Sportsnet This Week's " 31 Thoughts " Column by Elliotte Friedman ( Updated - June 26th )

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Once again there is no Bruin news but Friedman did tell a funny Cam Neely story:

This reminds me of a Garry Galley story. We were doing a playoff series and someone was struggling to score. He said he was getting chances, though. When we went out after the game, Galley said he once saw Harry Sinden tell Cam Neely the Bruins needed him to get going. Neely said he was getting his chances, just couldn’t finish. Sinden replied (paraphrase), “Hey, I don’t pay you to get chances. I pay you to score.”

Full article: www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-whats-next-benn-seguin-dallas-stars/?shawct=1

It's amazing that he ignored the Bruins through all their injuries but they kept their heads above water. I understand he's from Montreal so I'm sure there is no love lost against the Bruins.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Reactions: RustyBruins72

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Scary to hear that about Simmonds and the Bruins unquestioned interest. Not so much for him as a rental but if they love him now, they'll probably love him just as much on July 1st.

Same thing when you hear about interest in Ferland.

Jacobs should take away Sweeney's keys to the car before he lets him go out on July 1st and once again drop a pile of $$$ and term on ANOTHER aging Power Forward.

Reactions: finchster

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
A bit of Bruins news this week:

1. Why Boston’s Don Sweeney could very well be telling the truth when he says David Pastrnak’s injury won’t change his deadline plans: Initially, the Bruins weren’t thrilled with the idea of another Rick Nash-style rental, because you can’t do that too often. As time passed (they currently sit 17th in goals per game), it sounds like they re-visited the idea, recognizing they need offensive help, even with a healthy Pastrnak. Maybe they go for someone with term or team control, but they are looking to add. Of course, in their first game without the talented winger, they scored six against Chicago.

Full article here: www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-eyes-senators-trade-deadline-nears/?shawct=1

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I take less and less value from this column the more I read it. Sometimes it seems like he throws a bunch of words together. One day, one of thoughts will be what McDavid has for breakfast, just because he can get away with it.

A few weeks ago he did ask McDavid about his new haircut. :laugh:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
A few Bruin tidbits this week:

8. I think the teams with the best chances at signing Panarin long-term are Florida, Los Angeles, the Islanders and the Rangers. The only one that makes sense to take a shot at him for rental purposes is the Islanders. Boston hovers as a rental option, too. If the Islanders don’t get their top choices, GM Lou Lamoriello could consider old acquaintance Ilya Kovalchuk. Remember, the winger has control over his destination.

16. Zuccarello and Wayne Simmonds may have to wait until the Duchene/Stone/Panarin situations settle. A mix of similar teams looking at both: Boston, Calgary, San Jose, maybe Pittsburgh and Vegas. New Jersey GM Ray Shero was aggressive with Brian Boyle, and it sounds like he’s done the same with Marcus Johansson. I’ve heard Columbus, Edmonton, San Jose and Vancouver as teams who have checked in. Possibly Washington, too, since they know him. The Canucks are the odd fit, but they looked at Andre Burakovsky, too. So maybe they are thinking about something for the future or are trying to replace the injured Sven Baertschi.

Full article here: www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-stealth-suitor-emerge-matt-duchene/?shawct=1

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
There was a mention of "Nico Sturm" a 24 year old college player with IIRC 39 goals. I wonder if he's related to Marco and if he's free to sign with whomever?

According to his profile page ( Nico Sturm - Men's Hockey - Clarkson University Athletics ) over on the Clarkson Golden Knights site he is not Marco's kid although he might still be a relation. He has never been drafted and it doesn't look like he's been signed by anybody yet either.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
There was a mention of "Nico Sturm" a 24 year old college player with IIRC 39 goals. I wonder if he's related to Marco and if he's free to sign with whomever?

Some Info: nico sturm hockeydb - Google Search

According to his profile page ( Nico Sturm - Men's Hockey - Clarkson University Athletics ) over on the Clarkson Golden Knights site he is not Marco's kid although he might still be a relation. He has never been drafted and it doesn't look like he's been signed by anybody yet either.

He is not related to Marco Sturm in any way, according to Elite Prospects. I assume he's a candidate to be an UDFA after his college season?

Probably won't happen, but I always love when the Bruins go after college free agents. I'd prefer Mason Jobst, who has had himself a solid NCAA career and was at Bruins development camp a few years ago, but I'd take a 6'3'' 200 lbs. LS center and see what he's got.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Probably won't happen, but I always love when the Bruins go after college free agents. I'd prefer Mason Jobst, who has had himself a solid NCAA career and was at Bruins development camp a few years ago, but I'd take a 6'3'' 200 lbs. LS center and see what he's got.

Hell - let's sign them both. You can't have too many good prospects.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hell - let's sign them both. You can't have too many good prospects.

Well in theory you can, because you can only have 50 contracts in an organization. I do think the Bruins might still have some space there. I would be in favor of a college signing or two. I am quite sure the org has scouted NCAA well

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
31 Thoughts: Oilers GM search leaving no stone unturned - Sportsnet.ca

2. In his magnificent Hall of Fame–worthy career, Patrice Bergeron has never received one first-place vote for the Hart Trophy. He has four seconds (all in 2014, which is the only time he’s received anything more than a fourth-place vote). Is it possible he is the most under-appreciated great player ever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad