THN Feature- "Dollars and Shame"

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Just a heads up to those in the HOH section. "Dollars and Shame"- my piece on 1940s gambling pariah and former Boston Bruin Don Gallinger- appears in the February 21st edition of THN. You can check it out in the Digital Edition right now, or next Wednesday/whenever it reaches your mailbox otherwise.

Feedback would be appreciated!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You are in ATD board drafts here at HfBoards, so you may have noticed I drafted him 1389th in the 2010 ATD-AA Draft.

Don Gallinger, the 5-year NHL pro who led the Bruins in assists and points in 1945-46 and in assists again two seasons later, 7th in league assists the 1947-48 season, scoring 153 NHL points in 222 NHL games, including 3 goals in the 1943 Stanley Cup Finals run and 6 points in the 1945 Finals run. Number 11, the nephew of HHOFer Shorty Green, was the second youngest NHLer in history at age 17 and centered the Kid Line until a gambling scandal ended a decent career five seasons later at the tender age of 22.

bruins12542.jpg

".. good shooting, swift skating..."

http://books.google.ca/books?id=wpb...BzgU#v=onepage&q=don gallinger bruins&f=false
He became known as Boston's "lamplighter" because he was one of the mainstays on a team on its way up the ladder in the standings. Over the course of his early years in hockey, he had been offered contracts by baseball's Philadelphia Phillies and later the Boston Red Sox. Both times he turned down the offers because they were too small. With two sports from which to choose, if necessary, he was riding high in the sports world. But suddenly the bubble burst. At the same time as Billy "The Kid" Taylor was barred from professional hockey, Gallinger was handed an indefinite suspension stemming from his association with Detroit bookmaker and racketeer, James Tamer.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12673

It'll be interesting to see what research you dug up on him. I assume it isn't all about off-ice politics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad