This Thread Is ONLY For Those That Love The Phoenix Coyotes: No Others Need Enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Do you have ANY reasonable hope that this will NOT be the last season in Arizona for this franchise?

Mod Edit: Moving forward, I believe the intent of this thread was so people with Coyotes' related avatars or names could give their honest opinions. If you wish to give your support as you follow another team, please keep it in the Non-Ownership Thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Do you have ANY reasonable hope that this will NOT be the last season in Arizona for this franchise?

List of Shame (for low life a-holes who clicked on this thread and voted, despite not loving the Coyotes):

1. seanerixon

I think we're done. This is all too Atlanta-ish.
They drag it out here until we're done playing the season and the "mystery buyer" then drops out. No choice but to move the team. I feel like we've been played by the NHL. And I'm ticked!

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
They drag it out here until we're done playing the season and the "mystery buyer" then drops out. No choice but to move the team. I feel like we've been played by the NHL. And I'm ticked!

I felt like the NHL has been playing the Coyotes Fans for quite sometime among other things too and it looks like I am right. I wish I was wrong but looks like I am scary right about this.

coyotesfan

Jul 12, 2007
I didnt vote because this story has taken so many twists and turns that I cant say one way or the other. I remember after the first season just sitting in my seat thinking I watched my last coyotes game after they lost to Detroit. I've learned to not get too upset or too hopefull. If they leave I will be heart broken. For now though just enjoy the fact that we have been able to watch the greatest players and game on earth!!

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV

Totally agree with all of this. I feel the NHL has been playing Glendale and the fanbase for some time now. When this all began the only place to move the team to was Winnipeg, soon some other potential cities will be ready. I feel they been selling false hope for a while waiting for relocation destinations to get ready. Infuriating.

The lockout didn't bother me much, I saw both sides of the issue and understood why they disagreed. This situation however has my blood boiling; all this time, all these charades, all these jokes of potential owners, it is disgusting.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I made up my mind a few weeks ago. I just don't see it happening. This was the sweetest deal we're going to see. The only way to make it work would be to drastically reduce the asking price, but over the past 4 years I never saw any hint that that could happen.

Ultimately, I have to be honest, I'm very skeptical about the Coyotes ever making money in Glendale. It's one hell of a steep hill to climb. Any new owner wouldn't benefit from a novelty effect or a new shiny building, and we'll never have spare cash for a couple brand name superstars.

Oh well. This whole fiasco was really decided when the Scottsdale city council killed the Los Arcos project. We didn't know it at the time, but it just postponed the inevitable.

At least, I'll get to cherish last season forever. After 16 years we finally had a pretty damn good team, exciting prospects, a great coach and GM, an amazing captain, something to really cheer for, and it paid off. To me, it was all worth it.

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Do I think the 2013-14 NHL season will include the Phoenix Coyotes? I'll let pro wrestler Daniel Bryan answer for me:

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I think we're done...but there is still a shred of "hope" that something positive happens and we stay. But at this point, to avoid insanity I have to believe we're leaving.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Let me just say that no matter what happens, it's been nothing short of a honor and privilege getting to know you all, and cheering beside you for the past 15+ years. I know we're not done yet, but the light at the end of the tunnel just gets dimmer, and dimmer. While the past few years have been draining, I think it strengthened my love for the game, and the team.

Hopefully this isn't our last hoorah.

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Not allowed to vote but yeah, we're done. At best they're gonna keep the Coyotes here for a season so Seattle/QC can properly finish their arenas.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
fZW69.gif

It's been fun.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Didn't vote. Dunno...

From my head - it's very last season. From my heart - we will have more hockey seasons.

Feb 12, 2003
I remember sitting at the eliminating game against the Red Wings in the playoffs two years ago, determined to go to that game as it was a very real possibility that it would be the last game here. We've survived the past two years and I had no such fear after the playoffs last year. Right now I am right back to that same feeling I had at the end of that Red Wings series. I've got my tickets for this season, and I'm going to be there for the last home game no matter what, but I think it is coming.

