This Week's " 31 Thoughts " Column by Elliotte Friedman

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It's interesting to read Poile's comments on the trade, and his approach is a stark contrast to how our GM has operated so far.

"Poile, involved in three of the biggest moves of the past 24 months, was asked a good question at his availability: does he get a rush from these moments?

“Rush? Rush?” He smiled and paused as he searched for the proper words. “It’s hard, we’ve traded Seth Jones.

Deep down you don’t want to do that because you know what you have. Sammy Girard looks like he’s going to be a really good player, you don’t want to do that… You want to have relationships with players, but you can’t get too close…You’ve got to be able to see the full picture for your team, what you need… To say everything’s a slam dunk when you make a trade? It’s not that way.”

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It's interesting to read Poile's comments on the trade, and his approach is a stark contrast to how our GM has operated so far.

"Poile, involved in three of the biggest moves of the past 24 months, was asked a good question at his availability: does he get a rush from these moments?

“Rush? Rush?” He smiled and paused as he searched for the proper words. “It’s hard, we’ve traded Seth Jones.

Deep down you don’t want to do that because you know what you have. Sammy Girard looks like he’s going to be a really good player, you don’t want to do that… You want to have relationships with players, but you can’t get too close…You’ve got to be able to see the full picture for your team, what you need… To say everything’s a slam dunk when you make a trade? It’s not that way.”

Obviously Poile is dealing with a much more talented roster than Sweeney so I think his relative aggression is logical, but you have to tip your cap to his willingness and ability to close deals. It's refreshing...I'm jealous of what they've got down there.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

The Preds were a couple of wins away from a Stanley Cup (without Johansen). I would expect him to aggressively try to get back there and finish the job with the roster they have. The Bruins are in a completely different position to these eyes.

If the B's are fortunate to have a deep playoff run, and then return most of the same team the following year, I would expect Sweeney to be more aggressive about improving the roster than he has been.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Obviously Poile is dealing with a much more talented roster than Sweeney so I think his relative aggression is logical, but you have to tip your cap to his willingness and ability to close deals. It's refreshing...I'm jealous of what they've got down there.

It is refreshing, and impressive.

His wheeling and dealing is largely responsible for giving him that "much more talented roster." He traded for Filip Forsberg. He traded for James Neal. He traded for Ryan Johansen. He traded for PK Subban. He traded for Emelin. Now he's traded a ton of quality futures for Kyle Turris.

This is a guy that has actively shaped his roster to give him the kind of team he wants to ice. He didn't fall in love with all of his prospects even though he had some great ones, and he didn't get too attached to guys that were a big part of their franchise, like Shea Weber.

In the trade thread, AOF is getting killed for suggesting we trade Heinen because, in case you didn't notice, he's playing great and is a good prospect (not to pick on anyone, just pointing out a common lament of trade proposals). Well, sometimes you deal a good player for a good player. Like Poile said, you don't always feel like it's a slam dunk when you complete the deal, but you're trying to shape a roster and fit pieces into a blueprint that you think can win. It seems like Sweeney so far, is really just about drafting and developing, and the team we end up with will depend entirely on which kids develop well and which ones fall short.

Maybe that's unfair because he's been on the job for what? 2 years? Maybe he's been biding his time until his stable of prospects was worth something, and he's going to surprise us all with some moves and finally reveal what he sees as a Cup winning blueprint. I would love for that to be the case, because right now, I don't know if he believes in 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines, 4 scoring lines, 3 grinding lines or what. I don't know if he wants a puck moving defense (McAvoy, Zboril, Lauzon) or a heavy defense (Carlo, O'Gara, Lindgren, Sherman and most of his UFA signings), or if he wants balance or offensive pairs like when they tried Krug and McAvoy or what!?! I know the injuries make it hard to read too but there are just so many bodies being used in all kinds of roles. But I digress...

OT: Did you see that I responded to your PM? This site does those differently, it's now a "conversation" up on the top right.

Reactions: Hali33

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Fwiw, I think Chiarelli was/is the same way (as Poile).

Here he made deals to get the team over the top. He traded for Horton. He traded a really good young player in Wheeler for guys that fit the role/blueprint better. He traded for Boychuk and Seidenberg. He brought in role players like Ference, Kelly and Campbell...

In Edmonton, he took over a small, soft, skilled team with no defense and no goaltending. Within 2 years, he brought in Maroon, Lucic and Kassian. He traded a great player in Hall for a very solid D in Larsson because it was an area of dire need. He brought in Sekera, Russell and Benning. He traded for Cam Talbot.

I know... McDavid. But Chiarelli didn't have McDavid when he came to Boston but he still built the same kind of team, blending heavy board play, big nasty hitters with sublime skill players.

I think we can all agree Chiarelli wasn't without faults either. It seems Poile is better at re-tooling on the fly. But I think it's interesting to compare GM's like these with Sweeney.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yes. But I don't see that happening. No roster spots, and I feel like we have better options in the minors.

I'd still love for him to come back and at least try for an NHL spot next year under Cassidy (assuming he's still HC). Worst case, he can't hack it over here, and bolts back to Russia. He's still young and he's productive in the KHL. We've seen guys leave here, go over there, and comeback and be able to play.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
It is refreshing, and impressive.

His wheeling and dealing is largely responsible for giving him that "much more talented roster." He traded for Filip Forsberg. He traded for James Neal. He traded for Ryan Johansen. He traded for PK Subban. He traded for Emelin. Now he's traded a ton of quality futures for Kyle Turris.

This is a guy that has actively shaped his roster to give him the kind of team he wants to ice. He didn't fall in love with all of his prospects even though he had some great ones, and he didn't get too attached to guys that were a big part of their franchise, like Shea Weber.

In the trade thread, AOF is getting killed for suggesting we trade Heinen because, in case you didn't notice, he's playing great and is a good prospect (not to pick on anyone, just pointing out a common lament of trade proposals). Well, sometimes you deal a good player for a good player. Like Poile said, you don't always feel like it's a slam dunk when you complete the deal, but you're trying to shape a roster and fit pieces into a blueprint that you think can win. It seems like Sweeney so far, is really just about drafting and developing, and the team we end up with will depend entirely on which kids develop well and which ones fall short.

Maybe that's unfair because he's been on the job for what? 2 years? Maybe he's been biding his time until his stable of prospects was worth something, and he's going to surprise us all with some moves and finally reveal what he sees as a Cup winning blueprint. I would love for that to be the case, because right now, I don't know if he believes in 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines, 4 scoring lines, 3 grinding lines or what. I don't know if he wants a puck moving defense (McAvoy, Zboril, Lauzon) or a heavy defense (Carlo, O'Gara, Lindgren, Sherman and most of his UFA signings), or if he wants balance or offensive pairs like when they tried Krug and McAvoy or what!?! I know the injuries make it hard to read too but there are just so many bodies being used in all kinds of roles. But I digress...

OT: Did you see that I responded to your PM? This site does those differently, it's now a "conversation" up on the top right.
This is a great post and puts all of my frustrations and anger into one thought.

We need an impact trade. We are not far away. An elite established defensemen. And still a 25 goal rugged winger for Krejci who seems to play better with guys like Horton then guys like Pasta. It looks to me DeBrusk and Bjork are real. Carlo and Charlie are also. Heinen could be bait. Keep DeBrusk. Then we have so many chips.

I just read that OEL could become available and if that is the case. I believe our GM could put together a great package without hurting us one bit. Krug, Carlo, McAvoy and OEL going forward with Chara, Miller, McQuaid, as beef going forward. That is a great defense.

Who do we trade and what do they want becomes the question. We have so many possible gems. JFK, Frederick, Gabriel, Donato, Louzan, Zboril, and many more. My thought is we have to go for it with this nucleus that anchored two cup runs. I understand the future and value of kids in the pipeline. But this team and fanbase need to have the best chance to win and not wait like a expansion franchise. I dont understand Sweeney. Taveres and OEL could become available.He needs to be in heavy. I would keep Frederick and Zboril of the ones i mentioned above from what i read and gather...But anyone else is game. I might trade Carlo in a deal for OEL as a starter...We would need to make salary room i guess. He must figure it out.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This is a great post and puts all of my frustrations and anger into one thought.

We need an impact trade. We are not far away. An elite established defensemen. And still a 25 goal rugged winger for Krejci who seems to play better with guys like Horton then guys like Pasta. It looks to me DeBrusk and Bjork are real. Carlo and Charlie are also. Heinen could be bait. Keep DeBrusk. Then we have so many chips.

I just read that OEL could become available and if that is the case. I believe our GM could put together a great package without hurting us one bit. Krug, Carlo, McAvoy and OEL going forward with Chara, Miller, McQuaid, as beef going forward. That is a great defense.

Who do we trade and what do they want becomes the question. We have so many possible gems. JFK, Frederick, Gabriel, Donato, Louzan, Zboril, and many more. My thought is we have to go for it with this nucleus that anchored two cup runs. I understand the future and value of kids in the pipeline. But this team and fanbase need to have the best chance to win and not wait like a expansion franchise. I dont understand Sweeney. Taveres and OEL could become available.He needs to be in heavy. I would keep Frederick and Zboril of the ones i mentioned above from what i read and gather...But anyone else is game. I might trade Carlo in a deal for OEL as a starter...We would need to make salary room i guess. He must figure it out.

Kiss one of Carlo or McAvoy goodbye in a deal for OEL. Yotes also have an abundance of young forwards, so maybe they deal him for Pastrnak.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Kiss one of Carlo or McAvoy goodbye in a deal for OEL. Yotes also have an abundance of young forwards, so maybe they deal him for Pastrnak.
Carlo i would drive to the airport with that we have Louzan and Zboril and even OGara coming but Charlie McAvoy stays right where he is for almost anyone as far as i am concerned.

Pasta one for one is fair. But for me, Pasta is a game breaker and will get more responsible and better defensively. We need to trade from strength and not just to trade. (how old is OEL) ? I would not trade Pasta for him.

Not sure how many Bruin fans would make that deal. ..........In any event, If i am GM, this is a almost Karlson type player in the right environment and we could be that space. If GM offered him

CARLO, JFK, GABRIEL and a number 1, He would be crazy not to take a deal like that. Does not have to be that deal, we have so many chips they could put together a great package. NO CHARLIE under any circumstance. And that would not hurt us as long as we can dump some salary (Belesky) maybe ?)...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Carlo i would drive to the airport with that we have Louzan and Zboril and even OGara coming but Charlie McAvoy stays right where he is for almost anyone as far as i am concerned.

Pasta one for one is fair. But for me, Pasta is a game breaker and will get more responsible and better defensively. We need to trade from strength and not just to trade. (how old is OEL) ? I would not trade Pasta for him.

Not sure how many Bruin fans would make that deal. ..........In any event, If i am GM, this is a almost Karlson type player in the right environment and we could be that space. If GM offered him

CARLO, JFK, GABRIEL and a number 1, He would be crazy not to take a deal like that. Does not have to be that deal, we have so many chips they could put together a great package. NO CHARLIE under any circumstance. And that would not hurt us as long as we can dump some salary (Belesky) maybe ?)...

Pretty sure the Coyotes pass on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad