Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNwild10

Oct 4, 2004
bleublancrouge said:
I need your opinion. In a keeper's league, someone offered me Thomas Vanek for Ales Hemsky. Who of Vanek and Hemsky will have a brighter futur? Should I make the trade? Thanks

Vanek will have a sweet career. Take Vanek and run.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That's a toss-up if I ever saw one. Well, Hemsky is more safe at this point, but Vanek has probably one of the highest upsides in all of hockey.

It's up to you. Gamble or take the "safer" player? I would personally gamble here...

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
"highest upsides in all of hockey"?

right...
In terms of goal scoring, there's probably no other prospect with an upside as big as Vanek. Not even Zherdev.

The only problem is, it's very unlikely he reaches it.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Moskau said:
In terms of goal scoring, there's probably no other prospect with an upside as big as Vanek. Not even Zherdev.

The only problem is, it's very unlikely he reaches it.

Better then Ovechkin, I doubt it....

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
CRAZY_FAN said:
Better then Ovechkin, I doubt it....
Better goal scorer? Yes.

This is all upside mind you.

Most people have Ovechkin pegged as a 30 goal player with intangibles that make up for any difference between other high scoring players.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Moskau said:
Better goal scorer? Yes.

This is all upside mind you.

Most people have Ovechkin pegged as a 30 goal player with intangibles that make up for any difference between other high scoring players.
?

I though Ovechkin was supposed to be a game breaking goal scorer, like Kovalchuk but better.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
triggrman said:
?

I though Ovechkin was supposed to be a game breaking goal scorer, like Kovalchuk but better.
He's supposed to be a Fedorov type, just a better leader and a better checker.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
He sure did not look like a 30 goals scorer in the world cup! 30 goals is good but this guy will put more impressive numbers in is NHL carrer if all fall into place. 50 goals is not out of question in my mind ! I think Vanek is good, dont get me wrong, but just not the best prospect !

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
CRAZY_FAN said:
He sure did not look like a 30 goals scorer in the world cup! 30 goals is good but this guy will put more impressive numbers in is NHL carrer if all fall into place. 50 goals is not out of question in my mind ! I think Vanek is good, dont get me wrong, but just not the best prospect !

Exactly. I've seen Ovechkin play one time - in the World Championships - and he really impressed me. I've never seen a 18 years old that good. He will score more than 30 goals - in fact, I think he will be the best player in the NHL.

As for Vanek, I don't like him. He will be a top liner but will never be in the league of Ovechkin.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
pavel datsyuk said:
well in that case, i'd rather have fedorov over jagr...
Thank you for actually reading my posts.

Moskau said:

X-SHARKIE

Lets just clear this up.

Ovechkin >>>>> Vanek.

I love Vanek, recently in my keeper league I traded a late 1st in 05, and Radulov for him.

Vanek is one of the best snipers i've seen in awhile coming up. This guy is extremely competitive in the offensive zone and does everything it takes to score at the next level.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Has anyone gotten the chance to see him in rocester in the first two games theyve had? I know that hes fired a decent amount of shots off but has nothing to show statistically for it yet... Hows he been playing? What type of player is he? More of a fast player or more of a dangler like datyuk with size?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Eb0la11 said:
Has anyone gotten the chance to see him in rocester in the first two games theyve had? I know that hes fired a decent amount of shots off but has nothing to show statistically for it yet... Hows he been playing? What type of player is he? More of a fast player or more of a dangler like datyuk with size?
He's been invisible.

He's neither of what you thought.

If I had to compare his style (the good part of it), he would compare to Jagr or Hossa. Most of his moves involve skating as fast as he can up the side of the boards with the defender on his side, and then trying to make a move to get the defender to lose a step on him or peel out and fall so that Vanek can walk in alone.

His first step is horrible (I compare it to an 80 year old sprinting) but he owns better top end speed than people here will lead you to believe.

The first period I saw him he literally sat at the opposition blue line on the Powerplay while his teammates were outcycled 4 on 4. He got better at not doing this as the game went on.

I think he's already being bothered by a wrist injury after he tried catching a puck and was slashed in the wrist.

He's very slick near thet net, to the side, in front or behind it. He wanted to set up the play from behind it. The best play he made in the game was burning by someone on the boards, banking the puck off a defender behind the net, acting like he was going out in front as the defender regained posistion, and then cdoing a 180 right back at the same defender blowing by him and passing it out in front to an open player.

But that's been about it. It hasn't helped that Derek Roy played probably the worst game of his career in any league. Wasn't the Derek Roy who played with the Amerks and Sabres last year. Vanek didn't get a single tape to tape pass all night.

I'm anxious to see him finally get a decent shot one on one with a goalie.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Eb0la11 said:

He was pretty invisble against Milwuakee. Then again, he faced one of the best defenses in the league, with Hamhuis/Suter as a top pairing...

I might take Vanek here because you probably could pawn him off for a better package then you could with Hemsky. Who knows though.... :dunno:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Enoch said:
He was pretty invisble against Milwuakee. Then again, he faced one of the best defenses in the league, with Hamhuis/Suter as a top pairing...

I might take Vanek here because you probably could pawn him off for a better package then you could with Hemsky. Who knows though.... :dunno:

Ovy is a Kovalchuck who backchecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->