This year's draft class early impressions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
I have heard tons about Crosby and as a hab fan i have been pleased about Price and Latendresse, i also heard that Kopitar and staal signed contracts already so they must be making very good impressions.

what about Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson, brule, setoguchi etc

i would really like to hear about Johnson and Ryan because those two guys have alot of talent and i wonder how their camps are going.

pooler99

Sep 28, 2002
Krynn
Visit site
shayne said:
I have heard tons about Crosby and as a hab fan i have been pleased about Price and Latendresse, i also heard that Kopitar and staal signed contracts already so they must be making very good impressions.

i would really like to hear about Johnson and Ryan because those two guys have alot of talent and i wonder how their camps are going.
From what i heard (it may not be 100% accurate) Ryan was so-so, Johnson is back to juniors (havn't go to camp), Setoguchi is doing well, no word on Brule

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Johnson's off to college you mean...

I don't think college prospects can go to NHL training camps unless they pay their own way. If they take the teams money to come, they can have their college eligibility taken away. So it seems they don't always go to camps until they're signed

pooler99

Sep 28, 2002
Krynn
Visit site
Levitate said:
Johnson's off to college you mean...

I don't think college prospects can go to NHL training camps unless they pay their own way. If they take the teams money to come, they can have their college eligibility taken away. So it seems they don't always go to camps until they're signed
That's what i meant

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Luc Bourdon has been extremely impressive in camp and according to make reports, is very close to being NHL ready. He won't stick with the team, but that may ultimtely be more because they need someone to fill the #6 spot on the blueline who makes the league minimum, which Bourdon would not.

X-SHARKIE

Setoguchi had an excellent rookie tournament, has impressed at camp, and even is scoring in the pre-seasons and was named 1st star in a game.

Really looks worth the 8th overall pick from what i've been told.

His speed, hits, hockey sense!!, hands and shot are what seems to set him apart.

Some fans think they should sign him but the Sharks aren't about to rush a prospect when they have other players ready... but if he was on a team like say Washington, Carolina, ect..bottom teams, he would likely make a team.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Setoguchi had an excellent rookie tournament, has impressed at camp, and even is scoring in the pre-seasons and was named 1st star in a game.

His speed, hits, hockey sense!!, hands and shot are what seems to set him apart.

Some fans think they should sign him but the Sharks aren't about to rush a prospect when they have other players ready... but if he was on a team like say Washington, Carolina, ect..bottom teams, he would likely make a team.
He still needs to work on consistency though from all reports I hear. In which case, he'd be better served getting top line minutes in juniors than checking in the NHL. So he's lucky he's on a team like the sharks.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Seph said:
He still needs to work on consistency though from all reports I hear. In which case, he'd be better served getting top line minutes in juniors than checking in the NHL. So he's lucky he's on a team like the sharks.

All the inconsistancy problems people talk about with setoguchi are just from that one horrific streak he had mid year, I mean yes it was really bad but his consistancy aside from that was actually really good, everywhere else he scored on a consistant bases. Ive even heard reports saying during that 1 month where he had like 4 points he also had a nagging injury so I dont know. Ive seen setoguchi probably 7-8 times, which is a reasonable amount and I have come away in love with his playing style every time including some games he didnt score in. Hes going to be this years Mike Richards with possibly more scoring upside and less grit. But dont get me wrong he has alot of grit.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
X-SHARKIE said:

I'm not even sure about Carolina on that one. With the camps that Nordgren, LaRose and Zigomanis are having it's looking like Vrbata might end up on the trading block with one of their excess defensemen.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
shayne said:

From what i've read and seen of Brule, he could make the jackets this year. He's going to be one hell of a player, and should have gone top 3.

I soured on him for a bit, but damn, i was wrong.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Danny Syrvet has been impressing in the Oilers camp. There has been some talk of him making the team, but he'll likely spend a year in the minors then join the team next year.

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
Ryan has not participated at the camp, do not know how anyone caould inform you his camp has been so so

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Petr Kalus was the star 18 year old at Bruins camp. Everyone was very impressed with him. Compared his camp in *some* ways to Bergeron, although not quite as impressive.

Lashoff also impressed, but I believe is already back in Juniors. Kalus was just sent back yesterday after a few games.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kristopher Letang was sensational for the Penguins in their camp and intrasquad tourney.

Didn't make one bad play at all and looked like a veteran and extremely cool and confident with the puck. Slipped off opposing checkers and showed no issues with his lack of ideal size. Rushed the puck up the ice well and scored a few beautiful goals streaking in from the point and on a penalty shot. Created great chances offensively and set up some goals with his smart decision making, vision and shot selection from the point.

If his camp was any indication, Letang could prove to be one of the steals in the draft and will vault his way into the Pens top group of prospects.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Kings brass and coaching staff fell in love with Kopitar at camp. They tried really hard to convince him to stay in North America and play in the AHL this season. You can count on him being over here a year from now, though, and I'd wager that he'll make the Kings at that point, bypassing the AHL completely.

pooler99

Sep 28, 2002
Krynn
Visit site
Rounder said:
Ryan has not participated at the camp, do not know how anyone caould inform you his camp has been so so
:shakehead :shakehead

clearly stated that i was not 100% sure about it ...what are you trying to prove?? For myself i just try to share info that i read here and there but then i'm not a computer and i may just have switch two players in my cerebral cortex...no need to panic there's no '' calm down it will pass'' smilies...damn

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Kindl did ok in the camp but struggled in the pre-season game he played in.

I think he has a lot to work on, the great news is he has all the tools to become a future elite defenseman, he's a great skater, he has great overall puck skills, he's smart, he's has the size and handles the physical game but he's not a physical defenseman at all, the only thing he needs to do is put up points, point production is a very important factor in his game, if the points don't come around Kindl will not reach his potential.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Well out of Toronto nothing really.

Orsekovicwhateverhisnameis has already been sent back to Juniors, and Tuukka Rask didn't come over he's with Ilves.

Zaddik

Bourdon has been making some great hits during his stint in Vancouver. very solid player, close to NHL ready but like Matt said, it's unlikely he'll stick due to cap restrictions.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
pooler99 said:
From what i heard (it may not be 100% accurate) Ryan was so-so,

so-so at what? he has literally been injured the whole time. He didn't play in the rookie tournament, or any pre-season games. He is just now starting to skate with his teammates.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Kastitsyn.....the good one.....Siarhei. He just had a 6 point night for London last night playing with Bolland. I think he will end up being ebtter then his brother...a good work ethic will do that for you.

pooler99

Sep 28, 2002
Krynn
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
so-so at what? he has literally been injured the whole time. He didn't play in the rookie tournament, or any pre-season games. He is just now starting to skate with his teammates.
As i tried to explain, i may have mixed up two of the 2005 draftees....should have read just above your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->