going back to his Gopher days.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They took two Cs in the last first round(Grigorenko and Gorgensens) and two Ds in this first round (Ristolainen and Zadorov). All four were very highly touted. They're deep all the way around on young talent.

They don't really have an offensive dynamo on the back end like Rundblad. They probably wouldn't mind some jam up front like Brown or Samuelsson after having moved out Kassian for Hodgson.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They can retain up to three point two million. Doubt they would, though. :)

I have no doubt in my mind that if it helps the price, the Sabres would retain half salary. No doubt.

Sabres needs: Picks, young wingers, maybe a hard-working 2-way, 3rd line type guy.

I'd imagine that Darcy would push to have your 2014 1st rounder in the deal. Boedker or Lessio might be of interest. Vermette or Korpikoski might interest us as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My concern is that we just gave Korpikoski a four year contract. Even though he's not too valuable a piece to consider in a Vanek trade (he is valuable but Vanek is obviously on another level), it just doesn't seem terribly realistic.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I don't want to get rid of Korpi though. He's been a player who has stuck through this entire ownership mess from day one. He loves it here, and we love his work ethic. I would really explore other options before trading away Korpi

ZeroPT*

I'm liking this thread.
Vanek
for
Runblad+Boedker/Korpi+1st
BTW guys, any talk of Boedker wanting out? I remember reading something about it but can't remember where.
Vanek-Ribeiro-Vrbata
Korpi/Boedker(not traded one)-Hanzal-Doan

Michalek-OEL
Yandle-Morris

Smith
Contender for at least a wild card spot.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I'm liking this thread.
Vanek
for
Runblad+Boedker/Korpi+1st
BTW guys, any talk of Boedker wanting out? I remember reading something about it but can't remember where.
Vanek-Ribeiro-Vrbata
Korpi/Boedker(not traded one)-Hanzal-Doan

Michalek-OEL
Yandle-Morris

Smith
Contender for at least a wild card spot.

No talk of Boedker wanting out, as far as we all know. To be honest, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell Boedker gets traded unless he's part of a deal for a significantly young and talented forward. Not saying Vanek isn't talented, he's just not so young anymore. Maloney loves Boedker, and Tippett has really begun to trust him. We all pegged this year to be his breakout year until it was shortened. He is a very talented hockey player and he is nowhere near his ceiling yet, in my opinion. The organization is very high on him, it would have to be something we absolutely couldn't turn down if we traded him. Probably why every Buffalo fan in this thread is ready to give up Vanek so easily for a deal including him. :laugh:

Don't think Boeds is going anywhere.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If the return isn't the same or better then:

Johan Larsson
Matt Hackett
2013 1st
2014 2nd

Then Vanek isn't moving.The owner and GM in Buffalo want to retain Vanek at all costs.They have no problem moving Miller but they want to build around Vanek.He isn't being moved for anything less then a king's ransom.35 goal scorers who are in the top 10 for goals scored since the 04-05 lockout are extremely scarce and valuable.Phoenix definitely has the pieces but think more like Gormley and not Rundblad.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Interestingly enough, a rumor on twitter has Buffalo as a late entry into the Jagr sweepstakes, and they are suspecting the reason why is because Vanek is about to be traded.

Update: Says Buffalo is throwing the most money at Jagr. Last minute desperation move?

Update #2: Same source says Buffalo has been proactive with Vanek, talking with Blues about him too.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He's 29. Do the Sabres have a time machine? I can see wanting to hang on to him to stay competitive, but 'building' around him is a bit of a stretch.

Vanek is by far the best player and one of the best goal scorers in franchise history.Terry Pegula was interviewed on air and he explicitly stated the team wants to keep Vanek at all costs.Vanek does not want to be here if the team plans on doing a long term rebuild but he is glad to re-sign if the team plans on trying to be competitive somewhat soon.

Interestingly enough, a rumor on twitter has Buffalo as a late entry into the Jagr sweepstakes, and they are suspecting the reason why is because Vanek is about to be traded.

Update: Says Buffalo is throwing the most money at Jagr. Last minute desperation move?

Update #2: Same source says Buffalo has been proactive with Vanek, talking with Blues about him too.

You are referencing this twitter account https://twitter.com/SabresFront

I will let you know that this guy is the biggest crock of **** on Twitter.None of what he said is true.Buffalo isn't in on Jagr and none of the rumored proposals are true.The Sabres are never in rumors because they don't let anything leak.There have been maybe one or two moves in the almost 17 years Regier has been GM that were talked about prior to happening.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Wonder if this has any legs to it now.

It's the exact player the Coyotes need. Problem is, even throwing the money out, he's a FA in waiting. It will cost, which is ok, as they have the depth, but would he want to stay? That's the big question.

Feb 12, 2003
There's not a lot of scoring on the farm that will coming up in the next couple of years at this point. We'll get Domi up next year but who knows after that. I would imagine that GMDM is looking for a younger guy, maybe mid-20's, to fill in that spot. I just can't see them trading for a star player.

Vanek is a great player, but I am really worried about giving up any assets for him without an extension. All the rumors are that he wants to go to Minny, who seems to be turning into the new hot destination for UFA's. There would have to be salary (Klesla) moving the other way to even begin this discussion and even then it's likely more than the budget we should be starting off the season with. Rental at the deadline? Possibly, but as it's been previously mentioned, Regier seems to ask for the moon or bust at the deadline and he's had some success in doing just that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Too much for 1 year of Vanek. :shakehead

I highly doubt we trade for Vanek. First of all he is a rental, second of all, we can't resign him to the money he will command as a UFA. Maybe he is a short term solution at the dead line provided we are playing well and DM thinks we have a shot at a long run in the playoffs. Even then, Chicago, Boston, Pitt, among others will be waving more assets then we will as they will think they have a shot a resigning him, after they go far in the playoffs, perhaps win the cup. I like him as a player, I just don't see him in Phoenix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad