Thomas Hickey, Zach Hamill, Angelo Esposito

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Why was esposito drafted so high?

Because he has the skills to be drafted that high...but much of getting a good player is the development that happens after being drafted. Something tons of HF posters seem to forget...

Esposito's growth just wasn't that great afterwards...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
We've said it before, we'll say it again. The last cut before the season for the Kings in 2008-09 came down to Hickey and Doughty. We know how it all played out, but that is how close it was. From there, Hickey was injured two seasons in a row. He is now back on track with his development, but is behind Martinez (who was a great third pairing puck mover) and Voynov (who was the Monarch's best defender by a mile).

I'm not sure where Hickey fits in anymore. Long term, the pairings will probably be something like...

Doughty-Forbort
Johnson-Deslauriers
Voynov-Muzzin
Martinez

Kings have a lot of great prospects. Forbort projects to be a #1 defensive defender and will hopefully be a rock alongside Doughty or Johnson. Deslauriers looks to be a lot like Johnson where he might be a top pairing guy, but would really excel in a second pairing role instead. He likes to jump up on offense quite a bit too and is a great skater. Voynov is the fastest of all the Kings defenders I think; hopefully he gets a chance with the big club before heading back to Russia. Muzzin will be a key guy much like Matt Greene is right now. Just a warrior.

That said, I don't see the Kings keeping all three of Hickey, Voynov, and Deslauriers.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yes Hickey was a bit unlucky with his injury problems and that Doughty arrived. Voynov has surpassed him on the depth chart, I can live with that too. He's good.

BUT that Martinez and even Jake Muzzin got called up before Thomas Hickey should tell you something.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I really have a hard time beliving anyone is a bust when theyre about to turn 23. Sure Hamill hasnt lived up to expectations, but that doesnt mean he should curl up and die. Hell, what about the players who play four years of college? Also, what about JVR finally reaching his potential? He was in the same draft as Hamill!

I'm not saying hes gonna be a star, or even an NHL player, I'm saying I don't think anyone can bust when theyre about to turn 23 years old.

I also think Hickey wll be a good NHL player one day.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
IF I'm PC I see how Hamill does at the deadline and if he does bad I would trade him away for a solid defensive prospect or a mid round pick.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
Hamil is the best on that list... he should be in the NHL... the guy has alot of talent... hes just fighting with alot of depth on roster and in there prospect pool

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hamilton and hickey solidifying that blueline in a few
Years???

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I like the idea of a Hamill for Hickey swap from a Bruins fan perspective.

The Bruins have at least 5 forwards who seem to project to be better than Hamill right now and could really use another D prospect.

Hamill is actually pretty good defensively and is a good playmaker, I could see him being a useful player on a teams 3rd line and he could fill in on the top 2 lines in case of injury. He has the playmaking ability to do that.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

Isn't LA looking for a third line winger? Swap Hickey for Hamill :thumbu:

That's actually a good deal for both sides.

Would do that in a heartbeat.

Bruins do this no doubt, but do the Kings?

As a Kings fan, I would do it in a heartbeat, especially if Hamill can play wing.

Hickey has zero future in this organization.

I'd probably do it.

I like the idea of a Hamill for Hickey swap from a Bruins fan perspective.

The Bruins have at least 5 forwards who seem to project to be better than Hamill right now and could really use another D prospect.

Hamill is actually pretty good defensively and is a good playmaker, I could see him being a useful player on a teams 3rd line and he could fill in on the top 2 lines in case of injury. He has the playmaking ability to do that.

:amazed:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
IF I'm PC I see how Hamill does at the deadline and if he does bad I would trade him away for a solid defensive prospect or a mid round pick.

If he plays poorly this year I don't think you get that package for him.

If the B's are going to deal Hamill they have to hope that he plays well. If he plays poorly they may trade him, but they aren't going to get much for him.

As far as Hickey being a "fantastic skater". His skating was fine when saw him, not a problem. But nothing about him stood out to me as "this guy is an NHL player". Maybe the couple of times I saw him in Manchester it was soon after an injury. That's always the danger of seeing a guy only a couple of times and trying to come to a conclusion, but really, by this time in his development for a guy who was a very high draft pick, you'd like to at least see him as a topnotch dman on his AHL team. He's not. He can still breakout and progress, but from what I saw I'm not expecting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad