Value of: Thomas Greiss to Toronto

corunnakid

Jun 28, 2016
Why would we be adding? I wouldn't even begin to consider trading Holland one-for-one for Berube. Plus I don't think New York needs more NHL forwards.

I also doubt we'd have a lot of interest in Berube. I don't really see how he's a clear upgrade over the three young goalies we have in our organization, and he's 2 or 3 years older than them. That being said, I also don't see us going after Halak, nor NYI trading Greiss. So there's nothing really there unless there is more than just Berube involved.

Griess is their guy moving forward, nobody wants Halak$, leafs need to shed pro contracts. Berube + a 2nd for Leivo & Lupul(1.2 retained)

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
So exactly what's the rationale for the Islanders trading their starting goalie? People have been ignoring this point.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Or maybe Halak + 3rd for Lupul + 4th

:facepalm:

Horrifically insulting offer. There's been worse offer on HF, but I'm not sure there's been any less thoughtful. If the Isles move Halak it's to get cap room. And yet you suggest they trade him for a cap dump, and oh by the way downgrade mid-picks. How is there any shred of sense in that????

:help:

corunnakid

Jun 28, 2016
:facepalm:

Horrifically insulting offer. There's been worse offer on HF, but I'm not sure there's been any less thoughtful. If the Isles move Halak it's to get cap room. And yet you suggest they trade him for a cap dump, and oh by the way downgrade mid-picks. How is there any shred of sense in that????

:help:

Ok how about Halak + 3rd for Bozak and lupul

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
As someone probably pointed out for you already, he's on an expiring contract and will be an UFA.

Losing him in the expansion draft?

Impossible.

And even if it was possible, such goalies are dime a dozen...

He would simply be a stop gap measure to determine if Bibeau could be a back up the season after.

impossible? the leafs would have 0 interest in resigning him if he plays well?

so the scenarios are

A) we give up assets for greiss, decide to sign him up to another contract, and expose him in the expansion draft (likely chosen)

B) acquire him and let him test UFA..

terrible. for what we would have to give up it makes no sense. if a stop gap is what we are looking for, ramo/enroth will do

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So exactly what's the rationale for the Islanders trading their starting goalie? People have been ignoring this point.

I personally think it's a mistake but to free up capspace + Islanders have faith in Greiss and Berube. Halak may not be a top 10 goalie but I feel much safer with a Halak/Greiss 1-2 punch then Greiss-Berube

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
impossible? the leafs would have 0 interest in resigning him if he plays well?

so the scenarios are

A) we give up assets for greiss, decide to sign him up to another contract, and expose him in the expansion draft (likely chosen)

B) acquire him and let him test UFA..

terrible. for what we would have to give up it makes no sense. if a stop gap is what we are looking for, ramo/enroth will do

Or sign sparks to a 2 year deal and expose him in the draft and move ahead with Andersen and Greiss

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Umm, you can only protect one goalie?

Easy

Step 1 sign Sparks to 2 year contract

Step 2 protect Andersen

Step 3 expose Sparks

Step 4 sign. Greiss following expansion draft

No one is taking Greiss because he is a UFA so why waste a claim on him it's to risky.

So what you do is you work out an extension with the agent that is to be signed after the expansion draft

Then you move forward with a rock solid tandem of Andersen-Greiss

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Problem is at his best Halak can challenge Andersen we aren't looking for a guy to challenge Andersen we are looking for a proven backup

15-16
Andersen 43GP 0.919
Bernier 38GP 0.908
Greiss 41GP 0.925

do you even barely follow other teams than the Leafs?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
15-16
Andersen 43GP 0.919
Bernier 38GP 0.908
Greiss 41GP 0.925

do you even barely follow other teams than the Leafs?

Yes I do follow thero teams and last year was the most games he's ever played in a season he's never been the guy.

He's a backup, a very VERY good backup but a backup nonetheless

Andersen has been the guy before so he's the starter

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Yes I do follow thero teams and last year was the most games he's ever played in a season he's never been the guy.

He's a backup, a very VERY good backup but a backup nonetheless

Andersen has been the guy before so he's the starter

So, let me recap.

Jaroslav Halak -- 31yo -- 4.5M AAV -- 15-16: 36GP, 0.919 -- Career: 367GP, 0.917
Thomas Greiss -- 30yo -- 1.5M AAV -- 15-16: 41GP, 0.925 -- Career: 130GP, 0.917
Frederik Andersen -- 26yo -- 5M AAV -- 15-16: 43GP, 0.919 -- Career: 125GP, 0.918

What you're saying:
First, NYI management decides they want to trade a goalie. Because reasons.
Second, NYI management decides that Greiss, the guy who saved their season after injury-prone Halak went down, the guy who was their playoff starter (and he performed well), the guy on a contract worth 1.5M AAV, is the one to go. Sounds... reasonable?!
Third, TOR management is looking for an experienced backup who wouldn't challenge Andersen. The career numbers of Greiss and Andersen are almost identical. Greiss is coming off a significantly better season than Andersen. Sounds obvious that he will accept the backup role without even thinking of challenging Andersen, and not try to monetize his career season. He's a humble person, a team player.
Fourth, after being demoted from a playoff starter on a good NYI team to a regular season backup on a not so good TOR team, he will be fine with holding out until after the expansion draft to not test the UFA market, but instead loyally re-sign with the Leafs on a team-friendly backup contract (i. e. <2M AAV).

As you write: "Then you move forward with a rock solid tandem of Andersen-Greiss"

Everybody wins. Well, everybody except NYI, Thomas Greiss, and Thomas Greiss's agent (who is that, anyway. Kyle Dubas?)

You're so completely out to lunch, it's actually hilarious.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Toronto should have gotten Bishop instead of Anderson and kept Bernier as backup.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Toronto should have gotten Bishop instead of Anderson and kept Bernier as backup.

Bishop would have been more expensive to trade for. And then it would have been a way more expensive tandem cap-wise. Even after this season, when Bernier's contract is finished, Bishop will probably be getting a raise, getting far more than Andersen's 5M.

I couldn't be happier with Toronto's changes in net. Don't need Greiss or Halak. Any available UFA will do.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bishop would have been more expensive to trade for. And then it would have been a way more expensive tandem cap-wise. Even after this season, when Bernier's contract is finished, Bishop will probably be getting a raise, getting far more than Andersen's 5M.

I couldn't be happier with Toronto's changes in net. Don't need Greiss or Halak. Any available UFA will do.

No only Enroth is any good and even he is on the small side

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->