THN Mock Draft 2011 has RNH going 3rd overall to Florida

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
(On RNH's vision being compared to #99)

"That's the highest compliment you can get, but also another thing is the way Ryan competes. He never takes a night off and he works as hard in his own end as he does in the offensive zone. It takes a special player with special skills to be able to do that."

- WHL Scout Peter Sullivan

RNH is small, that is for sure. Like Ponder says, it takes upwards of half a decade to add 20lbs of lean muscle. You can bet that RNH will be bulking like hell, tonnes of water, food before the weigh in to skew his weight higher. If he comes in at 175, you can bet he actually weights 170 on a regular basis.

Still, when you look at all the elite C's and 1st line C's under 6'0" and 195lbs in the NHL:

Datsyuk
Mike Richards
Brad Richards
Briere
Riberio

For this guy to be a lock at #1, you know he is going to be special.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
"He has a higher skill level than Hedman"- Stu MacGregor

"Many scouts believe Larsson's game is more advanced at the same age than the towering Victor Hedman"- Bob McKenzie

"From the blueline in, he's a lot more dangerous offensively than (Victor) Hedman at the same age"- Scout quoted by McKenzie

"One European NHL scout from a Western Conference team told NHL.com that Larsson might be ahead of where Victor Hedman was at the midway point of his draft year two years ago."- NHL.com

So a quote from one scout (with no reason to tell the truth and every reason to lie) and a bunch of hearsay. Awesome.

Ogopogo*

There are four players I would rather have than Larsson on the Oil:

RNH
Huberdeau
Hamilton
Storm

Larsson is overrated, IMO.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
A bunch of lists compiled by actual NHL scouts will have him lower than #1. My list will probably have him at 4, considering he's the 4th best prospect in the Draft overall.

Edit - And with all the senseless hype surrounding Huberdeau, he'll be #1 on some final lists, no doubt.

You might have him at #4, but im not sure why we should care?

Hes talking about ISS, central scouting, future considerations, redline, McKenzie etc. You know, lists compiled with actual scouting input, and have a lot of credibility.

I cannot think of a list any scouting service has produced in the last 3 or so months that hasnt had him #1 . If that doesn't make him consensus, i dont know what will...

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
A bunch of lists compiled by actual NHL scouts will have him lower than #1. My list will probably have him at 4, considering he's the 4th best prospect in the Draft overall.

Edit - And with all the senseless hype surrounding Huberdeau, he'll be #1 on some final lists, no doubt.

link?
cause every credible scouting service has him #1

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I don't neccesairly agree with it but if Edmonton goes with Larsson the top 3 will likely happen like this. Nugent-Hopkins isn't far enough ahead of the others (IE he's not a clear BPA) to warrant Colorado taking him over something they need.

I love how they say that, but on almost everyone's list they have RNH going first. Weird....

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
No it's not. Hedman was considerably better his draft year than Larsson is now. There's no comparison. They aren't even similar players.

Name the scouts that have said that.

Unfortunately you don't understand swedish, but this is one of the most knowledgeable swedish expects say that his a better talent than Hedman. I've also heard some of the best Swedish scouts say that, but I don't have a link at the moment. You don't know what you're talking about.

Larsson is better and will be better than Hedman.

I don't like how he sounds in the interviews though, he sounds like the swedish version of Bouwmeester.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
A Swede hyping the top draft-eligible Swede before the Draft? Amazing. You sold me.

Someone just compared RNH to Wayne Gretzky. People get caught up in hype every year.

Wrong and wrong.

:laugh:

He didn't hype him against other prospects, he just compared him to Hedman which is fair.

And yes, Larsson is better than Hedman. Your argument: "wrong" isn't really helping your case when everyone quotes scouts and experts saying otherwise.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
One reason the Oilers should not take a D, next year the draft is absolutely loaded with D, I
wouldn't be surprised if 7 out of the top 10 prospects would be defensemans for next year.

Last edited:

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
He didn't hype him against other prospects, he just compared him to Hedman which is fair.

You don't have to shoot down someone else to be hyping someone. Comparing him to Hedman is ridiculous. They're both Swedes, they're both defensemen and they were both considered the best Swedes of their draft year. That's about the only way they're comparable.

And yes, Larsson is better than Hedman. Your argument: "wrong" isn't really helping your case when everyone quotes scouts and experts saying otherwise.

I've already made my argument. If you want to ignore it, that's on you. But ONE guy posted a quote from ONE scout. Try not to make it out to be anything more than it is.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
Bluechip Bulletin is just another scouting website trying to make a name for himself by compiling illogical rankings. Don't feed him.

I'm not worried about making a name for myself. I rank players (not that you've seen a ranking from me) based on what I've seen and what the evidence shows, not based on where everyone else has someone ranked.

I think it's hilarious that people think that if you say something that isn't what everyone else is saying, that you're trying to "make a name for yourself". Think that through. So you're looking for people who say the same thing as everyone else? You're looking for people who ignore their own opinions and just rearrange everyone else's lists? How does that add anything?

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
I hope this is true (not so much that RNH falls to 3rd but that the Oilers select Larsson over him).

I completely agree. The Oilers would be better off selecting Larsson. I can't explain it but I have a bad feeling about RNH for some reason.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
We have a lot of strength on the Wing, but we need some Centre help. Badly. It was a bigger hole for us last year than defense was, and that's saying something, because defense was obviously a hole.

Regardless, Petry is going to play next year. Whitney is fantastic. Gilbert is a competent #4. There's Peckham and Smid who are both legit bottom pairing defenders who play with grit and toughness. Foster's your #7. It's a young group, but hardly a black hole on our roster. Add one legitimate veteran top-4 from trade or free agency, and it's a legitimate top-7.

I can see your point but Whitney is constantly hurt. Even when he's playing he admits not feeling right

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
lol, but you said a bunch of lists by NHL scouts don't have RNH #1...where? and if they haven't released them, how do you know they don't have him rated #1?

*facepalm*

I'm in the RNH camp and am 99% certain thats who Tambo calls out to begin the draft, but its not out of the question that some scouts don't have RNH 1st. In McKenzie's ranking (where he polls 10 NHL scouts who remain anonymous), he said RNH got 6/10 first place votes, Larsson got 2 and Landeskog got 2 (I think this was back in March). How much has changed from this I don' know, but I'm not sure RNH qualifies as consensus #1 - though neither have any of the last few 1st rders going by that criteria.

For that reason I don't see what the big deal is. The Oil will get their guy and I hope/prefer that he gets one more year of seasoning in the Dub and stars for Team Canada at the WJC. It will be benefitial to him and to the Oilers going forward (his ELC would expire the same time Horcoff's contract does if he waits a year for the NHL).

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I can see your point but Whitney is constantly hurt. Even when he's playing he admits not feeling right
Whitney was born with high arches in his feet. His had his left foot repaired when he was with the Penguins and his fight foot done last summer. This season was the first time since 2006-07 that he felt anywhere near 100% and we saw what he did. He had an unfortunate ankle injury(unrelated to his feet issues) that has been described as an absolute fluke. I wouldn't describe him as injury prone and he should be 100% by next season. There was talk that he could possibly play the final 2 or 3 games of the regular season so he should be good to go.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
As much as I like RNH, and as much as I think he'll be selected 1st overall, I wouldn't be one tiny iota surprised by Adam Larsson going first. RNH's slight build, weighted man-advantage point totals, and relatively weak (if accurate) shot all raise red flags and increase his risk factor. Larsson is the least risky player in this draft (in my opinion) other than Landeskog, and still fills a major hole in their lineup and may be one of the only draft-eligibles ready for the NHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad