Confirmed with Link: Thomas Traded to Islanders

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
AND it can be argued that it has worked out well for all concerned. Bruins don't have to absorb the cap hit and pay his salary for the last year of his contract, Islanders reach the floor, Tim is still home with his family, Tuukka Rask is playing as the #1 for the Bs.

There's a downside here?

I thought Boston was left "in a lurch":laugh:

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
I thought Boston was left "in a lurch":laugh:

Uh huh. Try calling up Chiarelli and maybe you both can have a good laugh at Thomas's sabbatical really having no adverse effect on the B's since day he publicly walked away.

I'm sure he thinks it's totally hilarious. He'd probably forget all those hours he was forced to put in to figure out a way to get out from under a dead cap hit. Or trying to find some way to move on without giving anything up. Or how some $$ decisions may have been impacted until the day Snow did B's a favor.

Pretty naive to think of the recent clean break and not consider how much the 8 months prior sucked for PC to try and clean up the mess it did to the B's Cap.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Uh huh. Try calling up Chiarelli and maybe you both can have a good laugh at Thomas's sabbatical really having no adverse effect on the B's since day he publicly walked away.

I'm sure he thinks it's totally hilarious. He'd probably forget all those hours he was forced to put in to figure out a way to get out from under a dead cap hit. Or trying to find some way to move on without giving anything up. Or how some $$ decisions may have been impacted until the day Snow did B's a favor.

Pretty naive to think of the recent clean break and not consider how much the 8 months prior sucked for PC to try and clean up the mess it did to the B's Cap.
It was less than a month between the adoption of the new CBA and Chia shipping out Thomas' contract (something he would have been unable to do if Thomas retired).

Chia's paid well to do his job. Dealing with this stuff is his job. If he thinks it sucks he can always quit and spend more time with his family.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
Guys, the controversy wasn't that he left the game but how he did it. Saying, in the same breath, that he was leaving to spend time with family and god, while also stating a wish to play in Sochi, while also pimping his friend's business on Facebook is odd.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Guys, the controversy wasn't that he left the game but how he did it. Saying, in the same breath, that he was leaving to spend time with family and god, while also stating a wish to play in Sochi, while also pimping his friend's business on Facebook is odd.

I don't see any contradiction between needing to take some time off from the NHL and focusing on those interests.

member 96824

Mr. Thomas! You WILL play! Screw your family, you must entertain me! Dance Timmy, Dance!

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I have a hard time womdering why people can't separate Tim Thomas the hockey player and Tim Thomas the outspoken public figure. Like others have mentioned, I'm about as left as someone can be, but I don't parlay his political beliefs onto my appreciation and respect for him as a goalie.

Why can't it just be "thanks for bringing us a Cup, Tim!" instead of "thanks for giving us the Cup but glad you're gone."

Different sport, but Barry Sanders left football still very much in his prime, while he was in dispute with the Lions over his contract, and he admitted a few years later he didn't want to stay with Detroit because he was tired of losing. Barry Sanders is still revered as a god, but he left under questionable, almost "selfish" circumstances as well.

I just don't get it. People should seriously consider moving on with it.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I have a hard time womdering why people can't separate Tim Thomas the hockey player and Tim Thomas the outspoken public figure. Like others have mentioned, I'm about as left as someone can be, but I don't parlay his political beliefs onto my appreciation and respect for him as a goalie.

Why can't it just be "thanks for bringing us a Cup, Tim!" instead of "thanks for giving us the Cup but glad you're gone."

Different sport, but Barry Sanders left football still very much in his prime, while he was in dispute with the Lions over his contract, and he admitted a few years later he didn't want to stay with Detroit because he was tired of losing. Barry Sanders is still revered as a god, but he left under questionable, almost "selfish" circumstances as well.

I just don't get it. People should seriously consider moving on with it.

Bottom line, it's the insecurity they have in their own belief system. Some people just can't stand to have their beliefs challenged in any way shape or form. They go Lee Harvey on you, and there's no coming back. I have friends like that, who I just don't dare discuss politics with, period. If I can have friends and family like that, a dude in goalie pads winning Stanley Cups for me is a no brainer.

Missing the plot. Completely.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
It was less than a month between the adoption of the new CBA and Chia shipping out Thomas' contract (something he would have been unable to do if Thomas retired).

Chia's paid well to do his job. Dealing with this stuff is his job. If he thinks it sucks he can always quit and spend more time with his family.

That's not the issue. He signed a contract saying he would play. What happened to living up
to what you promise. I wouldn't want to hire people to do jobs for me that walk away from contracts they sign pal.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
That's not the issue. He signed a contract saying he would play. What happened to living up
to what you promise. I wouldn't want to hire people to do jobs for me that walk away from contracts they sign pal.

He signed a contract saying he would play hockey in exchange for compensation. He didn't play, he didn't get paid. No harm, no foul.

It's almost the exact same thing as retiring, except that by not retiring he allowed the Bruins to move his cap hit.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
He signed a contract saying he would play hockey in exchange for compensation. He didn't play, he didn't get paid. No harm, no foul.

It's almost the exact same thing as retiring, except that by not retiring he allowed the Bruins to move his cap hit.

If everyone pulled crap like that throughout society you wouldn't be so non - chalant about it. You'd have total chaos. Hey TT can do what he wants. Just don't tell me what he did has no impact on Boston. It still does.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

Derisively referring to other posters as "pal" is not an effective method of fostering a good discussion.

Oh wait, TT thread, nvm.

member 96824

If everyone pulled crap like that throughout society you wouldn't be so non - chalant about it. You'd have total chaos. Hey TT can do what he wants. Just don't tell me what he did has no impact on Boston. It still does.

If you wanted to go in to work tomorrow and put your two weeks in, you're completely allowed to...just like anyone else, and it's not total chaos.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

On who?

The Bruins have his cap money to play with.

They have an elite goaltender, frankly an above-average backup.

Who the heck is it impacting, other than people who can't get past the fact that the man voiced some opinions that some people (myself included) happen to disagree with?

If it's impacting your life, you're taking Tim Thomas entirely too seriously.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
If you wanted to go in to work tomorrow and put your two weeks in, you're completely allowed to...just like anyone else, and it's not total chaos.

You obviously haven't been around the workforce long. Try imagining a key surgeon, lawyer or engineer behaving like that. Then tell me how little impact there is in the world. What happens
if a cop of fireman quits with 2 weeks notice. Yeah ok.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
You obviously haven't been around the workforce long. Try imagining a key surgeon, lawyer or engineer behaving like that. Then tell me how little impact there is in the world. What happens
if a cop of fireman quits with 2 weeks notice. Yeah ok

Both have long lines of people willing to take and do their jobs. Next man up. Zero impact if a cop or fireman quits. The difference is generally they're not in good enough financial shape to support a family if they quit their job. Pro athletes are

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

Really?

People leave for other opportunities ALL THE TIME and give anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks notice.

"Haven't been around the workforce long." :laugh: C'mon man. This is laughable.

Plus, still waiting for you to mention how Tim Thomas is STILL IMPACTING BOSTON omgz.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

But we aren't talking a/b a cop, or a surgeon, air traffic controller, or a fireman. We're talking a/b a professional hockey goalie, who in all likelihood, was going to be dealt once his NTC waved bye bye.

Does he get any credit for also turning down trades in 2010 that likely save us from being losers in 2011? Was that selfish, too? In the real world, experience and accomplishment mean something. Salary cap, coupled w/ TT's age, factor in Tuukka's maturity, pretty much dictated Chiarelli was going to deal a Conn Smythe recipient. You know how those walk through our door every day.

That doesn't jive w/ the real world either.

member 96824

Surgeons, Lawyers, Engineers, Cops, Firemen...guess what.

They all quit at some point or another...and it's not chaos.

member 96824

Again what happened to honoring your word?

The Bruins tried to deal him even after giving him a no trade clause in his contract. What happened to them honoring theirs? It's a business, **** changes.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

This is far fetched. PC probably knew there was a messy transition from Tim to Tuukka and the way this played out is OK with him. PC probably also knew in order to avert a goaltending controversy which wasn't neccessary since it was Tuukka time he was going to have to dump Timmy to Edmonton around July 1st when his NTC expired and look like a bad guy because TT wasn't going to take that quietly.

This is how it played out. Its a unique situation and its OK for fans to each feel a little differently (and they're gonna anyways because of Tim's activism) I still think TIm is a hero in Boston but while I want his number retired I am not really rooting for him to get his way in his post Bruins career and get to a team of his choice because he isn't playing the year of his deal. Hope the Isles toll his contract. But I still love the guy for his play in 2011 and think he's the organizations best goalie ever.

I hope in a couple years all the BS is forgotten and the guy feels the appreciation from the fans. He didn't quit or anything its just a unique situation where he acted before he could be traded somewhere he didn't want to be because he wasn't getting the chance to fight for his job again.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Fwiw Thomas ended up giving chia 8 months notice.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

He certainly has the right to not fulfill the terms of his contract. Since he didn't provide his agreed upon services in his fourth year, the counterparty is not obligated to fulfill their terms, and that is that.

Let's not overlook that such a move shows poor character on Thomas' part. While legal and within his rights, this type of move is not looked upon favorably in business.

He fulfilled the first three years while the terms were most favorable to him (ntc, 85% payout) and effectively terminated the agreement in year four when the terms were less favorable to him (no ntc, 15% payout of total contract). Both parties negotiated the four year deal in good faith that all four years would be fulfilled.

The team gave up term leverage in the first three years with the understanding that some of it would be gained back in year four, providing optionality for the team.

In other words, the Bruins likely would not have agreed to a three year, $17mm deal with a full ntc. They agreed to those terms with the good faith understanding that the fourth year terms would be honored.

Poor character on Tim's part. A contracter in almost any other walk of life wouldnt last long taking that approach. Obviously Tim is in a very specialized set of circumstances where that is not a cincern, but that doesnt change the fact thst its bad business and shows poor character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->