Sportsnet This Week's " 31 Thoughts " Column by Elliotte Friedman ( Updated - June 26th )

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by BostonBob, Dec 12, 2018.

1. GordonHowe

GordonHowe Registered User

A recent player poll of about 140 NHLrs had Patrice as the #3 best player in the league, in terms of their overall game. Crosby and, I believe, CM were 1 & 2.

PatriceBergeronFan and CDJ like this.
  2. Wiggleboom

Wiggleboom Registered User

McAvoy was 2nd? Wow, I knew he was getting better, but...

3. GordonHowe

GordonHowe Registered User

No, sorry. "CM" for Connor McDavid.

4. Wiggleboom

Wiggleboom Registered User

Haha I know - was just joking.

5. Fenway

Fenway Administrator Sponsor

6. Fenway

Fenway Administrator Sponsor

31 Thoughts: Why navigating Phil Kessel trade won't be easy for Penguins - Sportsnet.ca

20. Commissioner Gary Bettman meets with the media before Game 1 of the Final. It will be interesting to see what he says about the future of video review. We are headed for change, but the question is, “What will that look like?” Watching the aftermath of San Jose’s Game 3 overtime winner against St. Louis, I can’t tell you how many people were struck by the lunacy of everyone in the building knowing about Timo Meier’s hand pass — except the four people who mattered most. It was on the scoreboard, on TV screens, on phones. But not accessible by the officials.

For the second time in the post-season (the Game 7 crew from Vegas/San Jose was the other), officials were sent home because of in-game mistakes. (It should be pointed out the league backed Kelly Sutherland, who did not eject Charlie McAvoy in Game 6 of Boston/Columbus. He is still working — assigned to the Cup Final). No official wants to make that kind of mistake, nor suffer the public rebuke of a post-season banishment. According to multiple sources, they are willing to accept expanded review. But what will be the scope of it?

21. The problem with the debate is that few would have predicted what happened with Pavelski against Vegas or Meier against the Blues. So, how do you protect against what you may not expect? Review all goals? For what, specifically? Brad Schlossman of The Grand Forks Herald reported last week that both of those scenarios could have been reviewed under NCAA rules, where there are 14 different options for replay.

One of the ideas being floated is doing this just for the playoffs, but I think that’s wrong. It’s hard to make the post-season, and the consequences for failing to do so are severe. Another idea suggested to me is taking one referee off the ice (on a rotated basis) to sit as the “eye in the sky.” That would, in theory, open up some room. It is on the Competition Committee’s agenda, that meeting set for June 11.

22. Boston/Carolina Game 4, the night after the Sharks’ disputed goal, featured six whistles for hand passes. That was the most in any game this season, surpassing the five from Carolina/Buffalo on Feb. 7. Total coincidence.

PatriceBergeronFan likes this.
  7. Blowfish

Blowfish Registered User

Ha Coyle...Like Friedman.

8. Hamilton Brian

Hamilton Brian Registered User

Wow, that was pretty prescient all those months ago. Friedman was on to something and the rumours bore fruit.

9. JCRO

JCRO At least I'm safe inside my mind Sponsor

16. We always get blinded by the stars, but St. Louis’s grinding style was very good for Micheal Ferland and Wayne Simmonds. A couple clubs suspect Minnesota will make the biggest pitch for Simmonds, but there’s plenty of interest. Both the Blues and Bruins were four-line teams, good for Noel Acciari and Joonas Donskoi. I think Edmonton and Los Angeles are among the teams that checked in on Brandon Tanev. The Oilers are exploring everywhere for wingers: from Brett Connolly to Tanev to AHL MVP Daniel Carr. Jesse Puljujarvi’s preference is to resume his NHL career outside of Canada; someplace a little quieter. Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay are among the possibilities.

FWIW- He didnt list BOS as a team interested in the Corey Perry experiment

10. compan

compan Registered User

Quieter.... like Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay. One of these seems different than the others...

11. JCRO

JCRO At least I'm safe inside my mind Sponsor

My thoughts exactly

:laugh:

compan likes this.
  12. Estlin

Estlin Registered User

Hockey is #1 in Edmonton; it isn't in Boston. I imagine that there's a great deal of pressure there, given the history of failed/under-achieving first-round draft picks and the pressure on the Oilers to succeed, given that the franchise was gifted McDavid. So, I'd say that Boston would be a less stressful environment for him by comparison. I think that JP would be a great buy-low option for Boston.

Coach Parker and Dennis Bonvie like this.
  13. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered User

I said it in the trade thread but here it makes more sense. Carolina is the team i’d bet makes the best offer for him. The same effect debrincat had on strome I could see with puljujarvi and aho

14. Dr Hook

Dr Hook Grz-tastic Sponsor

History Professor
    True, but from his perspective the Bruins have established top players and a leadership core- the expectations on him wouldn't be near what they are in that **** show up in Edmonton. No one would be expecting him to help lead the team to glory, or in Edmonton's case, out of the cellar. He could grow his game here under great coaching and veteran mentors.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Coach Parker and Mainehockey33 like this.
  15. compan

compan Registered User

Yeah in that regard, it isn't Edmonton.

Let's just hope he is better than Jimmy Hayes if we get him and he won't have to worry :laugh:

Dr Hook likes this.
  16. BruinsBtn

BruinsBtn Registered User

I think Boston is in the mix because he's a right wing and is well suited to a grinding cycle game. He might even get a chance to play with Bergeron and if that clicks he would be on his way to some big paydays.

Edmonton would want young NHL ready players back and Boston has Bjork, Clifton and Lauzon. I imagine Edmonton could fall in love with one of those guys, maybe toss in Kevan Miller too.

If youre Boston you better do your homework on his character because some of the chatter isn't great.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Coach Parker likes this.