News Article: THN: Kenny "I don't look over my shoulder" Holland

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He doesn't have to look over his shoulder because he already knows someone is standing behind him.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Holland and Yzerman are friends. I can't believe Yzerman would take over without Holland agreeing.

That agreement may go back many years.

Reactions: golffuul

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's pretty much a nothing interview and I kind of know what he's saying but rebuilding as GM is very different than being an entry level scout. He's been through it before, but he hasn't done it before.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think kenny will always have a job practically anywhere he wants to work. His resume speaks for itself, and the only GM in the cap-era to achieve a rebuild on the fly.

By "achieving" re-building on the fly, I assume you mean "re-building on the fly to win the cup"? I only ask, because if you just mean doing it successfully and maintaining contending status, I would say San Jose did it as well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is really an attitude statement. He can't do his job if he's constantly feeling the hand of death chasing him. You see this attitude a lot from the obvious lame duck coaches. "I just look forward and think about winning the next game." And then they are fired. And they knew that was likely, but you can't be the leader of a franchise always checking under your bed for the pink slip boogieman.

So it's a big pile of nothing, mostly. It's a guy trying to get the job done in front of him. I respect that.

But... I think it's another indication of his hubris. His massive pride and confidence that he could beat the odds and maintain a dynasty.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Speaking selfishly, I would love to see Yzerman take over and initiate an honest rebuild in Detroit. For his own sake, I really hope Yzerman gets the gig in Seattle, because at this rate Holland is poised to leave this franchise in as good of shape as that which Rutherford left behind in Carolina: the on-ice equivalent of a suicide pass.

It's a fine interview, but people are going to take that one quote out of context and attack his character.
That quote is printed as a standalone and pretty well speaks for itself. Please explain how it is being (or will be) taken out of context.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
This is really an attitude statement. He can't do his job if he's constantly feeling the hand of death chasing him. You see this attitude a lot from the obvious lame duck coaches. "I just look forward and think about winning the next game." And then they are fired. And they knew that was likely, but you can't be the leader of a franchise always checking under your bed for the pink slip boogieman.

So it's a big pile of nothing, mostly. It's a guy trying to get the job done in front of him. I respect that.

But... I think it's another indication of his hubris. His massive pride and confidence that he could beat the odds and maintain a dynasty.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel the hand of death chasing him, quite the opposite. He's just having to swat away some annoying questions coming from the public, which he isn't used to. Otherwise professionally things are cushy for him, as they have been for most of the last 3 decades. Like a monkey swinging thru the jungle, he's got a firm grip of the vine in front of him before letting go of the one behind him (the DRW), and "my ass will never touch ground"

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Ken Holland has been involved drafting the winning core he did win 4 Cups and 6 President's trophies, and will be doing same again.

He is drafting our next core for the next GM who'll get all the success.

Such a great hockey-mind.

This bashing is just disgusting. :shakehead

What has he done lately?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That quote is printed as a standalone and pretty well speaks for itself. Please explain how it is being (or will be) taken out of context.

Asking anyone about their job stability is going to elicit the exact same response. What are you expecting Holland to say? "Yes, I'm constantly looking over my shoulder. I'm in hot water."

Reactions: Oddbob

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
The utter arrogance of this fool is amazing. He failed to mention that the people he had in the front office, and the Hall of Fame players that were gift wrapped to him, made it easy to win all those things for him. We've seen his true ability once all of those things left around him.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Asking anyone about their job stability is going to elicit the exact same response. What are you expecting Holland to say? "Yes, I'm constantly looking over my shoulder. I'm in hot water."
When you look at the line of questioning that THN purportedly asked before and after that exchange, it might just as well be you who is taking it out of context. The questioner appears to be trying to get Holland to tip his hand regarding this upcoming off-season and a potential hand-off/succession (i.e. "the Steve Yzerman situation"); anyone who knows the first damn thing about this organization knows that the chances of Holland being fired or otherwise unseated against his will are nil.
He could've answered the follow-up question effectively the same way he answered the initial question: "No." For a guy who is normally tactful and almost graceful in his dealings with the press, Holland's response here was utterly revealing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->