This will never happen, but: McDavid trade at the draft

barnztormre

Our goley is awsom
Jan 21, 2013
West Palm Beach, FL
Someone on the trade rumor board said this would (hypothetically) be enough to trade for the #1 pick:

Detroit: Gustav Nyquist, Danny Dekeyser, 2 top prospects, 2015 1st

Suppose it happens, Larkin and Sproul being the prospects. McDavid replaces Larkin, Pulkkinen replaces Nyquist, and Ouellet (or Petry) replaces DeKeyser.

My revised lines:
Zetterberg-McDavid-Pulkkinen
Tatar-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Weiss-Sheahan-Mantha
Miller-Glendenning-Jurco
Andersson
Depth FA signing
Ferraro

Kronwall – Petry
Ericsson-Marchenko
Quincey-Ouellet
Smith
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

Am I insane? Would you deal that package for "McJesus"?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Our defense would suck so bad but McDavid would be worth it

DeKeyser and Nyquist are such perfect fits for Detroit, though

Holland would never do it, but it would solve our C worries for ~15 years or so

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The question is does the team with the 1st overall pick do it?

I think no.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Doesn't the last place team only have like a 20% chance of picking first?

Or are we talking about making a trade after the picking order is determined? Is that even possible?

barnztormre

Our goley is awsom
Jan 21, 2013
West Palm Beach, FL
Or are we talking about making a trade after the picking order is determined? Is that even possible?

Yes, this trade is made at the draft or in the days before.

I want to clarify two things:

1) I make this deal with Edmonton all day and twice on Sundays. Buffalo, I'm a little hesitant to face Gus-Larkin-DDK six times a year.

2) I assume we have lost Helm in free agency.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Someone on the trade rumor board said this would (hypothetically) be enough to trade for the #1 pick:

Suppose it happens, Larkin and Sproul being the prospects. McDavid replaces Larkin, Pulkkinen replaces Nyquist, and Ouellet (or Petry) replaces DeKeyser.

My revised lines:
Tatar-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Weiss-Sheahan-Mantha
Miller-Glendenning-Jurco
Andersson
Depth FA signing
Ferraro

Kronwall – Petry
Ericsson-Marchenko
Quincey-Ouellet
Smith
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

I wouldn't. Giving up Nyquist, DDK, Larkin, Sproul, and Detroit's own 1st for someone else's 1st would be nuts. Even #1's overall bust. Besides it's Buffalo that's in the best position heading into the draft and Holland would be insane to make such a trade with a division rival.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
This trade also doesn't make sense if Babcock continues coaching this team, as he is much more interested in rolling 4 spread out lines, so trading 4 (5?) NHL quality pieces for just one really good one is detrimental to a depth-first philosophy.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I've always wondered how people can be so sure about a prospect. Isn't there a "best player" in every league, every year? How are we so sure that this year's best OHLer is long-term going to be better than not only every other year's best OHLer but the best AHLer, KHLer, college player, etc.?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I've always wondered how people can be so sure about a prospect. Isn't there a "best player" in every league, every year? How are we so sure that this year's best OHLer is long-term going to be better than not only every other year's best OHLer but the best AHLer, KHLer, college player, etc.?

McDavid has been a special prospect for a long time, though you have a point. He is a surer bet than most prospects to be one of the better players in the league for a good chunk of time, but he could also be injury prone or whatever.

Detroit isn't really in a desperate place where they would need to give up a glut of prospects/ picks/ young NHLers for just one player, either, so no need to put all the eggs in one basket.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Why would Buffalo take that deal? They have a ton of good young prospects. A franchise center could put them into the playoffs almost immediately. Fill it out with a few stabilizing veterans and they're on their way. They don't need more prospects, they need the bonafide #1 franchise center.

Bps21*

It's 80% going to be someone other than Buffalo if they stay in last. Though their plan doesn't change with Eichel...but for the sake of the thread...odds are it won't be them at 1.

ShakenNotStirred

Feb 1, 2015
NW PA
I've seen mcdavid in person a ton over the last three years (erie otter season tickets). Everyone in the arena is on the edge of their seats each time he touches the puck. He was head and shoulders above every player on the ice, at 16.
That being said, I would not do that trade. Its just too much gamble for me.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Buffalo isn't trading McDavid to a team in the same division, especially not for that package.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I really don't see the team that gets the McDavid trading him for anything short of a king's ransom. McDavid in red and white is drool inducing though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

My revised lines:
Tatar-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Weiss-Sheahan-Mantha
Miller-Glendenning-Jurco
Andersson
Depth FA signing
Ferraro

Kronwall – Petry
Ericsson-Marchenko
Quincey-Ouellet
Smith
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

Would Sproul really fit the description 'top prospect'? I think the team trading the #1 pick would want Larkin+Mantha/Mrazek/Ouellet, and that would just hurt us way too much. No one player is worth it. Sidney Crosby isn't winning cups all by himself, even with the help of Malkin, and neither will Macdavid. That lineup you posted doesn't look all that great to me, the only way it's better than what we have right now is if Macdavid is playing at a 100+ point pace, and even then you can look at Dallas with Sequin. A bad defense isn't covered up by a superstar.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Buffalo needs a franchise center far too badly to trade out of the McEichel spot for pretty much any price. It's the one piece we desperately need that can't be acquired in free agency.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
I would do it. We need someone to plug that hole at center when Datsyuk/Zetterberg retire. And it'll be easier to find a top 6 winger to replace Nyquist than to find a bona fide 1C.

Last edited:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I would do it. We need someone to plug that hole at center when Datsyuk/Zetterberg retire. And it'll be easier to find a top 6 winger to replace Nyquist than to find a bona fide 1C.

Idk, looking at the Pens it doesn't give me confidence in getting one player. I'd rather take our chances with Sheahan, Larkin, AA, Helm and who ever else we draft or pick up in FA. Then keep our depth at Winger to roll 3 legit lines. Also our D is suspect enough, if we lost DDK we'd be in a world of hurt. We are really lucky we picked him up out of college for free.

McDavid on the Wings would be absolutely amazing though.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
My gut tells me Eichel would be the guy to make a move on. If I had to make a comparison I would peg McDavid as the Lindros and Eichel as the Forsberg of the draft. (Kickin' it old school draft comparison)! At any rate it's just a pipe dream to land either player, but it will be interesting to see how the much less heralded Larkin stacks up against them.

My draft day dream is to trade up for Warensky and bolster the backline.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I guess the hypothetical here is that McDavid turns out to be somewhere along the lines of where Crosby is now. So I guess I have to ask if I give up this package for an 18 YO Crosby?

I wouldn't. Crosby is the best player in the world but, I'm of the mind that one player doesn't win you games. I'd pass on that package. Depth in talent and role players is what drove Detroit to so much success over the last 20+ years. Why screw with that formula? Basically, what we're looking for is trading our 90s roster for the one we had in the 80s, where Yzerman was lighting up the scoreboard but outside of that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad