Prospect Info: THN Future Watch issue out

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
So the annual future watch issue is out. The Oilers are given a C+ rating. Only two of our prospects are ranked in the top 100 NHL prospects. Those are Evan Bouchard at 10, then Kailer Yamamoto at 43. Thats it. Curiosly, Tyler Benson is not even mentioned in the Oilers top 10.

If KGretz is hanging his hat on our drafting prowess, that probably wont cut it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So the annual future watch issue is out. The Oilers are given a C+ rating. Only two of our prospects are ranked in the top 100 NHL prospects. Those are Evan Bouchard at 10, then Kailer Yamamoto at 43. Thats it. Curiosly, Tyler Benson is not even mentioned in the Oilers top 10.

If KGretz is hanging his hat on our drafting prowess, that probably wont cut it.

The Hockey News is nothing to go by.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Who did they list as the Oilers' Top 10?

Benson not being listed is an incredible screwup.

Especially with the season he's had in the AHL. I have to think Yamo, Bouchard, Samorukov are on the list. Probably McLeod, but I don't see how Benson wouldn't be after those guys.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

That's far more of an indictment on The Hockey News than it is Keith Gretzky.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Benson has more of a case for top 5 than outside the top 10. I can't imagine any reasonable argument justifying him being outside the top 10.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If one of our best prospects isn't even in the top ten, clearly it's not the gold standard.
I agree it was an oversight, which is why I specifically mentioned it. If I had to guess, I’d imagine it’s because the lists likely take a long time to compile, and Benson had what? Like 4 goals at the mid point of the season? Just a guess.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

That's pretty terrible. Who did up the list for the Oilers?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Think they also had Puju breaking out this year.... and the Oilers as near favorites to win the Cup last year..... so they clearly don't get much right about the Oilers.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Benson was drafted in 2016, maybe he doesn't meet their criteria anymore?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It reads to me like a list slapped together with year old information and very minimal research done to close that gap.

It's a reasonable take on the Oilers in July of 2018, not April of 2019.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Think they also had Puju breaking out this year.... and the Oilers as near favorites to win the Cup last year..... so they clearly don't get much right about the Oilers.

I had Puju scoring 25 goals this year
I had Nurse scoring 40-45 points.

Well, I was good on one, not so good on the other. I'm not ready to write of Puju. I wish they would put him on one line instead of this yo-yo bs. He needs to work on a one-timer. Can you imagine Hoffman with Drai? He would score 40-50

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
So you are saying they are the gold standard yet everyone know Benson is one of the Oilers best prospects . Heck Benson is further along then Yamamoto .
Who does a better job at ranking prospects overall than THN with this issue? I keep old copies going back 10+ years and they stand the test of time. I’m not saying theyre always right, hell I pointed out the underrating of Benson, but I cant believe how dismissive folks are being about a publication with their long-term record.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who does a better job at ranking prospects overall than THN with this issue? I keep old copies going back 10+ years and they stand the test of time. I’m not saying theyre always right, hell I pointed out the underrating of Benson, but I cant believe how dismissive folks are being about a publication with their long-term record.
No one does. All these rankings are crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->