News Article: THN: Calder Twins at #3 & 4

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/calder-trophy-watch-colorados-mackinnon-stays-on-top/

THN has Scheifele and Trouba ranked #3 and #4. Last ranking on the 10th of Jan had them at #8 and not ranked respectively.

3. Mark Scheifele, Winnipeg Jets
The Jets have been much better under new coach Paul Maurice, especially Scheifele. The freshman had five points during Winnipeg`s recent four-game win streak and now sits fourth in rookie scoring with 28 overall.
4. Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets
The leader in average ice time among rookies, Trouba is playing 21:29 per night and also logging big minutes on the penalty kill. He has four points in his past four games, while also seeing more than his already-impressive average ice time under coach Maurice.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
3. Mark Scheifele, Winnipeg Jets
The Jets have been much better under new coach Paul Maurice, especially Scheifele

That's not even true as they say it :laugh:

Anyway, IMO Scheif and Trouba deserve top 5 spots in Calder rankings. If they continue to play like they did over the last 10 games, one of them will win it, IMO.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I know entering the season if you could have told me this is where we would be going into Feb as far as our rookies developing I would have had to pinch myself.

Thrilled is an understatement!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I know entering the season if you could have told me this is where we would be going into Feb as far as our rookies developing I would have had to pinch myself.

Thrilled is an understatement!

Definitely contributing at a higher level than I think TNSE thought they would at this point too, ps.

I fully believe once Trouba proved he could play 20+ mins/gm, and used in all situations, he would allow the Jets to move Buff. Well that's likely now. I think TNSE thought it would be a yr from now.

Ditto with Scheifele and Olli.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'd put Maatta much higher on that list. He's prob right there with MacKinnon. He does not look like a rookie at all.

Last edited:

nic16

Jan 7, 2014
Loads of good Calder candidates. Tough year to have a ROTY bonus on your contract.

MacK has been the most consistent, Scheif is having a very good 2nd half, and Trouba has been a beast. And guys like Barkov, Matta, Lindholm, and Jones are getting a lot minutes and for the most part looking like they already have a couple of years under their belts.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As exciting as it is to see Scheifele and Trouba doing so well, it will be interesting to see how Lowry, Morrissey, Comrie, Petan and Hellebuyck develop. If they can become good roster players it will make Cheveldayoff look like a strong GM amongst his peers and get this team excited. Winnipeg Jets 1.0 are notorious for rotten draft choices. For every 1 Teemu Selanne there are 5 players who never developed.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd put Maatta much higher on that list. He's prob right there with MacKinnon. He does not look like a rookie at all.

Yeah ive watched alot of Pens games this year and Maatta has so much poise with the puck and his hockey IQ is outstanding, he most definitely doesnt look like a rookie.

PUMP YOUR OWN TIRES POST WARNING

As a true blue fan of Zach Yuen :)help:) I would like to mention that when I watched Olli Maatta in the memorial cup 2 years ago especially in the final I remember saying how good he looked and how great he was and a few smarter posters (with prospects) mentioned he had limited offensive upside.

I loved Maatta then and I love him now. I still don't think he has Trouba type pedigree but he is a special young man. Hampus Lindholm looks REALLY slick as well!

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
PUMP YOUR OWN TIRES POST WARNING

As a true blue fan of Zach Yuen :)help:) I would like to mention that when I watched Olli Maatta in the memorial cup 2 years ago especially in the final I remember saying how good he looked and how great he was and a few smarter posters (with prospects) mentioned he had limited offensive upside.

I loved Maatta then and I love him now. I still don't think he has Trouba type pedigree but he is a special young man. Hampus Lindholm looks REALLY slick as well!

Not familiar with Lindholm but Troubs is another one that comes across as having a lot of poise and offensive prowess. Troubs is also in a tougher position than Maatta is IMO. I love Winnipeg but Pittsburgh Has more talent all around which probably makes it easier on maatta. Troubs (and Scheif for that matter) are playing on a less talented team and are achieving as much (if not more than) the other rookies in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad