Thomas Hickey

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What is the general feeling about Thomas Hickey? Drafted in 2007 4th overall, and has yet to see a minute of play in the NHL. Is he a bust, on the fast track to bust territory? Does he need to get out of the LA defense log jam and start somewhere else? Or will he still make his way with the Kings? He was a bit of a reach in 2007, what is a reasonable projection for him now?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Haven't seen him in the last few years but he was by far one of the best players to ever come through Seattle. It's been kind of sad that he hasn't caught on in the NHL yet.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
Stuck behind LA's defensive depth, I doubt he ever becomes more than a 2nd pairing dman at this point though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Haven't seen him in the last few years but he was by far one of the best players to ever come through Seattle. It's been kind of sad that he hasn't caught on in the NHL yet.

Definitely disappointing not to see him up there with Doughty and Johnson as planned. Does seem pretty funny in hindsight that Lombardi really stockpiled the back end a few years back and now and both Bernier and Hickey barely factor into their long range plans.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
thats pretty sad what happen to him?
Doughty arrived and the Kings didnt want to line-up two rookies on the backend that year. Thereafter Hickey got injured for a good portion of the year.

He had a good camp this year but there's simply no room, even Voynov has been sent back to Manchester. Somehow his numbers in the AHL are nothing to write home about but Thomas Hickey has become more of steady, less offensive.

I havent seen any pre-season games but he looked good according to Kings fans. They say he's NHL ready but that remains to be seen. I would like to see that with my own eyes but like mentioned, Voynov is the better prospect. Right now a bottom pairing defenseman like Alec Martinez seems to be his upside but I doubt we will ever see him in a Kings uniform, unless there are injuries or a trade.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Doughty arrived and the Kings didnt want to line-up two rookies on the backend that year. Thereafter Hickey got injured for a good portion of the year.

He had a good camp this year but there's simply no room, even Voynov has been sent back to Manchester. Somehow his numbers in the AHL are nothing to write home about but Thomas Hickey has become more of steady, less offensive.

I havent seen any pre-season games but he looked good according to Kings fans. They say he's NHL ready but that remains to be seen. I would like to see that with my own eyes but like mentioned, Voynov is the better prospect. Right now a bottom pairing defenseman like Alec Martinez seems to be his upside but I doubt we will ever see him in a Kings uniform, unless there are injuries or a trade.

I was actually going to write that...His AHL numbers are very ordinary to say the least. He's not a very big player, so normally this type of player has to bring something else to the table. Do you think he'd be able to stick in the NHL as an undersized d-man (5 foot 10) without much offensive potential? There aren't too many players like this in the NHL..

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I was actually going to write that...His AHL numbers are very ordinary to say the least. He's not a very big player, so normally this type of player has to bring something else to the table. Do you think he'd be able to stick in the NHL as an undersized d-man (5 foot 10) without much offensive potential? There aren't too many players like this in the NHL..
Well like I said, Alex Martinez type of player. Good skating, small, a bit physical.

At Hickey's age, Alec put up similar numbers in the AHL and look at him now.

On the 2nd PP unit, steady, good skater, but probably a better shot than Hickey. He has a rocket.

We'll see.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
He was a stretch pick based on where he was picked at the draft. His career seemed to follow a tangent that justified the draft position, but by now, the draft class has overtaken him.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Aside from Kane and Couture most of the players in that 1st round draft have yet to make much of a big impact in the game. A lot of guys are on NHL teams, but still have yet to become the big-time players many thought they would.

I doubt Hickey sees time with the Kings. He will probably have to be traded in a package. IIRC the knock on him was always his size.

JalapenoPeppa*

I see him being dealt at the deadline in a package to fill holes. The Kings will look to make a serious run this year.

He would be playing on a lot of other NHL teams now, and hopefully he gets traded to a team were he can step in immediately.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
What happened was that he wasnt all that great in the first place.

The WJC's in Ottawa really exposed this.

He couldn't handle the pressure of being Captain and I'm sure being paired with Teubert didn't help. Hickey did just fine the year prior when paired with Schenn on the 2nd pairing.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He couldn't handle the pressure of being Captain and I'm sure being paired with Teubert didn't help. Hickey did just fine the year prior when paired with Schenn on the 2nd pairing.
Dude, I wouldnt even respond on this WJC nonsense. Bunch of kids who attach way too much importance to this tournament

How many players have seen that played great at the wjc but never became anything special and vice versa.

Its a nice tourney to follow, that's about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->