I know it's still way too early to be saying this type of stuff, but the sobriety of the situation makes me wonder what went wrong. These are not excuses, but reasons that contributed to the failure of the Coyotes. We never had decent ownership. We're a transient market where often times just as many fans are cheering for the road team as the Coyotes. Management was very poor prior to the Maloney-Tippett regime, which allowed this team to slip into a non-competitive team for too long. I don't know how other sports teams around the valley have been since the recession, but I would imagine with our higher-than-national-average rate of foreclosures that the economy was not in our favor the past 4 years.

I will not accept that this is not a hockey market however. The Roadrunners did decent here for a long time and go back to the 60's. If nothing else the volume of fans that were cheering for the road teams show that we have hockey fans here, just not fans of the Coyotes. We had our share of sellouts and attendance the past 4 years was as much a result of the ownership as the losing in years past.

I do not blame Gary Bettman, if anything I think he has helped the team to stay as long as he did. We wouldn't have had a team at this point, they would have moved years ago, probably to Seattle or something when Paul Allen wanted to buy the team. Anger at Bettman is misdirected.

The memories I will always remember include Kris King scoring the first goal in Phoenix and beating the Sharks in our first home opener. Krystofer Kolanos beating Patrick Roy on a penalty shot causing Roy to throw a fit and break his stick. The Coyotes winning the Pacific Division last year and seeing the video of the fans cheering them getting off the plane after doing so. Shane Doan's only career hat trick last season. The best to me was seeing the Coyotes overcome their demons in the playoffs and not just beat the Hawks in the first round, but beat the Predators in the second round to advance to the Conference finals. I just hope the Coyotes can give us one final lasting memory that we can appreciate before we have to say goodbye.

BuffaloAZ

Sep 24, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I can’t see anything positive in terms of keeping our team. I’d rather the NHL makes the announcement now rather than string us along the next few months. I may have to take some time away from the NHL after this season; with the lockout and how the league ‘toyed’ with us in Phoenix, they don’t deserve my money or support.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I can’t see anything positive in terms of keeping our team. I’d rather the NHL makes the announcement now rather than string us along the next few months. I may have to take some time away from the NHL after this season; with the lockout and how the league ‘toyed’ with us in Phoenix, they don’t deserve my money or support.

Never gonna happen. As soon as the announcement is made, who is going to buy tickets? Merchandise?

No, it will be made as late as possible in order to maximize any $ that can possibly be grabbed.

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
It's been 3+ years.
A deal could not be made with $308M in public money.
Glendale will certainly not offer up that much money again.
This mess is done.

While I completely understand the desire to cling to whatever sliver of hope the NHL/COG dangle out there, anyone who believes this team is staying is delusional.

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
I've been following this team from the day the Jets left in 1996 until the day the Jets came back. Even last year, with the Jets back, I watched every game of the Coyotes amazing playoff run.

This whole fiasco has had so many twists and turns, it make the head spin. However, with a $308 million subsidy on the table, no one would buy the team. According to one report, Jamison didn't raise a single dollar. I simply can't imagine there being another season in Phoenix unless the new Council decides that $25 million per year is a reasonable cost to keep Westgate afloat. Daly's comment about an alternative plan yesterday was the first shot across the bow IMO.

The whole thing just sucks. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I believe Glendale has been played hard by Bettman, to the tune of $50 million. The last two years have likely been nothing but a placeholder until (a) the well ran dry at City Hall, and (b) a soft landing could be arranged. I think we know that (a) has arrived, and I can't speculate on (b).

zz

Nov 1, 2006
The whole thing just sucks. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I believe Glendale has been played hard by Bettman, to the tune of $50 million. The last two years have likely been nothing but a placeholder until (a) the well ran dry at City Hall, and (b) a soft landing could be arranged. I think we know that (a) has arrived, and I can't speculate on (b).

Also, don't forget the NBC deal. Having 3 franchises in the southwest (Kings, Ducks, Coyotes) helped the league make their case as a national sport. Atlanta was doomed anyway. Sending both the Thrashers and Coyotes to Canada would have sent a terrible message to US broadcasters.

Now with that 10 year TV deal in their pocket, do still hold much weight? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->