Rumor: Thomas Vanek

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I guess it depends on whether there is an extension or not as to whether a deal like this would be worth it.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
This is clearly listed as a rumor... but, I made a call back to MN last night to talk with some friends & family about how their 4th was. Long story short a friend of mine who I attended the University of Minnesota with asked me "How does it feel to have the Yotes trying to make a move on Vanek?" :naughty:

Clearly this was the first I've heard of the situation, but as it was pointed out to me it kind of makes sense for the following reasons...

A) We now have a legit 1st line Center for him.

B) We have the prospects to give up as supposedly that is the route Buffalo wants to go... Prospects/Picks

C) Tippett is a lot like Lindy Ruff.

D) We could use help on the RW

I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard anything on this. If he is dealt elsewhere I wonder how "In the running" the Yotes truly were. Seems like an odd rumor, agreed, but stranger things have happened.

I'm not doubting you or your friend's credibility or anything, but are you sure he didn't just read this on Eklund's page or something? Would he have anyway of knowing any insider info or is he just like us? I hope I'm not coming off as dickish because I'm literally just genuinely curious. Can't drop a bomb on me like this and expect me not to want to know more :laugh:

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
OK. I can think of a lot of deals with conditional picks depending on contract extensions, I just couldn't remember an actual player trade with baked in new contract, or sign and trade types of deals.

The conditional pick if they sign is pretty common but I cannot think of 1 sign and trade in recent history in the NHL.

I wont pretend to know alot about Vanek, but Bobby Ryan is a top 10 player in the league. He's that good. Is Vanek comparable? Just looking at numbers, he's not worth $6.4 mil.

I hunt, fish & break bread with a handful of NHL D-men from time to time & I can tell you more than a few of them would flat out disagree with you not thinking Bobby Ryan is a "Top 10" talent to defend against.

I'm not doubting you or your friend's credibility or anything, but are you sure he didn't just read this on Eklund's page or something? Would he have anyway of knowing any insider info or is he just like us? I hope I'm not coming off as dickish because I'm literally just genuinely curious. Can't drop a bomb on me like this and expect me not to want to know more :laugh:

You aren't coming off "Dick-ish" at all, but if you go back over my posts over the past few years you will see I have credibility. I just don't post a lot because it's the internet & when my friends talk I value their trust in what they tell me. I feel this has validity, so I posted it. Will it come to fruition? I don't know, but I know I know for a fact my friend didn't get the story from Eklund.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I like Vanek a lot, the way he circles around the crease and all, and I could see him do well under Tippett's expert coaching. However as much as I would like this to happen, it really looks like it would take a lot of positive circumstances for this to happen.

RABBIT

I hunt, fish & break bread with a handful of NHL D-men from time to time & I can tell you more than a few of them would flat out disagree with you not thinking Bobby Ryan is a "Top 10" talent to defend against.

You aren't coming off "Dick-ish" at all, but if you go back over my posts over the past few years you will see I have credibility. I just don't post a lot because it's the internet & when my friends talk I value their trust in what they tell me. I feel this has validity, so I posted it. Will it come to fruition? I don't know, but I know I know for a fact my friend didn't get the story from Eklund.

Good stuff man, if you can, let us know if you hear anymore!

Last edited:

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

You aren't coming off "Dick-ish" at all, but if you go back over my posts over the past few years you will see I have credibility.

Did some digging and since you mentioned the Minnesota North Stars left and you have buddy on the roster as to you being Coyote fan. Then looking through more posts and a trend of Kurt Sauer seemed to form. I looked up some information on Kurt Sauer and it turns out he is St. Cloud Minnesota. Which I am going to assume you are from Minnesota yourself. I also took a look at pro-staff for the fishing website I saw. So it leads me to believe that

A) Your last name is Sauer (Kurt or relative)

B) Kurt Sauer is your buddy

:)

RABBIT

Did some digging and since you mentioned the Minnesota North Stars left and you have buddy on the roster as to you being Coyote fan. Then looking through more posts and a trend of Kurt Sauer seemed to form. I looked up some information on Kurt Sauer and it turns out he is St. Cloud Minnesota. Which I am going to assume you are from Minnesota yourself. I also took a look at pro-staff for the fishing website I saw. So it leads me to believe that

A) Your last name is Sauer (Kurt or relative)

B) Kurt Sauer is your buddy

:)

let's not expose the man he can get in trouble by sharing! Don't bite the hand that feeds you ;)

haha I won't bug him about it

I saw the words "Go ahead and look at my past posts" and it sparked my curiosity. Its hard for me to turn down a challenge.

Kurt is one of many good friends of my from back home, but he has ZERO to do with this. I want to be on the record as I have never shared any info from him or his brothers without their consent first. That is the only reason I have used their names in the past with certain posts.

I appreciate that you said sparked vs piqued (As this means to raise interest in anger). Again, you are correct, I did say to check my previous posts, but it had more to do with the credibility of them vs the source in which I heard the rumor.

This thread was not started to get peoples hopes up or to throw feces against the wall hoping it sticks. I was lead to believe that there was at least discussion of a trade between the Sabres & Yotes, since I have lived in Phx since '05 & I am a fan my friends thought I would get excited over it. I just hope there's no bad karma bought on by this.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ

Look who's posting again. Thought you had abandoned us. Good to see you back. :)

Feb 12, 2003
On a side note I'm pretty sure Panger either posted on here or reads here. There were times he would discuss things that were a hot topic unique to HFBoards at the time. Todd Walsh is another one I am pretty sure is lurking around here. I've heard him do the same thing.

Either way, more credit to HockeyHillbilly if he has insider information. I don't fault him for sharing any info he has and I appreciate him doing so (no offense, I am assuming a masculine).

I'm not crazy about a Vanek trade. Obviously we are in a position that we need to add talent, but he's not a player I would want to pay that price for in terms of both assets and salary/cap space (not that cap space is a concern for us at this time).

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
What about Vanek with Buffalo eating $2.4m and no extension? I'd rather take the risk and give Buffalo less up front. If he leaves in UFA, it doesn't pain me that much because that's more $$$ we have for next year's UFA class - we actually have a chance to nab good players nw :handclap:

Does Connor Murphy have any value? Murphy and a 2nd - close at all? Really need to avoid giving up Gormley or Rundblad since I have a hunch our plans for next year are to let Morris and Klesla walk, saving about $4m by replacing them with our 2 young Dmen.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Kurt is one of many good friends of my from back home, but he has ZERO to do with this. I want to be on the record as I have never shared any info from him or his brothers without their consent first. That is the only reason I have used their names in the past with certain posts.

Awesome, I hope he is doing well. Last I heard about him was some brain center reached out to him to help him recover. The article I read said it had helped Kurt get rid of some persistent headaches and get back to somewhat normal. Terrible it happened to him and I hope he is doing well.

I appreciate that you said sparked vs piqued (As this means to raise interest in anger). Again, you are correct, I did say to check my previous posts, but it had more to do with the credibility of them vs the source in which I heard the rumor.

Never have really used piqued..also never really knew that it meant interest in anger. Good thing I am a bad speller and chose the more simple word to use or I might have accidentally said the wrong thing.

This thread was not started to get peoples hopes up or to throw feces against the wall hoping it sticks. I was lead to believe that there was at least discussion of a trade between the Sabres & Yotes, since I have lived in Phx since '05 & I am a fan my friends thought I would get excited over it. I just hope there's no bad karma bought on by this.

I am always interested in any information. No matter who gets acquired, I will root for them and hope they perform there best while with the coyotes.

I do not know much about Vanek other than he is pretty good rom what I have seen. I think he would be a good player to get on the coyotes roster

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Assuming the Sabres are about to go into a rebuild, they should have plenty of cash available. Retaining a portion of Vanek's salary shouldn't be a problem. This is same owner that gave the 'OK' for $10 million a year to Christian Ehrhoff.

I have to think we unload some of our defensive D to get this done. Rundblad + Klesla + a third piece.

There is a thread on this over at the Sabres' board. Prices seem pretty reasonable. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1463219

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Prices seem pretty reasonable.

If we are talking salary retained, pre-negotiated extension, the price will be ugly. One or more fan favorites will be leaving the Coyotes if it ever goes down. Assuming that it isn't for Yandle...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If we are talking salary retained, pre-negotiated extension, the price will be ugly. One or more fan favorites will be leaving the Coyotes if it ever goes down. Assuming that it isn't for Yandle...

I'd hate to throw names out there but I wonder if Vrbata is available?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Other than guys on ELC he's gotta have one of the best bang for buck contracts in the NHL. I don't think he goes anywhere.

That said, I think DM takes the approach of just about everyone is available for the right package. Thinking of all the Yandle discussions over the years.

EDIT: To put it another way, Boyd freaking Gordon has the same contact has 35 goal scorer Radim Vrbata.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

That'd be an idiotic sideways move. Possibly even a downgrade. Can't find a better player out there for $3m. I think some combination of a 1st or 2nd, Rundblad or Klesla, Samuelsson or Boedker gets us close. Or Yandle straight up/minor add

Like I said, ugly. You pay a premium if you want salary retained, doubly so if you want to negotiate an extension. For the first time in well over a decade the Coyotes would have a true top line. Maybe that's the thought process here. We've yet to see Maloney Unchained (tm)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Assuming the Sabres are about to go into a rebuild, they should have plenty of cash available. Retaining a portion of Vanek's salary shouldn't be a problem. This is same owner that gave the 'OK' for $10 million a year to Christian Ehrhoff.

I have to think we unload some of our defensive D to get this done. Rundblad + Klesla + a third piece.

There is a thread on this over at the Sabres' board. Prices seem pretty reasonable. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1463219

Buffalo is pretty loaded on defense prospects.

Regier would likely want Boedker/Korpikoski, a good prospect and a first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad