Thisisacodee 2-Round Mock (3/12)

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Draft order reflects where I believe the teams will end up at the end of the season, team needs are taken into consideration for this mock.

1. Edmonton - Adam Larsson - Oilers, already having a very deep and talented group of forward prospects, decide to take the best player available.
2. Ottawa - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Ottawa takes the best offensive player in the draft, and Ottawa gets a new franchise player.
3. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog - With Duchene, O'Reilly, and Hishon looking like a strong group of centers, the Avs take the blue chip winger instead.
4. Florida - Sean Couturier - Perfect guy to fall to the Panthers - real potential to be a great 2-way player
5. NY Islanders - Dougie Hamilton - Islanders lose their way out of the top four but grab the best north american defensive prospect. Too many question marks around Murphy, so they grab Hamilton instead.
6. Atlanta - Jonathan Huberdeau - Thrashers quickly grab up the best player available.
7. Columbus - Ryan Strome - Not liking the center depth on the Blue Jackets. Strome and Johansen terrify the rest of the central division with a 1-2 punch.
8. New Jersey - Ryan Murphy - Devils wanted a PMD so they draft Murphy, hoping they can turn his raw talent into the next Scott Niedermayer.
9. St. Louis - Brandon Saad - A talented left winger who'll fit on the Blues perfectly.
10. Boston (from Toronto) - Duncan Siemens - They were hoping for another top 2 player like Tyler Seguin, but Siemens makes a fine consolation prize.
11. Rangers - Tyler Biggs - Just like last year, I don't believe they make the playoffs. Biggs is a great pick at this position though.
12. Ottawa (from Nashville) - Jamie Oleksiak - A combination of RNH and the 6'7 Oleksiak has Sens fans dancing in the streets of Ottawa.
13. Minnesota - Joel Armia - Lot of great forwards still available, so Minnesota goes with BPA
14. Phoenix - Matt Puempel - Tons of defenseman in the system, so the Coyotes (NOT the Winnipeg Jets) take scorer Puempel.
15. Carolina - Mika Zibanejad - Big european center is the pick for Carolina.
16. Buffalo - Nathan Beaulieu - When there's a defenseman with #1 potential around at #16, you definitely have to consider him
17. Anaheim - Ty Rattie - Sadly Selanne can't last forever but the Ducks hope Rattie can fufill the top-6 RW he leaves behind.
18. Montreal - Sven Bartschi - Bit of a freefall for Bartschi, but Habs don't pass on his talent.
19. Dallas - Mark McNeill - Not seeing a lot of great center depth in Dallas, especially if Richards walks, but McNeill is a great pick this low.
20. Calgary - Nicklas Jensen - Forward is a more immediate need over defense, so the Flames go with Jensen.
21. Edmonton (from LA) - Mark Scheifele - After taking Larsson first, the Oilers are determined to get the best forward available at 21, which in this case is Scheifele.
22. Tampa Bay - Scott Mayfield - Lightning aren't thrilled with any forwards so they opt for a defenseman, in this case Mayfield.
23. Chicago - Victor Rask - I know the hip thing is to say Rask will fall to the 2nd, but I don't think a team in the late first will pass on his talent.
24. Pittsburgh - Tomas Jurco - After Beau Bennett, Pittsburgh's RW depth is a weakness. Jurco changes that.
25. Toronto (from Boston) - David Musil - With another pick coming up soon and lots of forwards still on the board, Toronto takes the best defenseman available here.
26. San Jose - Daniel Catenacci - Sharks take the center with the best offensive potential at this point.
27. Detroit - Dmitri Jaskin - And the other 29 GMs silently rage as Detroit grabs another potential european superstar.
28. Washington - Boone Jenner - Caps see him as the best player left on the board and grab him.
29. Toronto (from Philly) - Seth Ambroz - Now the Leafs can grab a big talented forward who immediately becomes one of the top prospects on hfboards.
30. Vancouver - Jonas Brodin - No glaring needs at the moment, but Vancouver simply likes Brodin's potential.
31. Edmonton - Lucas Lessio
32. Ottawa - Rocco Grimaldi
33. Colorado - John Gibson
34. Florida - Shane Prince
35. Islanders - Alex Khokhlachev
36. Chicago (from Atlanta) - Joe Morrow
37. Columbus - Rickard Rakell
38. Nashville (from New Jersey) - J.T. Miller
39. St. Louis - Zach Phillips
40. Toronto - Vladislav Namestnikov
41. Rangers - Myles Bell
42. Nashville - Nicholas Shore
43. Boston (from Minnesota) - Shane McColgan
44. Phoenix - Colin Jacobs
45. Carolina - Adam Clendening
46. St. Louis (from Buffalo) - Oscar Klefbom
47. Anaheim - Michael St. Croix
48. Florida (via Montreal) - Chris Gibson
49. Dallas - Matthew Nieto
50. Islanders (via Montreal) - Phillip Danault
51. Chicago (from Calgary) - Mario Lucia
52. Los Angeles - Stefan Noesen
53. Tampa Bay - Miikka Salomaki
54. Ottawa (from Chicago) - Philippe Hudon
55. Pittsburgh - Tyler Wotherspoon
56. Ottawa (from Boston) - Maxim Shalunov
57. San Jose - Reece Scarlett
58. Detroit - Xavier Ouellet
59. Rangers (from Washington) - Max Friberg
60. Phoenix (from Philly) - Tobias Rieder
61. Vancouver - Brett Ritchie

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Dont know much about Scheifele.. Would he be considered someone who can play with Hall and Eberle?

I'm also not satisfied with Lessio in the 2nd. I'd much rather we took Zack Phillips at 31.

EDIT - I wouldn't even mind Kokhlachev in the 2nd.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Did Edm trade with Van for the 61 pick?

Because of Montreal's compensatory selection in the 2nd, everyone below that moves down a spot. Edmonton owns the 62nd pick.

And I like Scheifele to the Oilers after taking Larsson first. Big (6'3, 200lbs) strong center who can compliment Eberle's offensive talent. Put Hall-Scheifele and MPS-Eberle on separate lines and the Oilers top-6 looks great heading forward.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Because of Montreal's compensatory selection in the 2nd, everyone below that moves down a spot. Edmonton owns the 62nd pick.

And I like Scheifele to the Oilers after taking Larsson first. Big (6'3, 200lbs) strong center who can compliment Eberle's offensive talent. Put Hall-Scheifele and MPS-Eberle on separate lines and the Oilers top-6 looks great heading forward.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I also think the Isles will play their way out of a top 4 pick. Isles have a tough pick at 5. I think Murphy is in play. Should be interesting to see who they pick out of Hamilton, Murphy, Strome and Huberdeau. If the Isles are picking five I could see Snow trading down.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I also think the Isles will play their way out of a top 4 pick. Isles have a tough pick at 5. I think Murphy is in play. Should be interesting to see who they pick out of Hamilton, Murphy, Strome and Huberdeau. If the Isles are picking five I could see Snow trading down.

Yeah, I've had my heart set on one of the big 4 all year, but with the confidence being gained by the team on this recent win streak, I'm getting more comfortable with "the next 4" you mentioned. In the end I think Hamilton is the best bet for the Isles because:

1. Murphy has too many question marks defensively, Hamilton is lauded for both his offensive and defensive skills.
2. Lots of talented forwards will be available at 35 (or wherever they pick in the second) - I grabbed Alex Khokhlachev in this mock but the Oilers poster said they'd be likely to grab Khokhlachev over Lessio... my point is that if Garth doesn't feel like trading up or down, he can simply wait and see which guys fall.

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
The Sens get a second rounder from Chicago (its conditional, Chicago chooses which of the three to give the Sens) from the Campoli trade which means Ottawa also picks at #54.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Ottawa (nashville) 1st - i really dont see them taking another top dman. Our last 3 first rounders are dmen. As much as olesniak and his size is intriguing, i think any of the next 3 guys is a better bet.

Carolina 1st - I dont buy carolina picking a euro in the 1st round. Havnt done it since 2001 and it was a bust. 1/13 1sts in carolina has been a euro, and only 2 other 1sts have busted for carolina (still waiting on paradis, we'll see). Carolina's had a ton of success drafting out of the WHL and OHL though, and i expect them to look that way again this year.

Ottawa 2nd - Ottawa historically hasnt done the small skilled player thing. Neither has this scouting staff. Sure, there could be a new GM in place, but i just dont see the sens taking grimaldi. I know the payoff is huge, but leave that risk to another team please.

I'm surprised that any goalie goes that high, but drafting goalies early is often based on need, so the fact that colorado is doing it makes it acceptable.

Zakhwho? Okay, it's detroit, and CSS did have him pretty high on the midterm euro-list. Makes sense i guess.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
Great mock... logical selections to each team..... and as an Islander fan, it was nice to see someone finally do a mock according to where they think the final standings will land instead of current standings. I know the Islanders are dropping out of my top 4 and it's breaking my heart looking at all the mocks coming out giving us any of Couturier, RNH, Landeskog or Larsson.... Like u, i had my heart set on one of the top 4 since that long losing streak, and its taking some getting used to accepting that we are picking at 5 or 6....

I want Hamilton or Strome... leading towards Strome because he has the potential to be our most dynamic player outside of Tavares..... But I do feel that Hamilton is the type of player this team lacks and desperately needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad