Thomas Hickey, Zach Hamill, Angelo Esposito

BacklundtoBartschi*

I thought the other two were busts, but now Hickey as well?

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
What does the future hold for these guys? Will any of them have solid NHL careers, or are they classified as "busts"?

Esposito has spent the past couple of Summers training under Lorne Goldenberg and is trying very hard to overcome his ACL issues. If he turns out to be a bust, it's not going to be from a lack of work ethic.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
I thought the other two were busts, but now Hickey as well?

Hickey faces a few challenges-

1) Kings are so deep already at the NHL level.
2) Voynov is in front of Hickey
3) Deslaurius is not far behind

True, Teubert was traded away, but Forbort basically took his place as the more 'long-term' project.

Hickey will spend this year in the AHL. He needs to prove he can stay healthy a full season. If there's a call up for injury, probably will be Voynov first.

I'm not ready to call Hickey a bust, but, I dont think his future NHL career, should he have one, will be with LA.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Hamill might make it with another team but the Bruins have a lot of Center depth ahead of him so hes moving to wing this year.

habitue*

Hickey faces a few challenges-

1) Kings are so deep already at the NHL level.
2) Voynov is in front of Hickey
3) Deslaurius is not far behind

True, Teubert was traded away, but Forbort basically took his place as the more 'long-term' project.

Hickey will spend this year in the AHL. He needs to prove he can stay healthy a full season. If there's a call up for injury, probably will be Voynov first.

I'm not ready to call Hickey a bust, but, I dont think his future NHL career, should he have one, will be with LA.

Who's that guy ?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Hickey is NHL ready, he just can't break into LA's defensive unit. He could use more seasoning in the AHL, sure, but he'd certainly make a few opening night rosters as is.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I dont understand why the Kings signed Willy Mitchell in the first place. Personally I think that spot should have been for either Voynov or Hickey. Two prospect are being wasted in Manchester IMO.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Who's that guy ?
Never heard of Deslaurius either. ;)

If that wasnt your point. Deslauriers is a top offensive defenseman, similar style of play like Jack Johnson.

Greet speed, shot, physical and not afraid to drop the gloves either. From what I have read, also a bit of a liability on the defensive side because he sometimes forgets he's a defender first, just like Jack.

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
Hamill has no future in the Bruins organization, even with a move to the wing. I wouldn't call him a bust just yet because I do feel that he has an NHL future. Just not here in Boston.

Kershaw

I dont understand why the Kings signed Willy Mitchell in the first place. Personally I think that spot should have been for either Voynov or Hickey. Two prospect are being wasted in Manchester IMO.

To bring veteran presence on the blue line. Willie is still a top 4 defender, provided he stays healthy.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
There's still a lot to like about Hamill's game, and he's been impressive when called up. I think he could and will be an above average 3rd liner.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Thanks Captain Obvious. ;)

Does not I agree with it. Greene is also a top 4 defender and is playing on the 3rd pairing now with a $3M cap hit.

Because Mitchell is a rock. Our defense improved tenfold under Mitchells presence and he only plays half a season

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Islanders could use a guy like Hickey. They desperately need a puck mover and PP QB even if Streit can come back.

The Islanders have 3 small PMD on on farm team this year, 4 if you count De Haan. Mark Katic who was drafted the same year as Hickey has had a better pro career so far then Hickey(not saying he will be better but if we need an emergency callup PMD we can just use him). At this point in time I don't see Hickey being anything more then a bottom pairing/2nd unit PP guy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hickey is NHL ready, he just can't break into LA's defensive unit. He could use more seasoning in the AHL, sure, but he'd certainly make a few opening night rosters as is.

NHL ready? The guy is an average AHLer. That's the problem with both Hickey and Hamill, for all the "they are good they are just blocked by a deep NHL roster", they really have done nothing in the AHL to stand out.

I've seen all 3 of those guys play in person, Hickey and Hamill in the AHL and Esposito in the Q. I watched them all (especially Espo) closely and I'm not sure any of them have any definite NHL level asset. None are big, none are great skaters, none are especially physical, none have great hands.

Any or all may make it in the NHL but I don't think any of them are going to be upper roster level players.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
What would Boston want for him? Maybe a prospect swap? (Not from a Toronto perspective, just in general)

Prospect swap would be ideal...maybe a pick. I see him as a secondary piece in another deal.

His value has to be pretty low, but every time he played with the big club he has looked pretty good. There is just no room for the kid. I was actually hoping Burke would make some kind of offer for him. He would have a good chance of making the leafs right out of the gate.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Prospect swap would be ideal...maybe a pick. I see him as a secondary piece in another deal.

His value has to be pretty low, but every time he played with the big club he has looked pretty good. There is just no room for the kid. I was actually hoping Burke would make some kind of offer for him. He would have a good chance of making the leafs right out of the gate.

Pretty much this. Probably a solid defensive prospect of the same value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad