This Thread Is ONLY For Those That Love The Phoenix Coyotes: No Others Need Enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
He is the single reason I do not want the team going to QC. I would rather the team go to ****in Hawaii than QC.

Hawaii is actually quite nice...and I'm sure the players on all of the other teams would love to go there to play. In fact, they could probably have home games every single game because everyone would enjoy the vacation.

Only one ice rink on one of the islands, though. That's kind of a bummer.

knowsthegame

Mar 18, 2008
Tale of 2 NHL cities
I voted that the team will not be leaving at the end of this season.
First, there is no city for them to go to that is ready.
Second, as dilusional as I may seem, I believe the NHL wants to be in the Phoenix market long term.
Third, the NHL would rather sell expansion franchises to QC and or Markham/Seattle than relocate a team. - more financial gain.
Forth, all this doom and gloom is based on the CoG deadline, not the NHL deadline.
We have been here for 3 years without an owner and were supposed to be moving every year, yet here we are.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Second, as dilusional as I may seem, I believe the NHL wants to be in the Phoenix market long term.
Third, the NHL would rather sell expansion franchises to QC and or Markham/Seattle than relocate a team. - more financial gain.
Forth, all this doom and gloom is based on the CoG deadline, not the NHL deadline.
We have been here for 3 years without an owner and were supposed to be moving every year, yet here we are.

Love the positivity :)

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I see no reason to believe anything anyone says about the team's status. I can pull anonymous sources and mystery buyers out of my ass, too. And speaking of my ass, there isn't one single person involved in this story who can't kiss it. Not just a peck on the cheek, either. I'm talking tongue here.

So I don't know.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

Good post.

I only voted yes because this felt like the best chance to stay, an opportunity missed (all parties are to blame, including the NHL for their ridiculous asking price, the greed of the owners showing through there). Its not the only chance though.

Demented anti-Coyotes posters (like you-know-who) trolling this thread only embarrass themselves with their antics. I'm sure many others are embarrassed to be associated with him.

Last edited:

OKCDevil

May 8, 2012
PHX North Valley

This is all very sound, taking emotional bias out of the situation.

QC is the closest to being ready, but the NHL knows they can string them along and get there in time via expansion. This is the best move for the league in the long run - get big-time expansion fee from a market they know will pay it. T2 is not ready and I don't think Hamilton can happen. With the population loss in Buffalo the last 25 years, a team that close could eventually destabilize the Sabres. I doubt the NHL wants to see that happen.

I too believe the NHL wants to stay in Phoenix long-term. It's an important market if the league truly wants to be seen as a national sport in America, which of course it does. And before someone throws out Atlanta as a comparison, it is not. It's a terrible sports town and doesn't even pack it in for Braves games anymore. Atlanta is static and likely will never change. But Phoenix, because of its constant growth and new populations coming in, can change over time. This is a place that was tiny back in the 1960s when the Suns came and the NBA was criticized heavily for moving to such a backwater outpost back then. But in the nearly 50 years the Suns have been there, Phoenix has exploded and is now one of the biggest markets in the country. And, in the long run, population-projection models for southern US cities are very bullish. Meanwhile, projections for core NHL cities in the Rust Belt continue to project negative. (This is the same reason the Big Ten is trying to add ACC teams, as they see the number losses too.) The league needs to stay in Phoenix and think about adding Houston as well. Seriously. Because if there's ever another situation of the Canadian dollar tanking, the NHL will need American markets to offset that.

Phoenix can absolutely be a hockey market. Like Toronto or Detroit? Of course not. That's silly. But it can absolutely be stable like Tampa Bay or the California teams are. The fact is, the Coyotes have never been stable in the Valley, going through bad ownership at every turn and then agreeing to go to fracking Glendale, which I think, if they move, was really when the team's fate was sealed. If you get a guy in there that took care of the team, ala Reinsdorf, and the Los Arcos deal worked out, I theorize the Coyotes would be entirely stable and play in front of solid crowds. Without the constant threat of upheaval, I believe it would be much better supported. The human nature is to run from disorganization and drama. That's all the Coyotes have had in the Valley. Honestly, we're lucky it hasn't been worse on the support side.

They're probably still gone, but part of me is starting to think the league, after this long, might just dig in its heels, keep the team there and figure that another arena in a better part of town is needed. Just my random "of the moment" take on things.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Do not place your hopes on a city not being ready. QC is. We're long past having to have Phoenix as a market and all that crap. It's all about money right now.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Part of the reason the league left Quebec was the old arena. Although new arena construction is underway (not ready until 2015), how could the league justify returning to the old arena, even if it's just a temporary building?

On another note, a lot of people have mentioned the need for a new arena in downtown Phoenix in the coming years to replace US Airways. Why wouldn't those teams just move to Jobing.com too? I wonder if they're considering about some of the same issues (public transportation, location, etc). about relocating to Glendale.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
how could the league justify returning to the old arena, even if it's just a temporary building?

They are willing to retrofit it to meet NHL standards. The new arena seats something like 20k, and QC would be a big moneymaker. No doubt. Much better market than Winnipeg.

On another note, a lot of people have mentioned the need for a new arena in downtown Phoenix in the coming years to replace US Airways. Why wouldn't those teams just move to Jobing.com too? I wonder if they're considering about some of the same issues (public transportation, location, etc). about relocating to Glendale.

ASU needs a new arena too, and they have plans to build one in a huge sporting complex near Tempe town lake. Crow wants facilities good enough to host the Pan American games. He has huge plans for that whole corridor, most of which ASU owns and can get revenue from tax free because it's university land. A 18-20k seat arena right where the 60, 10, 101, 51 and 202 meet would be amazing. I'm almost tempted to say that any Coyote buyer would have one eye on the exit, should the Suns or ASU move to build such a facility. Downtown Phoenix just sucks, so I could see the Suns moving while that stays a prime concert location. At some point you start to run into an upper limit as far as # of facilities goes though. Can Phoenix really handle 3 high quality arenas at once? Probably not.

Suns won't get new digs until Sarver sells the team, though. He's a cheap pos.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Moving forward, I believe the intent of this thread was so people with Coyotes' related avatars or names could give their honest opinions. If you wish to give your support as you follow another team, please keep it in the Non-Ownership Thread.

Joe Cooley

Lurker Extraordinaire
May 25, 2003
Maricopa, Az
Writing is on the wall, everything else is lip service. As much as want them to stay, very hard to see how it gets done.

I lived in Seattle, so would continue to follow follow them there. QC would be a little harder but probably would still follow.

I love hockey, so I will still follow. But I'm bummed because we have the components for a great team. Maloney = God, Tippett one of the best in the business. Our Defense is beyond stacked. On Offense guys know there roles, and we score by committee. Goaltending is good, could use a backup (Johnson maybe?) We are only a legit goal scorer away from being a real threat in my eyes.

Sad the Valley hasn't adopted this team, because they are the best team in town.

Long live the Coyotes!

Yote Devil

Jan 20, 2010
Prescott/Tempe,AZ
I voted this is are last season. It's been a good ride, lots of ups and plenty of downs. I remember watching my first hockey game at AWA, it was the yotes vs the avs I was 12 (now 22). The yotes introduced me to the greatest game on earth and for that I'm am grateful.

Go yotes and go Seattle Squatches!(lol I would call them that)

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Even if there is a "hockey mad billionaire" waiting in the wings, we're done until it happens. It would seem to be more of a "keep hope alive for the fans" thing than anything realistic.

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
I'm never going to give up hope. Not until its officially over. I'm not from Arizona but I've been a fan of the team ever since it moved there from my hometown. I was too young to really realize what was happening when the jets moved, so I can't tell you how it feels. No matter what happens to them I'm never going to stop following the team, where ever they end up playing. Don't give up hope yet, just have to stay positive. Just like the players there is nothing we can do as fans but wait.

TGOTC

Yer a wizard Oliver
Oct 3, 2009
On the couch
I think this is the last season. This whole circus has ruined hockey for me. I can't even enjoy it anymore. I just want this to be over already.

ArizonaSports

Feb 6, 2013
Hello first time poster here :handclap:

But yes I think there will be more seasons here in Arizona people have been saying the franchise is moving for years. But has it? No so why would it be any different? (Just my POV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad