THN Mock Draft 2011 has RNH going 3rd overall to Florida

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
RNH will be a good top 6 center but don't expect him to be your franchise saving center. I can't even see RNH being in the NHL next season he's just too skinny. Atleast when Kane/Hall came into the league they were wingers so they could gain outside speed on opposing defenseman. Being a center whose 165 won`t go over so well in the big leagues

He's 172 as of last week. Probably be 185 by the season.

Putting on weight is not difficult at all. Burmistrov put on nearly 30 pounds in the offseason last year. He was in the NHL last year in spite of being less talented and thinner than RNH by draft combine numbers.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
NHL.com has him listed at 165 so give or take a few pounds. Look how well Burmistrov performed too? His number weren't spectacular at all, he definitely could of used another season in the OHL to bulk up. Despite his highlight reel goal he didnt have a spectacular season so wheres you arguement? If you expect RNH to put on 30 pounds this offseason okay its possible. Expect about 10-15 of that to be fat though which will slow him down. There's no shame in sending him back to the WHL. Your ignorance is pretty funny

Burmistrov had a good year in the NHL. He was defensively aware and go some time on the PK. Just because you don't produce as a rookie doesn't make it bad for development (see Joe Thornton).

I don't understand why people think there is this huge separation between RNH and the other top 5 picks, he has done little to pull himself away as the best pick, the only reason he is seen as the dominate prospect is because of Edmonton.

Don't get me wrong, I think RNH might be the best prospect but i don't understand the uproar.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
NHL.com has him listed at 165 so give or take a few pounds. Look how well Burmistrov performed too? His number weren't spectacular at all, he definitely could of used another season in the OHL to bulk up. Despite his highlight reel goal he didnt have a spectacular season so wheres you arguement? If you expect RNH to put on 30 pounds this offseason okay its possible. Expect about 10-15 of that to be fat though which will slow him down and there's no shame in sending him back to the WHL. Your ignorance is pretty funny though

See Nazem Kadri this year. He put on what, 20 pounds?

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

He could not have played in the NHL as a regular, and I feel for any team that makes the mistake of playing Larsson in the NHL next year. I'm assuming that you haven't seen Larsson play, because if you had and you still thought that he was NHL-ready, that would speak volumes about your ability to judge talent.

Saying Larsson isnt ready is saying Hedman isnt ready. Many, many scouts have said Larsson is already better than Hedman.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Dave Conte, Devils draft Guru, recentely mentioned the names of RNH, Larrson, Landeskog and Huberdeau. Not sure if there's really a lot you can take out of that, except that they may have Huberdeau rated ahead of Couturier on their draft list.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
NHL.com has him listed at 165 so give or take a few pounds. Look how well Burmistrov performed too? His number weren't spectacular at all, he definitely could of used another season in the OHL to bulk up. Despite his highlight reel goal he didnt have a spectacular season so wheres you arguement? If you expect RNH to put on 30 pounds this offseason okay its possible. Expect about 10-15 of that to be fat though which will slow him down and there's no shame in sending him back to the WHL. Your ignorance is pretty funny though

Wow.

FTR, Nugent-Hopkins himself said he was at 172 about a week ago in a radio interview. And gaining lean muscle mass at a good clip.

But yeah...ignorance, and all that. Good on you.

Ogopogo*

Would be devestating to me if the Oilers ended up with Larsson. There are four players I would rather have than him:

RNH
Huberdeau
Hamilton
Strome

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
If you say so.

Teams that win the cup, dont build around their wingers....they build down the middle.

See.

Chicago,Pittsbugh, Detroit, Carolina, Tampa.

Hall may be able to thrive with RNH, but he wont carry the team on his own, it will be with the help of RNH.

Very few teams have Wingers that are better then the No.1 centre.... RNH is not Hall... Hall can take a team on his back. He's is bigger, faster, more consistent and he has a bigger impact on the game

zeus3007*

Wasn't Larsson battling shoulder injury all year too? If so, then he falls in the DO NOT WANT category, I'd take RNH, Landeskog, Huberdau or Coutourier over him if that is the case. The Oil have enough injury problems without wasting their 1st overall on a guy with injury issues, even if those injury issues are minor.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

He could not have played in the NHL as a regular, and I feel for any team that makes the mistake of playing Larsson in the NHL next year. I'm assuming that you haven't seen Larsson play, because if you had and you still thought that he was NHL-ready, that would speak volumes about your ability to judge talent.

Here you have said absolutely nothing really. Just made a statement out of your...well let it be your head.

No it's not. Hedman was considerably better his draft year than Larsson is now. There's no comparison. They aren't even similar players.
And that is just false.

Man Hole Inspector*

See Nazem Kadri this year. He put on what, 20 pounds?

Kadri spent another season in junior, then carried over to the AHL. Hes maturing both physically and mentally as a player. This is totally irrelevant to my point that RNH should spend another season in the WHL. Who knows he could perform and have a great NHL. IMO he'll have a tough time playing center in the NHL stepping in right away. There's no shame in letting him go back to the WHL, play for Team Canada

Man Hole Inspector*

Very few teams have Wingers that are better then the No.1 centre.... RNH is not Hall... Hall can take a team on his back. He's is bigger, faster, more consistent and he has a bigger impact on the game

Agreed x1000. RNH is a good player but he's going to be a complimentary for HALL. He really hasn't pulled out dramatically over the other top 5 players.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Agreed x1000. RNH is a good player but he's going to be a complimentary for HALL. He really hasn't pulled out dramatically over the other top 5 players.

Maybe in regards to current production, but that's not what this is about.

Believe me, RNH and Hall will both be complimentary to each other...not one benefitting from the play of the other.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Although I would draft RNH if I was the Oilers, I think Couturier might be a better fit between Hall and Eberle then RNH.

DeVries*

I could see Edmonton take Larsson first ; they need a strong number one d-man (with the potential of franchise d-man tag) for years to come, and Larsson is NHL ready and looks more complete than a guy like Hedman. But if it happens, I can't see Colorado pass on RNH. Then if this happens too, I can see Colorado trade Stastny during the draft week-end... Dominos my friends :sarcasm:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Name the scouts that have said that.

"He has a higher skill level than Hedman"- Stu MacGregor

"Many scouts believe Larsson's game is more advanced at the same age than the towering Victor Hedman"- Bob McKenzie

"From the blueline in, he's a lot more dangerous offensively than (Victor) Hedman at the same age"- Scout quoted by McKenzie

"One European NHL scout from a Western Conference team told NHL.com that Larsson might be ahead of where Victor Hedman was at the midway point of his draft year two years ago."- NHL.com

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Burmistrov had a good year in the NHL. He was defensively aware and go some time on the PK. Just because you don't produce as a rookie doesn't make it bad for development (see Joe Thornton).

I don't understand why people think there is this huge separation between RNH and the other top 5 picks, he has done little to pull himself away as the best pick, the only reason he is seen as the dominate prospect is because of Edmonton.

Don't get me wrong, I think RNH might be the best prospect but i don't understand the uproar.

I remember Thorntons rookie year very well, most thought he was a bust after his rookie season. That year in the NHL only stalled and hurt his development. He was not ready

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Maybe in regards to current production, but that's not what this is about.

Believe me, RNH and Hall will both be complimentary to each other...not one benefitting from the play of the other.

Oh definitely both will help each other out. But if I want 1 guy to lead my franchise and be my building block for 10 years... its Hall and not even close.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
can somebody please write the complete 1st Round?

I'm pretty sure that some guys here are interested in this

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Dave Conte, Devils draft Guru, recentely mentioned the names of RNH, Larrson, Landeskog and Huberdeau. Not sure if there's really a lot you can take out of that, except that they may have Huberdeau rated ahead of Couturier on their draft list.

Well, isn't the issue with Huberdeau is that he might only be a winger in the NHL?

Then again, the Devils do need some center help, so that is interesting that Couturier is off the list.

4thliner*

Huberdeau will carry this act to the NHL as soon as next year and pull off a Skinner. Except Huberdeau is a more complete player.

Some lucky team will draft him 3rd to 6th and could end up with a very competitive and clutch highly skilled franchise type player.

Huberdeau at 6-2 210 will be a terror to try to contain in 3 or 4 years from now.

OilerOlli*

That would be NJ's worst nightmare if that happened. I just don't see how Huberdeau doesn't go in the Top 3. And while Larsson to Edmonton does make sense, I still think they will take RNH.

Interesting. I see it the oposite. I don't see Huberdeau go in the Top 3

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
By Ryan Kennedy in the June, 2011 issue of THN.

He's got the following as the top 5:

1. Edmonton - Adam Larsson
2. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
4. New Jersey - Sean Couturier
5. NYI - Jonathan Huberdeau

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Personally, while I think this top 5 fits each team's need pretty damn well...I'm just not sure if I see RNH "dropping" to 3rd overall..

I am one of the few oiler fans that wants Larsson over RNH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->