Player Discussion: Thomas Greiss

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Garth did alright. Now if only he hadn't botched this season up with three goaltenders and his UFA failures this summer.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Garth did alright. Now if only he hadn't botched this season up with three goaltenders and his UFA failures this summer.

I mostly agree, though "two to tango": Halak wasn't helping ANYONE'S case out, and the last time we had an oft-injured goalie and didn't have a carousel, we spent the season watching JoeyMac......just playing Devil's Advocate.

Back to Greiss: Great contract & term; now we just need to figure out who our "goalie of the future" is (again) if neither Sorokin or Söderström pan out. They'd better be singing overtures to them both.....ESPECIALLY Ilya.

Keine verdammte verletzungen, Tommy. (No damned injuries.)

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I mostly agree, though "two to tango": Halak wasn't helping ANYONE'S case out, and the last time we had an oft-injured goalie and didn't have a carousel, we spent the season watching JoeyMac......just playing Devil's Advocate.

Back to Greiss: Great contract & term; now we just need to figure out who our "goalie of the future" is (again) if neither Sorokin or Söderström pan out. They'd better be singing overtures to them both.....ESPECIALLY Ilya.

Keine verdammte verletzungen, Tommy. (No damned injuries.)

Don't see why the 'future' is so important for a G. Did SJ, TML, NJ, have one pegged? Nice to have prospects in line, but one can attain a starter from another organization.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Don't see why the 'future' is so important for a G. Did SJ, TML, NJ, have one pegged? Nice to have prospects in line, but one can attain a starter from another organization.

Absolutely spot on, though I'm looking at Pitt (Fleury/Murray), CHI, (Crawford/Darling) and LA (Quick) - doesn't always have to be home-grown, but I simply want a goalie so good that we wouldn't have to wait for another organization to pass on them. We got lucky with guys like Nabby, Halak (when they were "on") and now Greiss; it'd just be nice to have a few goalies to groom with reasonable faith so they can hit their stride while they're both here AND young. :thumbu:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Absolutely spot on, though I'm looking at Pitt (Fleury/Murray), CHI, (Crawford/Darling) and LA (Quick) - doesn't always have to be home-grown, but I simply want a goalie so good that we wouldn't have to wait for another organization to pass on them. We got lucky with guys like Nabby, Halak (when they were "on") and now Greiss; it'd just be nice to have a few goalies to groom with reasonable faith so they can hit their stride while they're both here AND young. :thumbu:

It's tough for an organization to have homegrown everything and be successful, but I see where you are going. Pit, chi, lak all had to go external for critical pieces. Isles have had thin potential in G for a very long time (well, it was there and someone decided to trade him).

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Currently 5th in the league in Sv% at .928% and 10th in GAA

To me he has proven he is a #1 and we need to resign this guy already.

2-3 year deal would be ideal IMO. By then Sorokin should be here and then re-evaluate our goalie situation.

Called it just a few days ago. Very excited. Good deal for Isles.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

It's tough for an organization to have homegrown everything and be successful, but I see where you are going. Pit, chi, lak all had to go external for critical pieces. Isles have had thin potential in G for a very long time (well, it was there and someone decided to trade him).

What I have been saying all along. You don't overpay for goalies, because you don't have to. There's a Greiss sitting on many benches, and a future Greiss on many farm teams. It's not luck, it's supply. There are way more than 30 excellent goalies in the world. This is a perfect contract. Very reasonable salary for a starting goalie, and a term that won't burn the team if he collapses.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Crazy. Let's applaud Weight but if you don't give the Halak waived and Greiss numero uno reason its props for the turn around too you aint paying attention.

Fist of Gillies

Apr 9, 2007
Signs new contract. Immediately starts earning it.

Very nice to see. Extremely solid if not spectacular. But he's always in position and *steady* which is something you couldn't say about Halak.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Look at that, another solid performance from the guy who will never be a starter....boy we sure are lucky...

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
I wonder how different this season would be if Greisser was the #1 from opening night. The man is just incredibly consistent.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Why has he not been waived yet? It’s win-win-win. Either he gets claimed which would be a gigantic break or he goes to the AHL and finds his game. If he sucks it’s another sign to buy him out or keep him buried and look for new backup next year.

It’s to bad Snow and his ego won’t allow it.

SNOW MUST GO!!

Reactions: C24

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Yeah its horrible to watch the islanders react to the goaltending position in slow motion every year. Last year greis couldnt rest because berube was so bad...Halak is in the minors puttig up great stats...Now they keep Greis when its costing them the olayoffs? Goalies are like relief pitching you cant predict it year to year but if your goaltendibg or relievers stink mid season you need to save the rest of the team and make changes not just let the season go down the toilet.

C24

Jan 25, 2018
Yeah its horrible to watch the islanders react to the goaltending position in slow motion every year. Last year greis couldnt rest because berube was so bad...Halak is in the minors puttig up great stats...Now they keep Greis when its costing them the olayoffs? Goalies are like relief pitching you cant predict it year to year but if your goaltendibg or relievers stink mid season you need to save the rest of the team and make changes not just let the season go down the toilet.
Like the guy above said. Everything is about Snow's ego. Nothing else matters to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad