News Article: THN: NHL Pre-season Predictions: Atlantic Division - No. 1 Boston Bruins

TimmytheTank

Nov 13, 2008
I thought it was a very fair assessment. If the chips fall where the front office expects them to this year, we are a better team than we were last year:

Eriksson > Seguin (for now)
Iginla > Jagr
Youth on the blueline ~= aging vets
Youth up front < loss of Horton and Pevs

I agree with the writer on the Seguin deal, namely that the bruins have to win in the next 1 to 3 years while they're still winning that deal, because after that Seguin will likely be the better player. If they don't "win now" with Eriksson, the trade will be a loss.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
You can tell who ever wrote that article hated the Seguin trade.

I don't know. I think he was just pointing out what everyone already knows and has been acknowledged ad nauseum in this very forum. Sequin has a big upside but is still quite immature. Eriksson is still a bit of a question mark though he is more seasoned than Seguin. Nothing out of the ordinary there, and certainly nothing derogatory. I think the writer's tone is pretty neutral. He's just stating the facts.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He's right about Seguin though. The next couple of years will be telling. The fact is, Tyler will most likely excel in a place where its mostly offense first, rather than defence like it was here. Uptempo play suits him. It was only a matter of time before they realized his style doesn't fit ours, same with Kessel. Its unfortunate, but thats our system, and to win now with our window with Chara, you had to take advantage of it.

However, this writer is drinking some serious koolaide because Dogman? Really? :laugh:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I am positive this team won't notice Daugavins out of the line up.

I think this team will miss Ference's leadership and likely Seguin's speed.

I think Iginla is better than Horton.

I think the Bruins are sitting in a pretty nice place right now but I generally hate pre season predictions. In think the new Atlantic is going to be tough-at least Boston, Detroit and Ottawa with Leafs and Habs nipping at their heels.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I thought it was a very fair assessment. If the chips fall where the front office expects them to this year, we are a better team than we were last year:

Eriksson > Seguin (for now)
Iginla > Jagr
Youth on the blueline ~= aging vets
Youth up front < loss of Horton and Pevs

I agree with the writer on the Seguin deal, namely that the bruins have to win in the next 1 to 3 years while they're still winning that deal, because after that Seguin will likely be the better player. If they don't "win now" with Eriksson, the trade will be a loss.

I don't think they need to absolutely win a Cup, just being in position to win it would be fine for me.

As big of a risk as this trade was, keeping Seguin would've been a risk as well based on the off ice stuff we heard about long before the trade. Bruins brass made a unanimous decision back before the trade deadline that Seguin wasn't a proper fit for this team...that's enough for me.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
NHL Pre-season Predictions: Atlantic Division - No. 1 Boston Bruins:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...ons-Atlantic-Division-No-1-Boston-Bruins.html

I actually picked up the magazine for my hockey pool.

In it Boston is ranked 3rd overall in the Center, Winger and Defense and 8th in goal.

But what I found most interesting was the point % each team has against each other in the new Atlantic Division since 2005-06.

Overall Boston has a .582 winning %, but the only team in the division that has a winning percentage against the Red Wings is the Maple Leafs at .667%.

Boston is at .357 and MTL,FLA are .417 and BUF and OTT are .333 and Tampa is 0.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

In it Boston is ranked 3rd overall in the Center, Winger and Defense and 8th in goal.

But what I found most interesting was the point % each team has against each other in the new Atlantic Division since 2005-06.

Overall Boston has a .582 winning %, but the only team in the division that has a winning percentage against the Red Wings is the Maple Leafs at .667%.

Great so when Leafs fans see that little statistic we get to hear about how they're winning the Atlantic..

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Detroit has a very incompatible playing style from many teams and it's hard to match up against. Not that they are better (the Bruins are definitely the better team) but it's hard to squish a soft bug that always runs away quickly.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I don't know if we finish first. I really like the team Ottawa has assembled. We should be one of the 4 teams in the division playing in the post season and we have a real shot at another cup this year.

I think the most interesting team right now is Detroit. Every team in our division over the past 4 years has made an effort to get tougher in order to compete with the Bruins. Looking around the competitive teams in the division, that team is going to have to answer some big questions before too long. There will come a game when tempers get heated, and I don't think Detroit has an answer for that against a team like Toronto, Boston, or Buff.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Best Bruns team on paper the past thirty years IMO. Their top 6 is filthy.

I agree. add in one of if not the best 4th line in the game and Kelly on your thrid line. This team on paper is great.

is it game time yet

drop the puck already.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I don't know if we finish first. I really like the team Ottawa has assembled. We should be one of the 4 teams in the division playing in the post season and we have a real shot at another cup this year.

I think the most interesting team right now is Detroit. Every team in our division over the past 4 years has made an effort to get tougher in order to compete with the Bruins. Looking around the competitive teams in the division, that team is going to have to answer some big questions before too long. There will come a game when tempers get heated, and I don't think Detroit has an answer for that against a team like Toronto, Boston, or Buff.

Ottawa is no threat to Boston, their 2nd line consists of Turris, MacArthur and a player to be named, that just dosen't get it done. Detroit will be our toughest competition.

cashman rules*

Boston-Detroit and Ottawa way back then the bottom feeders from toronto and montreal

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

That's what I'm most interested in seeing with Detroit coming over: will Detroit conform in order to compete in the division that the Bruin's success has helped shape, or will Detroit impose its will on the rest of the division and force the other teams to adapt?

My picks for the division would be:

Boston
Detroit
Toronto
Ottawa

Montreal
Tampa
Florida
Buffalo

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Anyone else wonder about this line: "

PERIPHERAL PREDICTION: Pittsburgh makes it further in the playoffs…only because Jarome Iginla ended up with the Bruins.

"

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Best Bruns team on paper the past thirty years IMO. Their top 6 is filthy.

yup.
i said i think this is gonna be like the 08-09 season.
lots of blowout wins.
i just hope they dont bail in the 2nd round like 09 though.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
ottawa will be tough.
i think its gonna be between us and them for the division. i think ottawa has the best coach in the league. very well coached.

I think det is gonna have a hard time playing the physical teams in the east.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->