THN Future Watch?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
wow, the list is so definately NA biased. Kulemin should definately be in the top 15 somewhere. Others that should have also hit the top 50 list: Kiril Koltsov, Igor Mirnov, Denis Grebeshkov, Andrei Taratukhin, and Mikhail Grabovsky.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
wow, the list is so definately NA biased. Kulemin should definately be in the top 15 somewhere. Others that should have also hit the top 50 list: Kiril Koltsov, Igor Mirnov, Denis Grebeshkov, Andrei Taratukhin, and Mikhail Grabovsky.

Hjalmarsson really impressed me at the WJC's and by all reports is playing well for HV71 in the Swedish elite league. Maybe i'm being a bit of a homer but i think he at least had a shot at making that list.

Last edited:

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Being one of the top defenders in the SEL at his age I think would warrent some recognition. At least from what I've read.

He's drawn comparisions to Lidstrom (no I'm not saying he IS Lidstrom, but an article on NHL.com was comparing him to Lidstrom).

I also believe he's one of, if not the leading ice time for D-men in the SEL at the age of 20. Also has a spot on the World Cup Team if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure some of the Swedish posters could shed some more light onto Stralman. His stock has risen alot this past year.

i appreciate the info.

i didn't know if you were suggesting that he should be in the top 50 because of his play or simply because he was a leaf prospect. that happens a lot around here.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Hjalmarsson really impressed me at the WJC's and by all reports is playing well for HV71 in the Swedish elite league. Maybe i'm being a bit of a homer but i think he at least had a shot at making that list.

i'm sure there were many good fins/swedes/czecs, ect. left off the list that maybe should have been. I just know the russian rospects better than the other ones. I don't think the hockey news corresponds well with overseas scouts when putting this magazine together. Another prospect that i don't understand that didn't make the list was sergei kostitsyn.

ollien

Jan 9, 2007
has anyone who gets their TSN copies via digital download received their Future Watch yet? thanks

ollien

Jan 9, 2007
I'm still waiting to receive the actual magazine/issue

the issue with ryan smyth on the cover came through today and it says on the last page, the future watch is available now but it hasnt come through yet. i'll probably wait a few more days then email the guys.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Odd question....can someone post last year's list?

1. Malkin
2. J.Johnson
3. Ryan
4. Weber
5. Kronwall
6. Fleury
7. Brule
8. M.Staal
9. Barker
10. Smid
11. Kopitar
12. Price
13. Skille
14. B.Pouliot
15. Schremp
16. Stafford
17. Eaves
18. Bourdon
19. Radulov
20. Ladd
21. Zajac
22. Lee
23. Latendresse
24. Wolski
25. Wheeler
26. Grebeshkov
27. Setoguchi
28. Montoya
29. Hudler
30. Fehr
31. M.Stuart
32. D.Roy
33. Oshie
34. Schwarz
35. Tukonen
36. O'Marra
37. Rask
38. Bergfors
39. M.Pouliot
40. Harding
41. Zagrapan
42. Tambellini
43. Umberger
44. A.Stewart
45. Korpikoski
46. Bolland
47. J.Howard
48. Upshall
49. Niskanen
50. Bochenski

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
When is this issue available to buy at newstands in Canada?

I've tried to figure it out from reading this thread but it seems everyone is just talking about getting theirs in the mail (aka they are subscribers).

I went yesterday to the mall to get it and the issue they had was the one ranking the top 30 goalies in the NHL.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
When is this issue available to buy at newstands in Canada?

I've tried to figure it out from reading this thread but it seems everyone is just talking about getting theirs in the mail (aka they are subscribers).

I went yesterday to the mall to get it and the issue they had was the one ranking the top 30 goalies in the NHL.

march 12th...thats what it said in the last issue

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised that two Leaf prospects are included in the top 50 (Tlusty and Pogge). As for Kulemin and Stralman, it seems that this year's list is mainly focussed on players in North American leagues (there about 5 or 6 exceptions).

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Based on the list that orcatown posted, who would you remove from the top 15? The only players who might not belong in the top 15 are Brassard (depending on how he recovers from the lost year of development), Irving and Rask. (Always have my doubts about goaltenders). IMO, the biggest snub for the top 15 is Downie. Love him or hate him, he's going to be one of the best big-game players in the league, and a player that every team in the league will covet.

It's going to be heavy on North Americans because the last couple drafts have been kind to North American talent. Most of this year's list will be comprised of players from the 2005 and 2006 drafts. Those drafts contributed big-time to Canada's last two WJC gold medals. And the 2005 and 2006 drafts will go down as two of the best in U.S. history.

When Europe has a top-heavy draft, you'll see a Future Watch list dominated by Europeans.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I haven't got mine yet either.The Hockey News are a terrible record of issues being late.Sports Illustrated and the Sporting News always arrive on Thursday.THN arrives when it arrives.THN always says the problem is the United States Post Office.The bills always seem to arrive every month on the same day:sarcasm:

Maybe the postman takes The Hockey News home and reads it before he delivers it to your house. I doubt they want to pay your bills.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
TSN's top 15 goalie prospects
1. Carey Price (5th overall, up from 12th last year)
2. Tuukka Rask (14th overall, up from 37th last year)
3. Leland Irving (15th overall, unranked last year)
4. Jonathan Bernier (24th overall, unranked last year because he hadn't been drafted yet)
5. Justin Pogge (28th overall, up from 73rd last year)
6. Simeon Varlamov (36th overall, unranked last year because he hadn't been drafted yet)
7. Cory Schneider (38th overall, up from 68th last year)
8. Riku Helenius (41st overall, unranked last year because he hadn't been drafted yet)
9. Josh Harding (42nd overall, down from 40th last year)
10. Al Montoya (54th overall, down from 28th last year)
11. Ondrej Pavelec (60th overall, down from 58th last year)
12. Ben Bishop (62nd overall, unranked last year)
13. Marek Schwarz (70th overall, down from 34th last year)
14. Jimmy Howard (71st overall, down from 47th last year)
15. Devan Dubnyk (74th overall, unranked last year)

SUCH a huge joke. The guy has been flat out dominating the AHL and he somehow DROPS in the rankings and is passed by a bunch of guys who haven't done nearly as much as him?

What a joke! Though it IS THN and they have some really weird rankings sometimes.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
SUCH a huge joke. The guy has been flat out dominating the AHL and he somehow DROPS in the rankings and is passed by a bunch of guys who haven't done nearly as much as him?

What a joke! Though it IS THN and they have some really weird rankings sometimes.

Agreed, but keep in mind that those rankings were done around the 1st of the year, and a lot of games have been played since then. In addition to Montoya, Pavelec has been on fire since returning from the WJC. The two of them would probably be a bit higher today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->