Player Discussion: Thomas Greiss

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So you're chalking up guys like Nelson and Cizikas having their best years to "rigorous offseason training"?

No, I was speaking about the young defensemen in particular - Nelson and Cizikas physical attributes have been pretty stable. I credit Trotz, but you either have to be blind or never played hockey to see Mayfield's skating improved significantly since last season

Players do work on skating, shots, strength , flexibility, agility- physical tools during the off season, is that news to you?

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No, I was speaking about the young defensemen in particular - Nelson and Cizikas physical attributes have been pretty stable. I credit Trotz, but you either have to be blind or never played hockey to see Mayfield's skating improved significantly since last season

Players do work on skating, shots, strength , flexibility, agility- physical tools during the off season, is that news to you?

Not at all, but seems to be news to you that any franchise's coaches/GM/training staff wouldn't point any player in the right direction with what he needs to work on in the offseason.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Not at all, but seems to be news to you that any franchise's coaches/GM/training staff wouldn't point any player in the right direction with what he needs to work on in the offseason.

Ok - I see you want an argument for arguments sake.

Besides the point that Lou and Trotz didn't see these guys last season - they may have watched footage and spoke to coaching staff, but i'm sure these players who log the minutes are self-aware and motivated enough to know what parts of their game they need to strengthen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poster Unknown

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I am so glad Greiss and Lehner are making me eat crow - I thought we were entering the season with probably the worst tandem in the league - They are both candidates for comeback players of the year - Greiss has been unbelievable in the last couple of games

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I am so glad Greiss and Lehner are making me eat crow - I thought we were entering the season with probably the worst tandem in the league - They are both candidates for comeback players of the year - Greiss has been unbelievable in the last couple of games
last year it seemed like every game he would let it a softy, this year i can’t remember when was the last time he did

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Major props to Greiss on the win over Montreal. I have not been this confident in nyi goaltending in yrs.

Gonna be a very interesting offseason for Lou with Sorokin having 1 yr left on his KHL contract and expressing interest in coming over and with both Lehner & Greiss having great seasons.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Guy has played like a stud all year. In fact, with the big exception of last year, he's been a good goalie for us. Was stellar in the only playoff series this franchise has won in decades (a series we were otherwise outplayed in).

Acquiring him, and extending him for cheap, was one of Snow's better decisions here. Having Greiss at 2.5 AAV next year is pretty awesome. Of course, having Greiss, Clutterbuck and Ladd for like $13M cap hit is a little less awesome, but I won't digress.

If Lou truly believes that Sorokin is coming over (better next year but even in 2020), our cap space might be better served with not giving Lehner an expensive extension, and riding Greiss for next year. Could always add a cheap FA to backup Greiss next year and give Korn a chance to work his magic. I'd rather maximize our cap space to add highly skilled top 6 forwards.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
I feel as if we are reliving 2015-16 when after Halak was hurt, Greiss came in and carried the team through the rest of the season and then through that first round against Florida. Now, we have two, not only one goalie in whom we all feel confident.

Reactions: Quicklime

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Major props to Greiss on the win over Montreal. I have not been this confident in nyi goaltending in yrs.

Gonna be a very interesting offseason for Lou with Sorokin having 1 yr left on his KHL contract and expressing interest in coming over and with both Lehner & Greiss having great seasons.

. Maybe Snow can be an advisor on a successful 3 goalie system . This way we can sign everyone .

I know you were thinking the same thing

Last edited:

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
Greiss leads 3 Stars of the Week

FIRST STAR - THOMAS GREISS, G, NEW YORK ISLANDERS

Greiss topped the NHL with 116 saves (on 121 SA), compiling a 3-1-0 record, 1.25 goals-against average, .959 save percentage and one shutout to lift the Islanders (42-23-7, 91 points) back into first place in the Metropolitan Division. Greiss stopped all 31 shots he faced to earn his 13th career shutout in a 2-0 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets March 11. He then made 33 saves in a 2-1 victory against the Montreal Canadiens March 14, followed by 20 stops in a 2-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings March 16. Greiss closed the week with 32 saves in a 3-2 overtime triumph against the Minnesota Wild March 17. The 33-year-old Fussen, Germany, native owns a 22-12-2 record through 40 total appearances this season, ranking among the top five goaltenders in goals-against average (4th; 2.21), save percentage (4th; .928) and shutouts (t-5th; 5).

Reactions: Instant

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Greiss leads 3 Stars of the Week

FIRST STAR - THOMAS GREISS, G, NEW YORK ISLANDERS

Greiss topped the NHL with 116 saves (on 121 SA), compiling a 3-1-0 record, 1.25 goals-against average, .959 save percentage and one shutout to lift the Islanders (42-23-7, 91 points) back into first place in the Metropolitan Division. Greiss stopped all 31 shots he faced to earn his 13th career shutout in a 2-0 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets March 11. He then made 33 saves in a 2-1 victory against the Montreal Canadiens March 14, followed by 20 stops in a 2-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings March 16. Greiss closed the week with 32 saves in a 3-2 overtime triumph against the Minnesota Wild March 17. The 33-year-old Fussen, Germany, native owns a 22-12-2 record through 40 total appearances this season, ranking among the top five goaltenders in goals-against average (4th; 2.21), save percentage (4th; .928) and shutouts (t-5th; 5).
Congrats to Thomas. Gutty performances this week, shouldering the entire load. Will be interesting to see how the playoffs work. Both goalies deserve time in net.

Reactions: ebergeist

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Same here. No problem admitting I was wrong here.

Reactions: ebergeist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad