News Article: THN - NHL Awards as of March 12 (Before Shutdown)

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
NHL Awards at the pause: who has the inside track in the trophy races? - TheHockeyNews

This jumped out:

Bergy #5 for Selke

5. Patrice Bergeron, Bruins – Bergeron doesn’t handle the same type of workload as the top couple guys on this list but still centers hockey’s best line, dominates faceoffs and tilts the ice in his favor when he’s on the ice.

Thoughts? Is the writer delusional? Not the same workload? Am I missing something?

Kind of just looks like the Bruins were disrespected all around.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
NHL Awards at the pause: who has the inside track in the trophy races? - TheHockeyNews

This jumped out:

Bergy #5 for Selke

5. Patrice Bergeron, Bruins – Bergeron doesn’t handle the same type of workload as the top couple guys on this list but still centers hockey’s best line, dominates faceoffs and tilts the ice in his favor when he’s on the ice.

Thoughts? Is the writer delusional? Not the same workload? Am I missing something?

The average TOI and +/- for the 5 listed players are as follows:

Couturier 19:50, +21
O'Reilly 20:34, +11
Danault 18:51, +18
Cirelli 18:28, +28
Bergeron 18:44. +23

Those numbers put Bergeron well in the mix in terms of his workload and impact. However he's missed a few games and was definitely being managed for large parts of the season due to his groin issue and just his age and wear and tear in general. Despite that he was still excellent, but by his exceedingly high standards it hasn't been his very best season. I'd have him ahead of Danault and Cirelli, but he's not quite a genuine Selke contender this time. O'Reilly's been solid again, but Couturier is the clear stand-out for me. He's been outstanding at both ends and a key force in bringing the Flyers almost to the top of their division.

I do wonder about a slight bias against the Bruins on the part of the author though. The Bruins are top of the league by 6 points plus a game in hand but they only warrant 2 players in the top-5 lists, one of whom is a goalie. Was there really no-one else who merited nomination?

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

This jumped out:

Bergy #5 for Selke

The sporting news hasn't been the same since Larry Wigge. I mean who is this guy?????

No Bruin in top 5 for the Hart ???

I question how much Hockey this guy actually watches.:shakehead

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cassidy as an honourable mention for the Adams as well? WTF?

Bruins are running into good team syndrome.

Can't have a Hart Candidate, because the perfection line is all a legitimate candidate and split the vote.

Can't win the Vezina, because the Bruins team defense is too good.

Can't win the Selke, because the Bruins have depth, and Bergeron doesn't play more than 20 min a night

Can't even be considered for Coach of year because the Bruins are so good at F, D, G, so of course anyone could coach them and win

I am reminded of Chuck Noll, who won 4 Superbowls in 6 years in the 70s, and never got a sniff of coach of the year award. Until 1 of the 4 services that were giving awards at the time, gave him the award in 1989 for the 10th best team he ever coached

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The average TOI and +/- for the 5 listed players are as follows:

Couturier 19:50, +21
O'Reilly 20:34, +11
Danault 18:51, +18
Cirelli 18:28, +28
Bergeron 18:44. +23

Those numbers put Bergeron well in the mix in terms of his workload and impact. However he's missed a few games and was definitely being managed for large parts of the season due to his groin issue and just his age and wear and tear in general. Despite that he was still excellent, but by his exceedingly high standards it hasn't been his very best season. I'd have him ahead of Danault and Cirelli, but he's not quite a genuine Selke contender this time. O'Reilly's been solid again, but Couturier is the clear stand-out for me. He's been outstanding at both ends and a key force in bringing the Flyers almost to the top of their division.

I do wonder about a slight bias against the Bruins on the part of the author though. The Bruins are top of the league by 6 points plus a game in hand but they only warrant 2 players in the top-5 lists, one of whom is a goalie. Was there really no-one else who merited nomination?
This graphic says it all.

Top-Defensive-Forwards-Individual.jpg

Zone starts, teammates, playing with the puck more than most in the league and he's still that far ahead of the curve in terms of removing the opposition from the puck. I think for anyone that doesn't watch and just goes by the advanced numbers, they'll see him with Marchand and Pasta and just get the completely wrong idea. They look at zone starts and just disregard everything else. He's the one on that line that allows them to function offensively. Just doing a collab with dafoomie right now and there's over 8 minutes worth of defensive highlights at the end of October. He's still more active than anyone defensively.

Edit: I see he has Marchand in the HM. I know that reputation exists even among Bruins fans about Marchand's defensive play, but after watching both of their shifts this year in its entirety, I can't even begin to tell you how truly off-base that is to have them so close together. Marchand's strength is primarily with the puck on his stick creating space for his linemates. He's a minimal factor defensively. He's an exceptional PK guy, but again, it's mostly when he's ragging the puck, he's not all that effective away from the puck. Above average for sure, but nothing great.

Last edited:

BruinsNetwork

If you’re the coach of an NHL team and your team is down one goal with 30 seconds left on a defensive-zone draw, what player on that list are you picking besides Bergeron?

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Rask is easily the Vezina winner and this article is bullshit

Don't be surprised if Hellebuyck gets the Vezina. Sure, Rask's numbers are slightly better, especially his win percentage, but Connor's played a massive 58 games, 56 as starter, which is 15 more that Tuuks. A crazy 84% of the Jets' points this season have come with him in goal, and he is easily the biggest reason why Winnipeg were still in the playoff hunt when the suspension hit. And whatever the other deficiencies of the article, the author is dead right to point out that Rask benefits from a better defense and less traffic.

Personally I'd still give it to Tuukka, just, because he's been consistently exceptional in his usual calm, measured way, and I can only remember him having 2 sub-par games all season. But if Hellebuyck wins I'd certainly consider him a worthy recipient.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Don't be surprised if Hellebuyck gets the Vezina. Sure, Rask's numbers are slightly better, especially his win percentage, but Connor's played a massive 58 games, 56 as starter, which is 15 more that Tuuks. A crazy 84% of the Jets' points this season have come with him in goal, and he is easily the biggest reason why Winnipeg were still in the playoff hunt when the suspension hit. And whatever the other deficiencies of the article, the author is dead right to point out that Rask benefits from a better defense and less traffic.

Personally I'd still give it to Tuukka, just, because he's been consistently exceptional in his usual calm, measured way, and I can only remember him having 2 sub-par games all season. But if Hellebuyck wins I'd certainly consider him a worthy recipient.
Some things that you missed that should be added. First Hellebuyck sees on average 30.96 shots a game while Rask sees exactly 29. So just under 2 shot difference. Next up is the chances of getting points in games they played should be a big factor. For that Hellebuyck has 67 points out of 116 points possible giving a 57% point percentage. Rask on the hand has 58 points out of 82 possible giving him a 70% point percentage. Now I know I'm biased but I think that Rask is the superior candidate at the moment and should win his second Vezina. It will be interesting though to see how the voters think though.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
they were asking on tsn690 out of montreal if you had 5 guys for a pp in the nhl today and 4 for a pk who would you choose?

I think the host was mitch Melnick? whoever it was he names Patrice Bergeron for his PP AND his PK

I think his other PP guys were Ovechkin and Crosby up front... cant remember if he had McDavid on his starting 5 or not.

the walkaway is that a guy in our chief rival city who sees Bergeron that often is picking him from the entire NHL roster for both special teams. For what its worth... I would pick him too. Bergeron has become one hell of a slot man on the PP and has always been the best big-game faceoff guy in the NHL the past decade now. his 5-on-5 offense isnt elite when seperated from marchand, but on the PP hes damn good....

no need to explain here on a bruins site just how good he is on PK. This is where Brad Marchand shines too. Couple years ago I saw one of those advance stats that showed Bergeron/Marchand actually were controlling the play against the opposition PP when the 2 of them were out there on the PK. Of course, Chara was a big big big reason that can happen too. I think I saw a stat that said it was like a full season since the bruins had allowed a pp goal against when all 3 of Bergeron/marchand/chara were on the ice. dont quote me on that because im clutching at a very faint memory and I cant remember the exact details, only that it impressed the hell out of me at the time I read it {and I cant be impressed that easily anymore because I expect these guys to be HART worthy everytime they step on the ice.

Its too bad that a lot of voters get that attitude of passing awards around at a certain point. Bergeron is very likely getting shafted with no more selke's for his career now at this point. its too fashionable to throw a spotlight on some new blood. I daresay if you asked coaches which guy in the league you work your hardest to get your star line away from... it would be a matchup against Bergeron. I daresay if you ask the majority of players who is the one guy they fear will shut them down in a 7 game head-to-head the answer is going to be Bergeron again.

whether he gets the trophy for his case or not... his defense helps us win more games than any of these other guys on the list {but dont get me wrong, this is a good list of contenders for who might be number 2 in the NHL... probably missing Barkov and Kopitar but they didnt have their best seasons}

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->