This years line combination

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Why are people selling Grimaldi short? He was our best forward in the playoffs and our best Corsi-players in the regular season. Yeah, he wasn't great at finishing those plays but he certainly didn't play with offensively talented teammates either.

In my mind, he's the front-runner for the #3LW spot and now gets to be on a line that should be more of a offensive line than in the years past.
“Why are people selling Grimaldi short?”
Bwahaaa! I know, I know. I’ll go quietly.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
People sell Grimaldi short because they view his playoff performance as the norm as opposed to what he contributed in the regular season. Which body of work would you rely on to get a good read on a player?

I want playoff warriors but his numbers in the regular season do not excite me about his play. I love a good underdog story and I hope he proves me wrong.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well of course the Preds aren’t required to do anything. But the point I was going for was he’s a highly regarded draft pick. He’s had a good KHL year and supposedly learned a lot with the requisite Milwaukee year. He tore it up in rookie camp after diet and skating school. Who knows what he’s looked like in camp; only the coaches. I just think it’s time to see what he can do with some good NHL linemates on a regular shift and some quality PP time. Earning his spot is up to him and I don’t feel he’s messed up a chance at it yet. I guess we’ll see soon.

Well I've watched all the pre-season games and haven't been that impressed. If he earns his spot great, but we have enough depth that if he doesn't he shouldn't be handed a spot just because of his draft position and a KHL season that hasn't translated over here at all.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
People sell Grimaldi short because they view his playoff performance as the norm as opposed to what he contributed in the regular season. Which body of work would you rely on to get a good read on a player?

I want playoff warriors but his numbers in the regular season do not excite me about his play. I love a good underdog story and I hope he proves me wrong.

Still he scored 13 points in 53 games last year on the 4th line. That’s nearly a 25p pace for a whole season.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Tolvanen is bound to get some games eventually but if he doesn't play at all in the coming season I wouldn't be too fond of that idea, bordering mishandling a prospect just to make him "pay his dues".

Young players actually need to play and adapt to become something they're currently not. Tolvanen hasn't really gotten the chance on the NHL level yet despite if it's his fault or not.
We have no spot for him because we're too stacked in the middle 6 on paper but not in actual production.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Now that they've cut Tolvanen and Pitlick, here's what I think the lines could look like on opening night:

Turris-Johansen-Arvidsson
Forsberg-Duchene-Granlund
Grimaldi-Sissons-Smith
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Watson

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Hamhuis-Weber

Rinne
Saros

Extras; Carr, Gaudreau, Santini

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Now that they've cut Tolvanen and Pitlick, here's what I think the lines could look like on opening night:

Grimaldi-Sissons-Smith
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Watson

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Hamhuis-Weber

Rinne
Saros

Honestly, could really get behind this. Would like to see Josi and Fabbro together, though and Ekholm & Ellis paired again.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Grimaldi-Sissons-Smith
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Watson

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Hamhuis-Weber

Rinne
Saros

Irwin waived? Not that I'm against it, mind you...

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

Grimaldi-Sissons-Smith
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Watson

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Hamhuis-Weber

Rinne
Saros

This is exactly what I have in my head, so no reason to type it out. Bonino was our 2C just a short time ago. Pretty wild to see the changes.

Jarnkrok seems like the logical choice for expansion draft.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I want to see Joey and Arvy together (love their chemistry), Forsberg and Granlund together and I DON'T want to see Josi and Ellis together. I'm going to be happy with the lineups if those three things happen, so the lineups above (outside 1st pair) look really good to me.

I agree Ekholm would make a near perfect pair for a young defenseman, but playing with Josi isn't bad either. AND we would see Ekholm and Ellis re-united. That probably isn't as good as we (or I) make it to be, but as a fan I want to see that happen.

If they play Turris t 3C to have three scoring lines then they should have more openings at LW during the season for Tolvanen for example.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

Grimaldi-Sissons-Smith
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Watson

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Hamhuis-Weber

Rinne
Saros

Good forward lineup. That top 6 is going to be dynamic.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Grimaldi-Sissons-Smith
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Watson

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Hamhuis-Weber

Rinne
Saros

I like it. However, I do think they'll keep Irwin up and send Gaudreau down.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Grimaldi-Sissons-Smith
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Watson

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Hamhuis-Weber

Rinne
Saros

So if you're a coach who do you try to match your shutdown line against? Johansen's line or Duchene's line?

I really like our top 9 on paper this year. Hell, I even like our 4th line, some years that would have been our 2nd line.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I hope the Preds eliminate the desire to call the top 2 lines #1 and #2. Never before has there been a situation where they have 2 lines with such potential.
Certainly can’t call Duchene a #2 center.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Grimaldi-Sissons-Smith
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Watson

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Hamhuis-Weber

Rinne
Saros

What's the thought process behind playing Turris in a top 6 wing spot? Are they trying to get him going in order to protect their investment in him? There is a lot of money and years invested in him and right now I don't think they could unload him without taking back a similar under performing player on a bad contract. I see the motivation in that sense to get him going. Otherwise, I see Smith as a damn near perfect complementary goal scoring winger and I wouldn't much understand playing him on the third line.

I hope the Preds eliminate the desire to call the top 2 lines #1 and #2. Never before has there been a situation where they have 2 lines with such potential.
Certainly can’t call Duchene a #2 center.

I'd argue 06-07 was just as good if not better, but I agree with what your basic point.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I think the thought process on Turris is, get him going and use him. He has a history as a productive top 6 player. If he can thrive in that role it makes the overall team depth that much better.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Conspiracy theory: first 20 games, they drive up the value of Turris and make him a trade asset. Tolvanen gets ready and they trade Turris for a need. Tolvanen to LW, Turris to say...NYR.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm probably jinxing things, but I bet Poile was assuming there would be some kind of injury by this point. It seems like the league as a whole has come out of this camp and preseason a little better off than usual (until Boeser anyway).

A healthy lineup is great though, and you never want to see guys hurt, but it would certainly be the easiest way to get Tolvanen and Pitlick into the lineup.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
After one preseason game with turris as a winger, I think it could work out

Turris - joey - rv
Forsberg - duchene - granlund

Could be two really good scoring lines. That raises the question of what about the bottom two lines.

Grimaldi sissons smith
Jarnkrok bones Watson

Or

Jarnkrok bones smith
Watson sissons Grimaldi

Or

Grimaldi bonino smith
Watson jarnkrok sissons

Several different looks

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
I like Grimaldi Sissons Smith as a third scoring line with Jarnkrok Bonino Watson as a shutdown line with skills.

I'd personally like that third line a little better with Pitlick or Tolvanen at LW and Grimaldi in the press box, but this is not a bad alternative.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So, any info for the 3rd and 4th lines
Well I'm not exactly sold on the idea of Jarnkrok-Turris-Grimaldi. Jarnkrok and Turris is a lot of soft all at once, and as hard as Grimaldi tries, he's still 5'6". If I had that line on the one hand, and then Sissons-Bonino-Watson on the other hand, I'd probably end up putting the latter line out there a lot more often. :dunno:

Keeping Sissons and Bonino as the centers, trying Turris on wing, and Smith on a 3rd line appeals to me more as a first try. Although maybe they already saw enough in pre-season to nix that - I didn't watch that experiment run, so maybe I'm just behind the curve. :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yep, don't like those linemates for Turris at all. He has to play with a driver who can score.

Forsberg - Duchene - Granlund
Jarnkrok - Johansen - Arvidsson
Grimaldi - Turris - Smith
Sissons - Bonino - Watson

?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad