Thomas Larkin charged for blindside hit, What would happen in the NHL?

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I don't like law enforcement becoming involved in incidents that occur within the context of a sporting event, but surely there's a line in all sports beyond which the authorities must act. A case can certainly be made that Larkin crossed that line.

This hit occurred over a year ago, and the Swedish authorities just today decided to press charges. Can any Swedes explain the delay?

It's in the article linked in the OP:

Johansson said last month's ruling by Sweden's Supreme Court in which a Swedish hockey player was found guilty of assault for cross-checking an opponent paved the way for criminal prosecution.

ciderfylla

Dec 28, 2015
I don't like law enforcement becoming involved in incidents that occur within the context of a sporting event, but surely there's a line in all sports beyond which the authorities must act. A case can certainly be made that Larkin crossed that line.

This hit occurred over a year ago, and the Swedish authorities just today decided to press charges. Can any Swedes explain the delay?

As far as I'm aware, there were no charges pressed at the time, but a Swedish prosecutor has looked over the incident. A few weeks ago media was reporting that it could go to trial, and now it is.

Not the first time this has happened. Jakob Lilja got sentenced to probation for battery after another illegal challenge a few years ago. It went all the way to the Supreme Court, so there's a precedent for this.

Reactions: SabresSharks

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I can't believe some of the comments in this thread. Without knowing any history the players may have, I have to say it looks as if it's possible Larkin was about to accidentally collide with him, and unfortunately got his stick up as a reflex.

I'm not saying that's what happened but it's certainly possible.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
That hit was absolutely criminal.

There was some obvious intent to injure there and would face a double digit suspension in the NHL or possibly even a full season suspension. I wouldn’t be surprised if he faced criminal charges either. A vicious dirty hit like that can have severely adverse affects on the human brain and body. Who knows how this will effect his life going forward. Hockey is only a game and nobody signs up for that.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Last edited:

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
To make matters worse, this happened at the final minute of "lost" playoff game.

By "lost" I mean it was almost impossible to recover. As seen in graphics, half a minute remaining and two goals behind. So situation-wise it can be compared to Dale Hunter's actions against Pierre Turgeon in 1993.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Imagine being at any other job, attacking someone to the point where their lives are altered and thinking that an appropriate punishment is getting a couple days of work to think about what you did. Then it’s right back at it.
Lol, what?

Sorry but this is such a terrible argument. Why are you comparing hockey to any other job?

If you body check somebody in your office or throw punches at them are you going to sit in a box for 2 minutes and then resume work? You sound like a clown.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Lol, what?

Sorry but this is such a terrible argument. Why are you comparing hockey to any other job?

If you body check somebody in your office or throw punches at them are you going to sit in a box for 2 minutes and then resume work? You sound like a clown.

Someone needs to check out Terry Tates job….. ;)

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Wow, charged?
Back in the day, this would have been the main marketing footage for Rock Em Sock em 12!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There's always a sort of acceptance of risk when playing hockey (especially at a Professional level) and there's gotta be some onus on the players to keep their head up and not put themselves in dangerous situations. Even just accepting the risk of inadvertent collisions that can, and do happen away from the play at times.

But that hit was just...lol. That's well beyond and outside the scope of a hard hockey play. That's just blatantly running a guy over away from the puck. That's major disciplinary action in pretty much any brand of hockey, in pretty much any era i've been alive for at least. Given the apparent context with the game situation on top of it all, i'm not at all surprised there's legal action outside the game involved. Accepting liability playing hockey isn't just open season on attacking people.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
We've seen worse in the NHL without the league doing anything about it.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Frankly Domi was lucky he wasn't charged for the elbow on Niedermayer. That's the most similar attack I recall from the NHL. But I'm sure I'm missing something.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
all nhl suspensions even if player had no puck, the puck was still kinda close, or the player was at least kinda close to the play or puck carrier...but this one is a lot worse, the game was over which is key, the play and puck wasn't even in their area, and he hit him hard

this is a 40 gamer in the nhl no matter who you are and your history...and if you have history, your gone for the year imo

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Nasty vicious hit, worthy of a solid suspension, but to charge him with assault is pitiful.

Why is it pitiful? I dont see this as any different than someone swinging a stick at an unsuspecting player. The puck was literally no where close to the victim from what I can see. And I dont mean in the sense that he just passed/shot the puck away and it was just late, i mean in the sense that he was no where close to the play and was never eligible to be hit at anytime. I dont know the backstory but it looked like a player taking out his anger on anyone he can.

This was at no point an attempt at a hockey play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad