THN Re-ranking past drafts

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You think we did second best? Boston maybe I don’t know they whiffed on a few but they also got Pasta late. I’m not sure about the rest of their record.

Boston got Pasta at 25. They picked Hamilton at #9 and he is #9 in this redraft. Those are the only 2 mentions of them in these 4 years. I don't see how that beats having every top pick redrafted higher than they were originally taken + Helle rising from 130 to #2.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Boston got Pasta at 25. They picked Hamilton at #9 and he is #9 in this redraft. Those are the only 2 mentions of them in these 4 years. I don't see how that beats having every top pick redrafted higher than they were originally taken + Helle rising from 130 to #2.
Colorado also drafted really well taking Makar 4th when you compare it to our top 5 Laine.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Colorado also drafted really well taking Makar 4th when you compare it to our top 5 Laine.

Neither of those 2 players were taken in the 4 years period we are talking about. Laine was in '16, Makar in '17. Apples to bananas. We never had the opportunity to take Makar.

In these 4 years the player Col took first is still ranked 1st. The one they took 2nd is ranked 4th in a redraft.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is Burmi our organization’s worst pick? Top 8 spot for that bust.

I don't think of the Thrashers as 'our organization' but if you want to include Atlanta in the discussion I think Bogosian is worse. Maybe not quite as complete a bust - but he was taken 3rd OA, ahead of Pietrangelo.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Neither of those 2 players were taken in the 4 years period we are talking about. Laine was in '16, Makar in '17. Apples to bananas. We never had the opportunity to take Makar.

In these 4 years the player Col took first is still ranked 1st. The one they took 2nd is ranked 4th in a redraft.
No sorry just using article as a springboard to look at drafting patterns.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Is Burmi our organization’s worst pick? Top 8 spot for that bust.
At least Burmistrov was a decent enough NHL player for a little while.

Now Boris Valabik on the other hand. To this day, I'm convinced Waddell only drafted him because he was a big Slovak. He was the original Logan Stanley, except drafted 10th overall instead of 18th. And a much worse skater. Like, much worse.

He's probably most recognized around the league as the guy Crosby punched in the nuts.

At least Bogosian had all the tools. And was the leading scorer on the Petes in his draft season. I don't think many, if any, had Pietrangelo over Bogosian in that draft.

Reactions: John Agar

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
OK fine. But Laine and Makar were still not in the same year. The only way we could have done better than Laine was to have won 1st OA. An argument can be made for PLD over Laine because of position.
Okay so assuming luck is equal we got lucky one year too early.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Let's also keep in mind that the organization has the worst #1 pick in modern NHL history as well. Though Stefan wasn't really a normal #1 pick, so it's more like a really bad #2 pick, in a really bad draft..

Reactions: Conflicted Habs fan

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Okay so assuming luck is equal we got lucky one year too early.

You seem to be hinting at some dissatisfaction with Laine. What's your problem?

If we had gotten lucky a year later would Vegas have gotten the #2 pick? They had our lottery ticket. Was it lottery protected? Not according to CF.

If we had kept that pick and got the #2 spot from the lottery, we probably take Nolan Patrick. Would you trade Laine for Patrick?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
At least Burmistrov was a decent enough NHL player for a little while.

Now Boris Valabik on the other hand. To this day, I'm convinced Waddell only drafted him because he was a big Slovak. He was the original Logan Stanley, except drafted 10th overall instead of 18th. And a much worse skater. Like, much worse.

He's probably most recognized around the league as the guy Crosby punched in the nuts.

At least Bogosian had all the tools. And was the leading scorer on the Petes in his draft season. I don't think many, if any, had Pietrangelo over Bogosian in that draft.

Interesting side not about Valabik and why you shouldn't judge prospects by Tournaments. He was actually really good at the u18s that year. In fact I think teams looked at him there and went this guy is going to break out offensively his next couple of seasons. He never did.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You seem to be hinting at some dissatisfaction with Laine. What's your problem?

If we had gotten lucky a year later would Vegas have gotten the #2 pick? They had our lottery ticket. Was it lottery protected? Not according to CF.

If we had kept that pick and got the #2 spot from the lottery, we probably take Nolan Patrick. Would you trade Laine for Patrick?
I doubt we trade our pick to Vegas if we don’t get Laine. We drafted better than Philadelphia so could have got Peterson or Makar. My problem is Laine is good not a franchise player like Makar, Peterson, Eichel or a bunch of other guys who went high other years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I doubt we trade our pick to Vegas if we don’t get Laine. We drafted better than Philadelphia so could have got Peterson or Makar. My problem is Laine is good not a franchise player like Makar, Peterson, Eichel or a bunch of other guys who went high other years.

That is a very strange assumption. I don't see the connection. What do we do instead? What ever we probably should have done anyway?

We probably don't trade up to get Stanley either, if we hadn't won 2nd OA. :sarcasm:

You are massively underrating Laine.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That is a very strange assumption. I don't see the connection. What do we do instead? What ever we probably should have done anyway?

We probably don't trade up to get Stanley either, if we hadn't of won 2nd OA. :sarcasm:

You are massively underrating Laine.
We wouldn’t have been win now hence not moved our 1st. Are you really saying Laine is a franchise level player in the same league as Makar, Eichel Peterson?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We wouldn’t have been win now hence not moved our 1st. Are you really saying Laine is a franchise level player in the same league as Makar, Eichel Peterson?

Are you saying he isn't? At 21 years old? With what he has done already? None of those guys have done the things that Laine has done. They all have an advantage of position. That could make them more valuable if we were talking about trades. But we are not. It doesn't make them better players.

If they are better players, or if they turn out to be better players in 5 years time, that doesn't mean we lost out on the luck distribution. That would be like crying because Jets 1.0 missed out on getting Gretzky way back when we had the opportunity to buy his contract.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Interesting how many people think Helly shouldn’t have been drafted 2nd 2012 and think Reilly or Slavic are better. Hard to get people to agree on redrafts.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Interesting side not about Valabik and why you shouldn't judge prospects by Tournaments. He was actually really good at the u18s that year. In fact I think teams looked at him there and went this guy is going to break out offensively his next couple of seasons. He never did.

At the time though it looks like the Valabik pick wasn't that bad. Central scouting had him rated at #6 among North American skaters. It's not like the Sergei Bautin pick.

A quick and dirty look at the 2004 draft suggests that there weren't a tonne of great names available after Valabik. A few steals to be sure (Pekka Rinne went 258th overall? Mark Streit in the ninth round, 262nd overall?) but really, was there anyone who obviously should have gone before Valabik?

It was worse for Columbus imho. They took Alexandre Picard, a forward, at #8, two ahead of Atlanta. His NHL career? 67 games played, no goals, two assists.

m.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
At the time though it looks like the Valabik pick wasn't that bad. Central scouting had him rated at #6 among North American skaters. It's not like the Sergei Bautin pick.

A quick and dirty look at the 2004 draft suggests that there weren't a tonne of great names available after Valabik. A few steals to be sure (Pekka Rinne went 258th overall? Mark Streit in the ninth round, 262nd overall?) but really, was there anyone who obviously should have gone before Valabik?

It was worse for Columbus imho. They took Alexandre Picard, a forward, at #8, two ahead of Atlanta. His NHL career? 67 games played, no goals, two assists.

m.
upload_2020-4-20_16-56-26.png

Reactions: rubikscube

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
On the bright side, the Thrashers were able to trade Valabik and Peverley for Wheeler, so in that sense, Valabik's value was actually highly underrated. :laugh:

Yeah Atlanta did us a big solid in drafting Valabik and landing our captain by trading him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad