this will be it for George......

dinoflint

Jan 8, 2006
Virginia
www.sbarro.com
shanwon said:
I'd be willing to bet you won't get a response from Tinordi, because you responded with logic. Hard to refute your facts. Well done.

Love to see this from the Hockey News:

The Grade: A+
Washington could not have done better. Backstrom was great pickup, and choosing goalies Semen Varlamov (23rd overall) and Michal Neuvirth (34th overall) they filled a definite need. Grabbing Bouchard 35th was also a great pickup. The team really improved Saturday.

Here's some logic right back at ya!

GMGM is starting year 9 with the Caps. He's got one player after the first round playing in the NHL - Pettinger. How much more time do you give him???

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
dinoflint said:
Here's some logic right back at ya!

GMGM is starting year 9 with the Caps. He's got one player after the first round playing in the NHL - Pettinger. How much more time do you give him???

oh god who cares whether the 1st round picks make it or later just that some make it, lol.

dinoflint

Jan 8, 2006
Virginia
www.sbarro.com
usiel said:
oh god who cares whether the 1st round picks make it or later just that some make it, lol.
Yeah, just that some make it, for sure. But the ones who hit on a couple of their late round picks, maybe only one every two years, are the teams that are always in the playoffs. Look at the Caps of old, same situation.

1st round picks, by there nature, are supposed to get a shot at the NHL.

I would think that with all the 1st round picks we've had lately, that still only 50% of them will be on the Caps when they finally turn this around. Maybe one day they'll have a late round pick stick around, too:)

All b****ing aside, the Caps have AO and Backstrom. That's good stuff. It also looks like they have the #2-4 dmen (Morisson, Eminger, Green). Let's hope that Semin and Fehr turn into something solid and we'll be ok.

Tinordi24*

usiel said:

Give me $100 so I'll do you're next round of grocery shopping...I'll return with a bag of Cheetos and some fresh asparagus. I'll be you'll be satisfied and not wonder "where did the rest of my money go?"

Its like a coach asking that only SOME of his players go out and play at 100% and the fans saying "THATS GREAT! WE HAD 2 or 3 Players who gave it their all!"

This mentality is not going to win the Caps any cups ..or even get anywhere near a sniff.

Wasting picks and making poor FA and trade choices (not to mention rediculous waiver wire pick ups) is dangerous business and has gotten the Caps to a cellar dwellar status.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Tinordi24 said:
Give me $100 so I'll do you're next round of grocery shopping...I'll return with a bag of Cheetos and some fresh asparagus. I'll be you'll be satisfied and not wonder "where did the rest of my money go?"

lmao, well I think this is more of a glass half-full or half-empty thing. I can see it now..every pick in a caps draft ends up making it and people would STILL be *****ing. But at least it makes for entertaining forgetable text. :yo:

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Tinordi24 said:

Its like a coach asking that only SOME of his players go out and play at 100% and the fans saying "THATS GREAT! WE HAD 2 or 3 Players who gave it their all!"

This mentality is not going to win the Caps any cups ..or even get anywhere near a sniff.

Wasting picks and making poor FA and trade choices (not to mention rediculous waiver wire pick ups) is dangerous business and has gotten the Caps to a cellar dwellar status.

hahah, man you are a trip. I dub you...the court jester of these boards and I know where to get a good laugh each morning :) .

Tinordi24*

usiel said:
hahah, man you are a trip. I dub you...the court jester of these boards and I know where to get a good laugh each morning :) .

I dub THE (or is it Thee??)....not I dub "you"

Get it straight!

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Tinordi24 said:
I dub THE (or is it Thee??)....not I dub "you"

Get it straight!

Wait, the guy that doesn’t know the difference between “you’re†and “your†is correcting someone else on his grammar?

Tinordi24*

HockeyCritter said:
Wait, the guy that doesn’t know the difference between “you’re†and “your†is correcting someone else on his grammar?

Sadly...being poor in Grammar is a byproduct of my infectious personality and being the life of the party...not to mention my extreme sexiness. Due to these things I was constantly spending time at the best parties in town instead of studying Norton's anthology and other english literature grammar crud.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Tinordi24 said:
I believe McPhee's first draft was in 1997 right? Maybe 98 but I THINK it was 97.

If you want a fair comparison you should go back to then. You will find at least 90% of the teams, AT LEAST, will have faired better.

it was '98

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I would say that the Caps' have had better drafts since '98 than Calgray, Phoenix, Toronto, Edmonton, the Isles, and arguably St. Louis, the Rags, Colorado, and Tampa Bay (without 98, the Caps are CLEARLY better than the last two). If my math skills serve me, that's well over 10% of the teams in the league.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
I would say that the Caps' have had better drafts since '98 than Calgray, Phoenix, Toronto, Edmonton, the Isles, and arguably St. Louis, the Rags, Colorado, and Tampa Bay (without 98, the Caps are CLEARLY better than the last two). If my math skills serve me, that's well over 10% of the teams in the league.

Sitting aside the past two drafts, Carolina hasnt had that great of draft record either

Of course you got 1st round picks like Staal and Ward and later round picks in Cole and Vasicek but hardly anything else after those 4

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is depressing. 7.5 years later?

I was right about that draft. Oh so wrong about George being gone. Fak U, Ted.

My wife keeps telling me to start rooting for the Sharks.

Wish I could care for them, much as I do for the Craps.

Huge Sigh in SF.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sorry but the original premise of this thread was absurd IMO. A complete tear down, lockout and resulting complete draft pick screwing by the league, one year of rebuild, and now it is time to be good?

That being said I'm pretty darn confident that if the Caps don't make the playoffs this year McPhee will be gone. And if they do miss and he is brought back hopefully you'll be able to find room for me on the SS Fire McPhee...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
That being said I'm pretty darn confident that if the Caps don't make the playoffs this year McPhee will be gone. And if they do miss and he is brought back hopefully you'll be able to find room for me on the SS Fire McPhee...

Too late. Lets do it early.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm just laughing at the BIGTRAIN reference. Holy crap, what a piece of work that guy was. <<<<<<<<<<<

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm sorry but the original premise of this thread was absurd IMO. A complete tear down, lockout and resulting complete draft pick screwing by the league, one year of rebuild, and now it is time to be good?

Eh, I was young and naive:sarcasm:

Premise was George sucks, and we'd never win with him at the helm. Also that his 2006 draft sucked, outside Backstrom and Varlamov.

Right on both counts. Meh.

PS-- always room on the SS Fire McPhee. It's a rather large vessel.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Ugh reading this only tortures us further in knowing were stuck in mediocrity for the long haul.

Absolutely right the media needs to put pressure. Wonder if Ted created his own homer sports network just to be blind to the truth. It's like watching redskins nation I imagine. No matter how awful they are,They talk like the skins are league champs. The real fans know it,fans of other teams feel sorry for the caps.

The team hit its peak then declined and it seems worse every year. Maybe gmgm is going with his only plan that works...top 5 picks.

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
What media? Where do you think you are...?

This is 100% correct. Essentially the newspapers in this town folded up on hockey a while ago. The existing media is either handpicked (subsidized) pseudo-news guys or bloggers too afraid to have their credentials yanked. Fat chance they put any pressure on the powers that be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->