THN Future Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor55

Nov 11, 2005
Can someone tell me if I just received my issue with Zetterberg on it, does that mean I missed the Prospect issue? or is it still coming????????? Thanks

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Igor55 said:
Can someone tell me if I just received my issue with Zetterberg on it, does that mean I missed the Prospect issue? or is it still coming????????? Thanks
Thats my question too..and if i missed it can i get the electronic version of just one issue?

Igor55

Nov 11, 2005
If its a separate issue on its own, does that mean I wont get it as part of my subscription? Thanks for any info you can give. :dunno:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Igor55 said:
If its a separate issue on its own, does that mean I wont get it as part of my subscription? Thanks for any info you can give. :dunno:

You will get it as a part of your subsciption.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Strangely enough, Stanislav Chistov is on the list at #57, while Semin isn't.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Finally! Got my 2006 Future Watch edition at Chapters. Nice picture of Evgeni Malkin in blue and white on the cover. Definitely a keeper magazine. Thanks THN. :handclap:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
nomoment said:
Strangely enough, Stanislav Chistov is on the list at #57, while Semin isn't.

Yeah I'm confused. Hockey News considers Chistov a prospect but Perry and Getzlaf not prospects. They consider Chris Kunitz a prospect even though he has played more NHL games than Getzlaf and Perry and he is older than them.

I'm confused. :dunno:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I picked up a copy, and I'll point out a few things on the Blues:

1. If Tom Timmermann was responsible for ranking the Blues prospects, then I understand why it's largely screwed up. Timmermann has as much business writing about hockey as I do writing about the NBA; he's slightly more credible than Kara Yorio and that's still not saying much. His credibility is shot because ...

2. ... Soderberg is ranked as the #6 prospect for the Blues - behind Jeff Woywitka, David Backes and Roman Polak. I love Backes and I think he's underrated by a lot of people, but to put Woywitka 3rd on the Blues prospect list is just asinine and to put Bacashihua 8th behind Woywitka, Polak and Scott Jackson underscores how badly the Blues list is off.

3. Nikita shouldn't even be on this list; Bishop might be 10th after all is said and done. Woywitka might be 6th, the list should go Oshie, Schwarz, Soderberg, Bacashihua, and Backes for the top 5. Konstantin Barulin should be on there (he was inexplicably left off despite becoming a #1 goalie in the Russian Superleague at 20), Michael Birner might have earned a spot based on his play in the OHL this year.

4. "Defenseman Dennis Wideman and left winger Lee Stempniak would have been on this list, but were recalled to St. Louis and established themselves as regulars." Really? Stempniak a regular? He was barely getting 3rd line minutes before being sent down on December 28, the only reason he's back up is because Doug Weight and Mike Sillinger were traded; otherwise he'd still be in Peoria. Not to say he shouldn't be considered, but if getting called up a 2nd time qualifies as "earned a regular spot," then Marc-Andre Fleury and R.J. Umberger shouldn't have been listed for a similar reason.

Timmermann, .... :rolleyes:

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Surprised more posters aren't complaining about their teams position.
It's too bad we don't know which 21 NHL scouts compiled the list, that would have been almost as interesting as the prospect list. Well, almost :)

IMHO, I think Hudler is rated kind of high. He has NHL level talent but I'm not sure if he'll make it. Considering, Filppula and Grigorenko (Hoping he gets signed and brought over) have a shot at Detroit next year, Hudler may get traded.

Igor55

Nov 11, 2005
well,
I still havent gotten my issue yet. I got the Modano - Olympic issue in the mail yesterday (Fri). So I started to get seriously worried that Id never see this issue, and I cant find it at Barnes and noble or anywhere else. Anyway, I ended up calling the THN customer service number and the kid who I talked to said he we send me another copy, he said it would arrive in "3-5 business days". Im not sure I believe that part but at this point I just want a copy.

Just a side note, while I love THN and all the info they give, and I appreciate them sending me another copy. I am greatly dissappointed in the reliability/timing of the issues arriving at my house. Since I started my subscription in Nov there have been numerous instances where I have either not gotten an issue at all, or it was delayed and then Id get the issue as much as 2 weeks late. Basically its like having a subscription to a good newspaper, but its always a day late. What's the point??????

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Just picked mine up today. A few thoughts:

*I believe the top-10 from each team is either compiled via: a) Asking each team's head scout or b) The ranking from the 21 scouts used to compile the top 50. I think it's somewhere in the pub, haven't looked through it.
*Appreciate the new format. A much more in-depth publication than past years, which was shrinking on an annual basis. Really enjoyed the look back with 1996 and 2001 top 50s. Overall, I'm pleased.
*If I could change one thing, I wish they would have waited until after the WJC to do their voting. It would have changed a lot. Guys like Boyd, Parent, Pogge and Downie would have seen their respective stock rise. I'd be willing to wait until March or even April to get a WJC-reflective list.
*I think they need to establish a set criteria for a prospect. I've been doing an independent top 50 for 10 years at the end of the season. If a player is eligible for the Calder the following year, he's eligible for my list. It's that simple.

Malkin was a shoo-in for No. 1. Johnson deserves to be No. 2, but I'd have Brule as No. 3. (Kari Lehtonen is still eligible for my list, but barring another injury, he'll exercise his eligibility by the end of the year). Hopefully Ryan's No. 3 status in Future Watch (I'd have him somewhere between 6 and 10) will shut up some of the Burke critics.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Great compilation. Price is the second goalie ranked, a little high to my liking, before the likes of Harding, Montoya and Rask. Is Price that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->