News Article: THN's Ryan Kennedy on Vinny and the Flyers cap situation. So much ignorance.

hXc Chris

Jul 11, 2009
West Chester
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...-Flyers-in-uncomfortable-salary-cap-spot.html

"Six inches and 35 pounds. That may be the biggest difference between the newest member of the Philadelphia Flyers, Vinny Lecavalier, and one of the latest casualties, Danny Briere."

How does this dude get paid to write this ****? I would expect this from an unknown freelance beat writer. The biggest difference between Vinny and Danny is six inches and 35 pounds? Its not the 2 million in cap savings for a much more serviceable player? Definitely cant be that Vinny can create his own space, play a much better puck possession game and not get bumped off the puck by a sneeze from the bench. Vinny put up 10 goals 32points in 39 games, Briere put up 6 goales 16points in 34. Thats a huge difference right there.

Dont get me wrong I loved Danny B even with his over paid cap hit. he was a solid locker presence, and even though he was often nagged by injuries he really was a warrior in the playoffs. Also is one of the main staples that pulled us out of that horrible season. That being said there is a huge difference between a 33 year old Vinny and 35 yearold worn down Danny.

Kennedy then goes on a rant about how screwed the Flyers cap situation is and were going to lose Voracek or Coots due to the Vinny signing.

How is it the Flyers are out right screwed with 13 players signed at 43mil next season but the Penguins are in amazing shape with 9 players locked into 48mil?

Sorry for the rant I know im preaching to the choir but this dude might as well just be getting paid to post on the main board with this lazy ass ignorant opinionated dribble.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Seriously THN? If you were offered Vincent Lecavalier for Danny Briere in a trade would you take it? Of course you would imo.

Not only that Briere had a cap hit of $6.5 mil. coming into the year and Lecavalier only has $4.5.

That $2.0 mil difference is very big and Lecavalier is the better player.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This guy was smoking some funny stuff before he wrote this garbage. Vinny still has some left in the tank. Danny unfortunately is done I believe.

Last edited:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I wish people would actually educate themselves about the team/player they are writing about before actually publishing the article.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Briere was brutal last season. Didn't watch a lot of Tampa last year but I'd imagine Vinny was a lot better.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I've been going back and forth with some of the people in the comments section of this article. I feel like I'm over on the main board but I can't help myself :laugh:.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...-Flyers-in-uncomfortable-salary-cap-spot.html

"Six inches and 35 pounds. That may be the biggest difference between the newest member of the Philadelphia Flyers, Vinny Lecavalier, and one of the latest casualties, Danny Briere."

How does this dude get paid to write this ****? I would expect this from an unknown freelance beat writer. The biggest difference between Vinny and Danny is six inches and 35 pounds? Its not the 2 million in cap savings for a much more serviceable player? Definitely cant be that Vinny can create his own space, play a much better puck possession game and not get bumped off the puck by a sneeze from the bench. Vinny put up 10 goals 32points in 39 games, Briere put up 6 goales 16points in 34. Thats a huge difference right there.

Dont get me wrong I loved Danny B even with his over paid cap hit. he was a solid locker presence, and even though he was often nagged by injuries he really was a warrior in the playoffs. Also is one of the main staples that pulled us out of that horrible season. That being said there is a huge difference between a 33 year old Vinny and 35 yearold worn down Danny.

Kennedy then goes on a rant about how screwed the Flyers cap situation is and were going to lose Voracek or Coots due to the Vinny signing.

How is it the Flyers are out right screwed with 13 players signed at 43mil next season but the Penguins are in amazing shape with 9 players locked into 48mil?

Sorry for the rant I know im preaching to the choir but this dude might as well just be getting paid to post on the main board with this lazy ass ignorant opinionated dribble.

Do what I do and ignore the media for the most part. You know in your heart what is right.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Philly is extremely good at rescuing cap space, but are just as bad as filling it with players that just don't fit their need.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Philly is extremely good at rescuing cap space, but are just as bad as filling it with players that just don't fit their need.

Signing gave us:

1. Cheap depth at the wing. (Schenn)
2. Faceoffs/Puck-possession (Lecavalier)
3. Veteran leadership (Lecavalier)
4. Even strength scoring (Lecavalier)

All 4 things that we needed BADLY.

The signing makes us a better overall team both offensively and defensively; in the locker room as well all things considered.

That said, I'm starting to get sick of typing this exact explanation out. Hopefully more people start paying attention to Flyers fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad