Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This years U17s should be a good one for Canadian and USA Teams:

Quebec with:

Ben Breault
Alex Beiga
Michael Beiga (should be there as an underager)
Jonathan Bernier
Jason Legault
Angelo Espostio (Another underager, possibly best player for age group in NA)
Alex Lamontagne
P-J Corsi
P-A Poulin
Yannick Riendeau
Cesar

Ontario:

John Hughes
Ryan McDonough
Jordan Staal
Matt Corrente
Justin Azevedo
Ryan McInerney
Kody Musselman
John DeGray
Corey McGillis
Aaron Snow
Aaron Alphonso
Matthew Halischuk
K. J. Ramolla

Western Player that should highlight Western, Manitoba and Pacific:

Jonathan Toews
Ryan Depape
Ben Maxwell
Mike Cann
Zach Hamill
Keegan Dansereau
Tyler Swyston
Karl Alznar
Sasha Golin
Sam Houston
Michael Reich
Victor Bartley
Trevor Glass
Ryan Kerr (underager)

Atlantic:

James Sheppard
Ryan Hillier
Matt Eagles
Brad Marchand
Graham Bona

USA:

Chad Morin
Peter Mueller
Blake Geoffrion
Luke Popko
Phil Kessel
Joe Palmer
Kyle Okposo
Pat Kane
Tysen Dowzak
Peter Rathchuk
Chris Atkinson
Toney Mosey
many more

Last edited:

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Good to see two Buffalo, NY kids on the US squad in Patrick Kane and Mike Ratchuk. I wonder if Brett Bennet is on the team.

Has anyone seen Jordan Staal play? I'm hearing that he's better than his brother Eric at the same age. Also who looks to be the best player in this tourny?

carsonbuddy

Jan 15, 2003
AB
Visit site
wh would team pacific take an underage player when they are heavy in talented 16 year olds. Trevor Glass was not playing in the under 17 cmp due to injury and we will see if the philosphoy of the development program looks at the direct camps to pull players out. Still I think that the lists are good and it will be another great year of hockey for post Christmas blues

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Slangston_Hughes said:
Good to see two Buffalo, NY kids on the US squad in Patrick Kane and Mike Ratchuk. I wonder if Brett Bennet is on the team.

The NTDP U17 team will participate in this tournament so both Ratchuk and Bennet should be there. However, Kane is not on the team at this point in time (and as far as I know, neither is Tony Mosey).

Kessel is an '87 so he won't be eligible.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
cagney said:
The NTDP U17 team will participate in this tournament so both Ratchuk and Bennet should be there. However, Kane is not on the team at this point in time (and as far as I know, neither is Tony Mosey).

Kessel is an '87 so he won't be eligible.

I put Kessel there by accident oops. He will be with the U18 team anyway. I still think you will see Kane and Mosey on the team though.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Russian phenome Alexandre Vasyunov should be one of the main players at the camp.

My prediction for the 5 top forwards at the tournament are:

1. Alexandre Vasyunov
2. John Hughes
3. Ben Breault
4. Jonathan Toews
5. Blake Geoffrion

I don't know too much of the Czechs yet or even if they will be there as they were not at the U17s last year.

Other players that will get alot of attention are:

1. James Sheppard
2. Angelo Esposito (if there)
3. Michael Beiga (if there)
4. Zach Hamill
5. Kyle Okposo

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
I hear Jordan Staal isnt anything special and was prolly worth a late first round, early second round pick but was only picked so high due to his last name. This came from a realiable source btw, but I'm intrested to see how good he actually is. McDonough is a very nice player from what I saw at the mini-camp in Sudbury a couple months back, looks to be a sniper and is not afraid of anything despite his small size, maybe hes grown a bit since then...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
moosefan said:
I still think you will see Kane and Mosey on the team though.

Kane doesn't seem to be a USA Hockey favorite (he wasn't even invited to the NTDP try-out camp back in March). Mosey might still make the NTDP (or he may have already made it and I just haven't heard about it).

From your list, the most likely player to be added to the team for the tournament is Kyle Okposo. He's staying at S-SMs but would be a slam dunk for the NTDP if he wanted to go. I've heard they may look outside the program for a player or two to participate in international tournaments and he would be at the top of the list.

Here's the expected roster as of the last I heard...

Goalies: Joe Palmer, Brett Bennett. Defense: Erik Johnson, Trent Palm, Mike Ratchuk, Chris Summers, Jamie McBain, Brian Strait, Kevin Montgomery, Bobby Sanguinetti. Forwards: Billy Sweatt, Blake Geoffrion, Mike Carman, Ryan Flynn, Rhett Rakhshani, Steve Sperry, Chris Atkinson, Greg Squires, Jim O'Brien('89), and possibly Luke Popko.

They could easliy add Mueller and Morin from the U18 team for the U17 tournament (although I've heard a rumor that Mueller has left the program).

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
moosefan said:
Quebec with:

Ben Breault
Alex Beiga
Jonathan Bernier
Jason Legault
Alex Lamontagne
P-J Corsi
P-A Poulin
Yannick Riendeau
Cesar

Ontario:

John Hughes
Ryan McDonough
Jordan Staal
Matt Corrente
Justin Azevedo
Ryan McInerney
Kody Musselman
John DeGray
Corey McGillis
Aaron Snow
Aaron Alphonso
Matthew Halischuk
K. J. Ramolla

Jonathan Toews
Ryan Depape
Ben Maxwell
Mike Cann
Zach Hamill
Keegan Dansereau
Tyler Swyston
Karl Alznar
Sasha Golin
Sam Houston
Michael Reich
Victor Bartley
Trevor Glass
Ryan Kerr (underager)

Atlantic:

James Sheppard
Ryan Hillier
Matt Eagles
Brad Marchand
Graham Bona

USA:

Chad Morin
Peter Mueller
Blake Geoffrion
Luke Popko
Phil Kessel
Joe Palmer
Kyle Okposo
Pat Kane
Tysen Dowzak
Peter Rathchuk
Chris Atkinson
Toney Mosey
many more

Team Pacific(Alberta and British Columbia) do not name underage players to the team. It is not fair to the other players when only 11 players from each province are selected to represent the Pacific region of Canada. For Quebec, Ontario, etc. it is a different story as one province must fill an entire team. Now, if Crosby had of come from BC or Alberta I'm sure an exception would've been made.

Are Breault and Hughes actually better than Esposito?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
Kane doesn't seem to be a USA Hockey favorite (he wasn't even invited to the NTDP try-out camp back in March). Mosey might still make the NTDP (or he may have already made it and I just haven't heard about it).

From your list, the most likely player to be added to the team for the tournament is Kyle Okposo. He's staying at S-SMs but would be a slam dunk for the NTDP if he wanted to go. I've heard they may look outside the program for a player or two to participate in international tournaments and he would be at the top of the list.

Here's the expected roster as of the last I heard...

Goalies: Joe Palmer, Brett Bennett. Defense: Erik Johnson, Trent Palm, Mike Ratchuk, Chris Summers, Jamie McBain, Brian Strait, Kevin Montgomery, Bobby Sanguinetti. Forwards: Billy Sweatt, Blake Geoffrion, Mike Carman, Ryan Flynn, Rhett Rakhshani, Steve Sperry, Chris Atkinson, Greg Squires, Jim O'Brien('89), and possibly Luke Popko.

They could easliy add Mueller and Morin from the U18 team for the U17 tournament (although I've heard a rumor that Mueller has left the program).

Mueller and Morin played last year. More than likely will not be added for the upcoming tourney. USA likes to have one or two underage players every year, whether it's the U17, U18, etc.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
HabLover said:
Mueller and Morin played last year. More than likely will not be added for the upcoming tourney. USA likes to have one or two underage players every year, whether it's the U17, U18, etc.

I disagree. If Mueller and Morin are in the program, they will play at the U17 World Challenge. The U18 team has no games scheduled at the same time so there are no conflicts. Many of the underagers who have played with the U17 team the year before leave the program (ie. O'Sullivan, Vernarsky etc.) but the last underager who stayed with the program and played the whole year with the U18 team, Adam Pineault, was added to the U17 team for thier big tournament in Ann Arbor (the NTDP held thier own tournament that year as the Canada Winter Games were being held).

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
HabLover said:
Team Pacific(Alberta and British Columbia) do not name underage players to the team. It is not fair to the other players when only 11 players from each province are selected to represent the Pacific region of Canada. For Quebec, Ontario, etc. it is a different story as one province must fill an entire team. Now, if Crosby had of come from BC or Alberta I'm sure an exception would've been made.

Are Breault and Hughes actually better than Esposito?

no they are not better, but being a underager you normally don't get alot of ice so I wouldn;t expect them to be among the top in the tournament when Esposito and Biega are probably better than most of the players there though.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
moosefan said:
Quebec with:

Ben Breault
Alex Beiga
Jonathan Bernier
Jason Legault
Alex Lamontagne
P-J Corsi
P-A Poulin
Yannick Riendeau
Cesar

Ontario:

John Hughes
Ryan McDonough
Jordan Staal
Matt Corrente
Justin Azevedo
Ryan McInerney
Kody Musselman
John DeGray
Corey McGillis
Aaron Snow
Aaron Alphonso
Matthew Halischuk
K. J. Ramolla

Jonathan Toews
Ryan Depape
Ben Maxwell
Mike Cann
Zach Hamill
Keegan Dansereau
Tyler Swyston
Karl Alznar
Sasha Golin
Sam Houston
Michael Reich
Victor Bartley
Trevor Glass
Ryan Kerr (underager)

Atlantic:

James Sheppard
Ryan Hillier
Matt Eagles
Brad Marchand
Graham Bona

USA:

Chad Morin
Peter Mueller
Blake Geoffrion
Luke Popko
Phil Kessel
Joe Palmer
Kyle Okposo
Pat Kane
Tysen Dowzak
Peter Rathchuk
Chris Atkinson
Toney Mosey
many more

Can't speak for the other provinces, but there are a lot of players on your Team Ontario List who won't make the team. Kody Musselman doesn't have enough skill to play on this team. Aaron Snow, Aaron Alphonso and Matt Halischuk are good players, but not good enough IMO to make Team Ontario. KJ Ramolla wasn't even invited to the final selection camp in August so he definitely won't be on the team.

These are some players I think have a very good shot at making the team:

Forwards:
Myles Applebaum
John Armstrong
Matt Beleskey
Christian Cundari
Dustin Jeffery
Matt Kang
Peter Leblanc
Matt Lyall
Matt Price
Harrison Reed
Jordan Staal

Dmen:
Michael Ball
John Degray
James Delory
Ben Shutron
Steven Ferry
Nathan Martine
Jonathan Sciacca

Goaltenders:
Ryan Daniels
Parker Van Buskirk
Mark Packwood

The other Ontario players you listed are pretty much locks to make the team. Overall, a much deeper and more talented age group than the Ontario 87's, which I was surprised won the World Hockey Challenge.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
cdnhky1 said:
Can't speak for the other provinces, but there are a lot of players on your Team Ontario List who won't make the team. Kody Musselman doesn't have enough skill to play on this team. Aaron Snow, Aaron Alphonso and Matt Halischuk are good players, but not good enough IMO to make Team Ontario. KJ Ramolla wasn't even invited to the final selection camp in August so he definitely won't be on the team.

These are some players I think have a very good shot at making the team:

Forwards:
Myles Applebaum
John Armstrong
Matt Beleskey
Christian Cundari
Dustin Jeffery
Matt Kang
Peter Leblanc
Matt Lyall
Matt Price
Harrison Reed
Jordan Staal

Dmen:
Michael Ball
John Degray
James Delory
Ben Shutron
Steven Ferry
Nathan Martine
Jonathan Sciacca

Goaltenders:
Ryan Daniels
Parker Van Buskirk
Mark Packwood

The other Ontario players you listed are pretty much locks to make the team. Overall, a much deeper and more talented age group than the Ontario 87's, which I was surprised won the World Hockey Challenge.

What about ryan McDonough? I thought he'd be a shoe in.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
moosefan said:
Quebec with:

Ben Breault
Alex Beiga
Jonathan Bernier
Jason Legault
Alex Lamontagne
P-J Corsi
P-A Poulin
Yannick Riendeau
Cesar

Ontario:

John Hughes
Ryan McDonough
Jordan Staal
Matt Corrente
Justin Azevedo
Ryan McInerney
Kody Musselman
John DeGray
Corey McGillis
Aaron Snow
Aaron Alphonso
Matthew Halischuk
K. J. Ramolla

Jonathan Toews
Ryan Depape
Ben Maxwell
Mike Cann
Zach Hamill
Keegan Dansereau
Tyler Swyston
Karl Alznar
Sasha Golin
Sam Houston
Michael Reich
Victor Bartley
Trevor Glass
Ryan Kerr (underager)

Atlantic:

James Sheppard
Ryan Hillier
Matt Eagles
Brad Marchand
Graham Bona

USA:

Chad Morin
Peter Mueller
Blake Geoffrion
Luke Popko
Phil Kessel
Joe Palmer
Kyle Okposo
Pat Kane
Tysen Dowzak
Peter Rathchuk
Chris Atkinson
Toney Mosey
many more

I don't see how the 1988 born players are better than the 1987 born year. 1987 is so deep and further on, the 1985's were/are pretty damn good themselves. How can the 88's rival guys like Crosby(even though he didn't play), Brule, Cogliano, Bradford, Latendresse, Levasseur, Bertram, Durand, Little, etc. What guys match from the '88 year to these guys??

Btw, what happened with the 85's at the U17 tournament, I guess it would have been in like, 2002?? Or was it a Canada Games year?

carsonbuddy

Jan 15, 2003
AB
Visit site
HabLover said:
I don't see how the 1988 born players are better than the 1987 born year. 1987 is so deep and further on, the 1985's were/are pretty damn good themselves. How can the 88's rival guys like Crosby(even though he didn't play), Brule, Cogliano, Bradford, Latendresse, Levasseur, Bertram, Durand, Little, etc. What guys match from the '88 year to these guys??

Btw, what happened with the 85's at the U17 tournament, I guess it would have been in like, 2002?? Or was it a Canada Games year?

This u17 team is about '88s or am missing something in your repsonse to the list

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
carsonbuddy said:
This u17 team is about '88s or am missing something in your repsonse to the list

No, it's just that Moosefan had stated with his list of 1988's that this could be a very good year for the tourney and another poster had stated that the Ontario team will be much better than the 1987 born team that won last years tourney.

I am just wondering if the 88's as a whole are better than the 87's?? I mean the 87's have guys like Crosby, Brule, Bertram, Latendresse, etc.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Jonathan Toews is a dominant young player. Remember his name if you haven't heard of him yet.

carsonbuddy

Jan 15, 2003
AB
Visit site
Hard to compare since the 87's have played where they received some recognition. There are very strong western players that will emerge right from the start of the next season. Toews, Hamill, Ressce, Glass, Bosecke, Swystun, Kessler, Rhakasiani, Mueller and they may be part of a growing number of 88's that will change the perspective during the next year. As for a single phoem I would agree that Crosby:bow: overshadow's most players in the 88 year. Time is a great equalizer so we may have a late bloomer in the 88 crowd.

Koivu 11

Jul 23, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Hey I don't know why you guys are talking about the Beiga's so much I played agianst them both last season in my high school league and while they were good niether of them stoodout with any attribute. They weren't scoring left and right and are not physical players. While Esposito carried his team (as much as he could) and is big,fast, and can fire the puck. He is very good and younger than most of his competition if I recall. What position is he playing now because he started some games at forward and some at defense against us.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Overall, I think the 87' age group in Canada is deeper and more talented than the 88' age group of Canadians. It is tough to compete with a group of elite offensive players that includes Crosby, Brule, Bertram, Latendresse, Cogliano and Little.

As far as the 87' Ontario age group is concerned, the only two elite forwards IMO are Cogliano and Little. After that, there is a big drop. There are no 87' Ontario goaltenders who will figure into the plans of Canadian hockey anytime soon. The strength of the 87' Ontario age group is on the blueline with players like McNeil, Staal, Parent, Lamb and Wilson.

As far as the 88' Ontario age group is concered, I don't think there is a forward who is as good as either Cogliano or Little. However, there is a glut of players who are very good and overall the depth at the forward position in Ontario is much greater than the 87' age group. Players like Hughes, Staal, McInerney, McDonough, Azevedo, Armstrong, Leblanc and Lyall are very solid players and much more offensively gifted than most of the 87' forwards from Ontario.

The "d" crop of 88's from Ontario is also very good and may even be better than the 87' group due to its depth. Matt Corrente is, in my opinion, the best of the Ontario dmen in either the 87' or 88' age group. John Degray and James Delory are both big, mobile dmen while Shutron, Ferry and Sciacca are excellent puck movers. Nathan Martine has good size, and while he lacks foot speed and mobility he may be the most intelligent of the 88' dmen in Ontario.

As far as the goaltending position is concerned, Ryan Daniels, Parker Van Buskirk, Mark Packwood and Brian Pitton are all better than Jhase Sniderman and Kyle Gajewski, who played for the Ontario 87's.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
cdnhky1 said:
Overall, I think the 87' age group in Canada is deeper and more talented than the 88' age group of Canadians. It is tough to compete with a group of elite offensive players that includes Crosby, Brule, Bertram, Latendresse, Cogliano and Little.

As far as the 87' Ontario age group is concerned, the only two elite forwards IMO are Cogliano and Little. After that, there is a big drop. There are no 87' Ontario goaltenders who will figure into the plans of Canadian hockey anytime soon. The strength of the 87' Ontario age group is on the blueline with players like McNeil, Staal, Parent, Lamb and Wilson.

As far as the 88' Ontario age group is concered, I don't think there is a forward who is as good as either Cogliano or Little. However, there is a glut of players who are very good and overall the depth at the forward position in Ontario is much greater than the 87' age group. Players like Hughes, Staal, McInerney, McDonough, Azevedo, Armstrong, Leblanc and Lyall are very solid players and much more offensively gifted than most of the 87' forwards from Ontario.

The "d" crop of 88's from Ontario is also very good and may even be better than the 87' group due to its depth. Matt Corrente is, in my opinion, the best of the Ontario dmen in either the 87' or 88' age group. John Degray and James Delory are both big, mobile dmen while Shutron, Ferry and Sciacca are excellent puck movers. Nathan Martine has good size, and while he lacks foot speed and mobility he may be the most intelligent of the 88' dmen in Ontario.

As far as the goaltending position is concerned, Ryan Daniels, Parker Van Buskirk, Mark Packwood and Brian Pitton are all better than Jhase Sniderman and Kyle Gajewski, who played for the Ontario 87's.

I agree. Quebec and the Maritimes anyway. 1987 blows 1988 away.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Koivu 11 said:
Hey I don't know why you guys are talking about the Beiga's so much I played agianst them both last season in my high school league and while they were good niether of them stoodout with any attribute. They weren't scoring left and right and are not physical players. While Esposito carried his team (as much as he could) and is big,fast, and can fire the puck. He is very good and younger than most of his competition if I recall. What position is he playing now because he started some games at forward and some at defense against us.

How could they play High School?? Isnt there some sort of rule that Midget AAA players cant play High School as well???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->