Thomas placed on IR

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
man, i'll bet it's the groin again. tough injury to over come especially for a goaltender. i think he came back too soon and now he may be out longer. i hope he's back soon, but want him to heal adequately before he returns.

Clockwork4168

#CatsAreComing
Oct 16, 2012
Hialeah, FL
Thought it had something to do with his knee after looking at the replay. Even Dineen mentioned not being the same injury, but who really knows. Sucks he couldn't finish the game yesterday.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Not good news at all... :(

He is 39 already, recovery from injuries is going get slower and slower. Not to mention the chance of putting him in an injury spiral since you can´t play at all with these types of injuries if you are a goalie. He needs to be 100% to come back which in worst case scenario could take forever at his age.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
man, i'll bet it's the groin again. tough injury to over come especially for a goaltender. i think he came back too soon and now he may be out longer. i hope he's back soon, but want him to heal adequately before he returns.

Expected that. Dineen said he won't play Friday or Sunday. Probably groin pull.

Dineen already said it was not the groin

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
This sucks. Not confident with Markstrom has showed so far

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
Seriously? Was it written in some ancient mayan calendar that our goalie tandem this season would be Marky and Clemmer or something? I don't mind Marky as much he's been a good back up at least but if we end up having a game with Clemmer starting we might as well throw in the towel especially if it turns into a shootout.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Hate to see any injury of course but this is a blessing in disguise. Maelstrom needs the playing time and deserves the playing time.

Ruston*

Markstrom is a disaster. Team will panic in front of him, fearing any shot from any angle/distance willfind it's way into the net.

My heart goes out to those that still believe in this kid. He doesn't pass my sniff test. Doesn't have it. Never will.

You can be sure DT takes a goalie within the first 3 rounds of the next draft.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Markstrom is a disaster. Team will panic in front of him, fearing any shot from any angle/distance willfind it's way into the net.

My heart goes out to those that still believe in this kid. He doesn't pass my sniff test. Doesn't have it. Never will.

Wow with that well thought out argument supported by facts.

I can no longer root for Marky, for clearly Ive missed the boat on him...

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

Lol.

How'd you get close enough to sniff him?

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
who knows, if clemmer actually gets some playing time he might rebound and be okay. not much confidence in markstrom as a starter. you can wrant all you want but clemmer was great in the playoff year and hasn't gotten a sniff this year.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
Placed on Injured Reserve, Tim Thomas to miss at least weekend's games; Cats work on shooting accuracy at practice.

haha best part, bout time

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

:shakehead

Goalies, even more so than defensemen, take time to develop. Look at the best goaltenders in the league and look at the age they became "good"

Ryan Miller - 2006-2007 @ 26/27 years old
Lundqvist - 2006 @ 24 years old
Quick - 2012 @ 26 years old
Craig Anderson - 2010 @ 29 years old
just to mention a few.... there are numerous examples of this.

Markstrom is 23 years old. You can see he still needs development but he has improved a lot since he first played for the Panthers a couple of seasons ago. You can't write him off just yet. And people shouldn't be too upset about his shootout performance, coming in late to the game and having to face Toews, Kane and Sharp... I mean.. come on. That's a rough shootout line up.

Last edited:

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

You're just the worst. You're basing this off a 23 year old getting beat in a shootout by the defending champs with some of the best shootout shooters in the league and forgetting games like the last one Thomas went out of and he stopped nearly everything thrown at him cold off the bench.

Go back under your rock.

Panthers607

lol uhh yeaah about that......

:shakehead

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
So, you view overtime losses as the exact same thing as losses during regular play?

The thing is that it's not easy to find goaltenders that are able to step into the NHL and play well before they've turned 25. It takes time for them to mature. Do you think it's easy for GMs to find good goaltending at the draft? That Markström will definitely be supplanted by some new prospect? Good luck with that.

Here are the top ten goalies - by winning percentage - from the 2006 to 2010 drafts:
Drafted |W |L |OT |GAA |SV% |SO
34th |9 |4 |0 |2.46 |.905 |1
93rd |40 |20 |4 |2.47 |.922 |7
99th |55 |32 |14 |2.73 |.915 |10
34th |56 |36 |11 |2.67 |.909 |7
11th |34 |23 |6 |2.33 |.916 |7
120th |14 |10 |1 |2.94 |.901 |1
23rd |72 |59 |18 |2.57 |.914 |11
46th |21 |20 |8 |2.71 |.914 |3
207th |26 |25 |3 |2.72 |.907 |2
69th |101 |106 |27 |2.86 |.905 |19

Lehner isn't included in the table above, he is 11th with his current 9-11-4 record.

Which two goaltenders would you most like to have on your team? Holtby and Varlamov?

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
His career #s are...

11 W - 25 L
3.15 GAA
90.3 SV%
0 SO

There, defended my assertion that Markstrom is nothing special.

Care to prove me wrong?

With the exception of 2012 when we made the playoffs and he only played a hand full of games, he's been playing behind a AHL squad playing in the NHL. That's where you get proven that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to our team. Does he need to be better this year? Yes. But don't bring up his win loss record like it actually proves something. Our team is young and crap right now. We know that. We're going threw growing pains. Markstroms stats are going to suffer because of that.

Ruston*

With the exception of 2012 when we made the playoffs and he only played a hand full of games, he's been playing behind a AHL squad playing in the NHL. That's where you get proven that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to our team. Does he need to be better this year? Yes. But don't bring up his win loss record like it actually proves something. Our team is young and crap right now. We know that. We're going threw growing pains. Markstroms stats are going to
suffer because of that.

So his crap stats are everyone's fault but his? Gotcha!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad