THN.com final top 120 prospects for 2020 Draft

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
THN.com has put out its FINAL list of top 120 prospects for the 2020 Draft...
Chicago currently is slated to pick 9, 56, 71, 77, 102, 133 and 164, so whom do they have ranked at their first five spots?

#9...Anton Lundell, c, HIFK(fin)
#56...Nico Daws, g, Guelph(ohl)
#71...Egor Sokolov, lw, Cape Breton(qmjhl)
#76...Sean Farrell,c, Chicago(ushl)
#102...Jan Bednar,g, Karlovy Vary(cze)

Well what you guys think?

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Is Askarov ranked #1 ahead of Lafreniere or is Kris Bryant going to have to cry on his stream about it later?

Reactions: Crow

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
If hawks pick 5th overall Jamie Drysdale (D) .OHL
9.Lucas Raymond (RW ) SHL ...first choice.
Jack Quinn (RW ) OHL ....second choice
56.Jaromir Pytlik (C) OHL
71.Jack Finley (C) WHL
77.Tyler Tullio (C) OHL
102.Christoffer Sedoff (D) FIN liga
133.Axel Kumlin (D) SHL Jr 20
164.Vsevolod Skotnikov (G ) RUS MHL

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
71.Jack Finley (C) WHL
77.Tyler Tullio (C) OHL
I'd like to get Sedoff with a late pick. 4th round or later would be fine. I could see him becoming a Hjalmarsson type with the right development. Bonus that he happens to be a Hawks fan.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
I’d prefer

9-Raymond or Holtz I think/hope Montreal will continue to load up on C and take Lundell instead of Raymond
56-Tuch...Power F
71-Petersen...Power F
77-Commesso/Bednar/Clang Goalies with Upside
102-Daniel Torgersson...Big Winger

Add some size with speed. All of the top prospects seem like they are at or under 6’. Tampa is a great regular season team but when the playoffs come around they disappear because it becomes a war. Big Buff type players...maybe a few lbs less though.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I’d prefer

9-Raymond or Holtz I think/hope Montreal will continue to load up on C and take Lundell instead of Raymond
56-Tuch...Power F
71-Petersen...Power F
77-Commesso/Bednar/Clang Goalies with Upside
102-Daniel Torgersson...Big Winger

Add some size with speed. All of the top prospects seem like they are at or under 6’. Tampa is a great regular season team but when the playoffs come around they disappear because it becomes a war. Big Buff type players...maybe a few lbs less though.
No way in hell Raymond makes it anywhere close to 9...but I said the same thing about Boqvist.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
So some pretty heavy rumours that the NHL will return with 24 team playoff...this means Chicago Blackhawk playoff hockey! That said, I don't feel Chicago will be picking at #9, probably later...darr I say #31!

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Cowch

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No way in hell Raymond makes it anywhere close to 9...but I said the same thing about Boqvist.
Boqvist had concussion concerns and Arizona was dumb that year.

Not sure what could cause Raymond to fall. Perhaps a run on defenders like Sanderson or Ghule...maybe Raymond's production being underwhelming at surface level. It's not likely but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Boqvist had concussion concerns and Arizona was dumb that year.

Not sure what could cause Raymond to fall. Perhaps a run on defenders like Sanderson or Ghule...maybe Raymond's production being underwhelming at surface level. It's not likely but I wouldn't rule it out either.
If Raymond is on the board at 9 and Bowman isn't making the call to Bettman within 30 seconds....That would be a no-brainer if there ever was one. Raymond reminds me of Panarin and Marner.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Raymond has a better chance of going top 5 than being available at #9. I think there is a better chance of Perfetti being there. Definitely think there is a good chance a 2nd dman sneaks into the top 8.

Lundell would be a disappointment for me. Doesn't sound like he has the upside I want with the #9 pick plus the Hawks don't have a pressing need for a defensive #2C. Lundell would be a great fit for New Jersey.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Raymond has a better chance of going top 5 than being available at #9. I think there is a better chance of Perfetti being there. Definitely think there is a good chance a 2nd dman sneaks into the top 8.

Lundell would be a disappointment for me. Doesn't sound like he has the upside I want with the #9 pick plus the Hawks don't have a pressing need for a defensive #2C. Lundell would be a great fit for New Jersey.
Agree on Raymond going top 5.

They don't have a pressing need for a defensive 2C, but they do have a pressing need for defensive forwards.
Toews
Saad
Dach

and sometimes Kubalik, Caggiula and Nylander. DeBrincat isn't bad with gap control but can get pushed around physically. Strome has the opposite problem and refuses to use his frame.

The biggest issue with the Hawks isn't the lack of scoring, but the lack of the ability of the forwards to defend.

I really wish Hossa wasn't under contract with the Coyotes...it would be awesome if he could work with Nylander. I see a ton of potential in his defensive game. It's really easy to see why the Hawks traded for Nylander...there's a lot to dream on, but at some point he has to put it all together.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
71.Jack Finley (C) WHL
77.Tyler Tullio (C) OHL

You have typo regarding Sedoff
Christoffer Sedoff is not played HIFK's SM liiga team or HIFK's U20 team season 2019-2020.
Sedoff played this season ( 2019-2020 ) WHL's Red Deer Rebels.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Agree on Raymond going top 5.

They don't have a pressing need for a defensive 2C, but they do have a pressing need for defensive forwards.
Toews
Saad
Dach

and sometimes Kubalik, Caggiula and Nylander. DeBrincat isn't bad with gap control but can get pushed around physically. Strome has the opposite problem and refuses to use his frame.

The biggest issue with the Hawks isn't the lack of scoring, but the lack of the ability of the forwards to defend.

I really wish Hossa wasn't under contract with the Coyotes...it would be awesome if he could work with Nylander. I see a ton of potential in his defensive game. It's really easy to see why the Hawks traded for Nylander...there's a lot to dream on, but at some point he has to put it all together.

Good post. Hopefully, someone drops (really, really doubt it'll be Raymond). If not, Lundell could certainly be our pick. No, he's not a sexy pick (i.e., big point producer), but, as you point out, we need stronger D from our forward corps, full stop.

If Kelley/Bowman aren't sold on Lundell, I expect them to try to trade down or to simply take their preferred kid (most likely scenario).

Reactions: jls24

giza

Jul 19, 2011
If he wasn't Russian, I wouldn't hesitate to draft this goalie at #9 if I were the Hawks. However, we've had some pretty grim fortunes with Russian players. Igor Kravchuk is the only one I remember doing fairly well here......of course, my memory ain't what it used to be.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If he wasn't Russian, I wouldn't hesitate to draft this goalie at #9 if I were the Hawks. However, we've had some pretty grim fortunes with Russian players. Igor Kravchuk is the only one I remember doing fairly well here......of course, my memory ain't what it used to be.

Uh... Panarin... (Anisimov wasn't bad either).

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I'm hoping for both Pittsburgh and Calgary to lose in the qualifying round...that way our 2nd(pit) from Vegas becomes a a top 46 pick and our 3rd from Calgary becomes as top 77 pick...as for the 1st overall...it'd be amazing if it was Chicago winning it but I'd rather see them beat Edmonton then not but best case scenario...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don’t know why anyone would want to see the Hawks win and blow a 12.5% chance at an incredible talent who would fit absolutely perfect with our new franchise C.

Even if they do beat Edmonton they’re going to get squashed by someone else down the line. They’re not even close to a legit contender.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don’t know why anyone would want to see the Hawks win and blow a 12.5% chance at an incredible talent who would fit absolutely perfect with our new franchise C.

Even if they do beat Edmonton they’re going to get squashed by someone else down the line. They’re not even close to a legit contender.
It's all about keeping a winning culture in Chicago and instilling that in our young core.

Look at a team like the Arizona Coyotes. Lots of young players, but they're losers and that losing mentality continues to perpetuate. To add even more fuel to the fire, they've got a nerd for a GM that doesn't inspire confidence.

Reactions: d rake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad