Value of: Thomas Greiss to Toronto

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So, let me recap.

Jaroslav Halak -- 31yo -- 4.5M AAV -- 15-16: 36GP, 0.919 -- Career: 367GP, 0.917
Thomas Greiss -- 30yo -- 1.5M AAV -- 15-16: 41GP, 0.925 -- Career: 130GP, 0.917
Frederik Andersen -- 26yo -- 5M AAV -- 15-16: 43GP, 0.919 -- Career: 125GP, 0.918

What you're saying:
First, NYI management decides they want to trade a goalie. Because reasons.
Second, NYI management decides that Greiss, the guy who saved their season after injury-prone Halak went down, the guy who was their playoff starter (and he performed well), the guy on a contract worth 1.5M AAV, is the one to go. Sounds... reasonable?!
Third, TOR management is looking for an experienced backup who wouldn't challenge Andersen. The career numbers of Greiss and Andersen are almost identical. Greiss is coming off a significantly better season than Andersen. Sounds obvious that he will accept the backup role without even thinking of challenging Andersen, and not try to monetize his career season. He's a humble person, a team player.
Fourth, after being demoted from a playoff starter on a good NYI team to a regular season backup on a not so good TOR team, he will be fine with holding out until after the expansion draft to not test the UFA market, but instead loyally re-sign with the Leafs on a team-friendly backup contract (i. e. <2M AAV).

As you write: "Then you move forward with a rock solid tandem of Andersen-Greiss"

Everybody wins. Well, everybody except NYI, Thomas Greiss, and Thomas Greiss's agent (who is that, anyway. Kyle Dubas?)

You're so completely out to lunch, it's actually hilarious.

You pay him, say 3.5 per for 3 years but you make it clear he is #2

Yes 8.5 million on goalies is alot but if both guys are good that's fine.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
No only Enroth is any good and even he is on the small side

I don't even think Enroth is my top choice. Ortio is young, and would see the backup role in TO as a step up from being a yo-yo in Calgary. I think he would do very well.

And Anders Lindback is a legit option, despite getting no attention (not that most backup goalies get much attention weeks after July 1). He is towering at 6'6", has 130 NHL games experience, and plays pretty well in sopt duty. He stole some games for Buffalo when they were trying to lose for McDavid.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't even think Enroth is my top choice. Ortio is young, and would see the backup role in TO as a step up from being a yo-yo in Calgary. I think he would do very well.

And Anders Lindback is a legit option, despite getting no attention (not that most backup goalies get much attention weeks after July 1). He is towering at 6'6", has 130 NHL games experience, and plays pretty well in sopt duty. He stole some games for Buffalo when they were trying to lose for McDavid.

I'm not sure having a few good games in 130 games over several years is very enticing, not when it's the exception from being one of the worst goaltenders in the league.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

His care save% is BARELY 900 he's worse than Bernier

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
His care save% is BARELY 900 he's worse than Bernier

Ya, it's not the highest save percentage. His career numbers are about the same as Bobrovsky, Rinne, Hutchinson, Niemi, Pavelec, and Lack posted last season. Some of those guys are starters.

Lindback is an experienced backup. He'd be cheap. And I think he can do the job.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
impossible? the leafs would have 0 interest in resigning him if he plays well?

so the scenarios are

A) we give up assets for greiss, decide to sign him up to another contract, and expose him in the expansion draft (likely chosen)

B) acquire him and let him test UFA..

terrible. for what we would have to give up it makes no sense. if a stop gap is what we are looking for, ramo/enroth will do

You do realize, hopefully, that Andersen is their goalie going forward.

Also, the expansion draft takes place on June 20th.

That gives the Leafs 10 days to re-sign him before he becomes an UFA...

"terrible. for what we would have to give up it makes no sense." = moving the goal posts...

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
So Now that Bernier is gone need a backup and I think the trade market is the way to go I don't see a lot of options in the UFA market

I think Thomas Griess would be a solid addition. I don't think he will challenge Andersen for the #1 but I think he'd give us a solid 1-2 punch in net.

I don't see this as another tank year I think we are looking to take a step forward this year and to do that we need a solid backup Garett Sparks Isn't going to cut it.

I think if Leaf management was simply going to tank again Fredrik Andersen wouldn't be here he would be in a place like Calgary but he's not, he is a Leaf so to me that says intentionally tanking is no longer a thing.

So whats the price to soldify our backup spot?

There is no possible way as the team is constructed today that 16-17 will not be another tank year.
But in the long run its a good thing for TML hockey club. The consistently great teams have had
Between 2-5 top3 picks within a 5 year span. I know you love your prospects and they show promise
But unless your feeding them something extra special up there they will just not be ready .
Not saying that guys don't just jump out if the gate like Pasternak etc.
enjoy the rebuild. It will set you up for 10 years of playoffs and more every year.

Now about Colonel Greiss. I would hope Halak plays 50+ games , greiss 30 games.
That is our best chance at trying to get back to the second round if the playoffs.
I don't think the isles can go to next year with Berube as #2.
I really don't think the isles would entertain any offer at all for him. I don't mean an overpay .
I mean like a 2nd and 4th round picks. What player could you offer? We don't need mid prospects.
You won't offer a first. And we really need him in brooklyn or we are screwed,if halak breaks down.
( don't say when he breaks down) lol
If you offer us some type of lesser goalie but add a 4th to it . That's probably not good for us .
We have 2 years to win for JT. Greiss can help that more than anything you could probably offer.
Cheers

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ya, it's not the highest save percentage. His career numbers are about the same as Bobrovsky, Rinne, Hutchinson, Niemi, Pavelec, and Lack posted last season. Some of those guys are starters.

Lindback is an experienced backup. He'd be cheap. And I think he can do the job.

Right some are Starters which means they have a history of being significantly better than they show last year hence you can reasonably they will rebound.

Linndback has been awful for the vast majority of his NHL career.

You may believe he can do the job but there is very little evidence to support that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->