This Team

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
So I know a lot of people have opinions about the style of play this team should have in order to be successful.

Wondering.. what elite teams in this league do you want to see Ottawa ultimately mold their style after?

Boston?
Chicago?
Detroit? (usually a top team)
San Jose?
LA?
St. Louis?

Based on all the comments in various threads, it seems like most fans would be happy if Ottawa played a style most similar to Boston but I could be wrong

Just wondering what you all think

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
So I know a lot of people have opinions about the style of play this team should have in order to be successful.

Wondering.. what elite teams in this league do you want to see Ottawa ultimately mold their style after?

Boston?
Chicago?
Detroit? (usually a top team)
San Jose?
LA?
St. Louis?

Based on all the comments in various threads, it seems like most fans would be happy if Ottawa played a style most similar to Boston but I could be wrong

Seriously, we don't have to mold ourselves after any other team. There are many ways to build a contender; no single blueprint is guaranteed success.

I like the direction the Murray's have tried to take the team. Build around the transition, a rush offence that generates scoring chances off odd man rushes and can enter the zone with speed. Have a fourth line that can grind the corners and work the cycle.

The big problem is retrieving the puck at this point. That should improve as our D gain more experience and as Karlsson returns to form.

The Fuhr*

Erik Karlsson is the most dominant possesion defenseman I have ever watched... Before his injury he was a Crosby level game breaker.... I think he returns to that level in another 8-16 months.

I build a team based around speed, defensive IQ and passing... I target big players that can do those things.

Offense by committee
25-25-30
20-25-20
10-10-10
10-5-10
D:50
That's 250 goals

Own the puck 60-65% of the game
Everybody back checks
Everybody skates hard and fast
Quick passes

EK QBs the forwards for half the game... Maybe Ceci develops into the guy who can carry the other half... If not try and acquire a Yandle type.

Team would win games

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Were circa 2006 anaheim.

Cowen=Pronger
Karlsson=Neidermier
Anderson=Giguier
Lehner=Bryzgalof
ect ect

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
id say we trade everyone and get an elite defensive system and only hire one goal scorers to save on the budget.

1 - 1 - 1
1 - 1 - 1
1 - 1 - 1
1 - 1 - 1

1 - 1
1 - 1
1 - 1

thats 21 goals. say we shut out in every game we play we can get a 21 - 0 - 61 record for a 103 point season. we just have to hope the players dont score their 1 goals in the same game.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Play to the strengths of your players. Don't make them fit the system, fit the system to them.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
id say we trade everyone and get an elite defensive system and only hire one goal scorers to save on the budget.

1 - 1 - 1
1 - 1 - 1
1 - 1 - 1
1 - 1 - 1

1 - 1
1 - 1
1 - 1

thats 21 goals. say we shut out in every game we play we can get a 21 - 0 - 61 record for a 103 point season. we just have to hope the players dont score their 1 goals in the same game.

:laugh:

Would that be the first GWG by a goalie in NHL history?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd like to see a fast team, with reasonable size, who have a very high hockey IQ and skill level. I want a bunch of guys who are hard workers, who loathe losing. And guys who are flexible - guys who have enough skill and hockey IQ to play more than one style, and can adapt to the changing philosophy in the NHL.

Basically quick, always moving their feet, aggressive on the puck carrier and in the offensive zone, strong passing (especially coming out of the defensive zone and setting up in the offensive zone and PP) and fun to watch.

edx

Mar 26, 2013
I'd like to see a fast team, with reasonable size, who have a very high hockey IQ and skill level. I want a bunch of guys who are hard workers, who loathe losing. And guys who are flexible - guys who have enough skill and hockey IQ to play more than one style, and can adapt to the changing philosophy in the NHL.

Basically quick, always moving their feet, aggressive on the puck carrier and in the offensive zone, strong passing (especially coming out of the defensive zone and setting up in the offensive zone and PP) and fun to watch.

Who wouldn't love that? But short of the olympic team, I don't think you'll get a full roster of guys like this anywhere, sadly.

In the years where we had Spezza and Fisher as our number 1 and 2 centres, I thought that one of the problems the team had was that the style that best suited one of them didn't suit the other at all well. That made it hard to move wingers up and down, develop a consistent attack, deal with injuries, etc.

I think we are pretty fortunate at the moment that, while Spezza and Turris are quite different players, they are at least close enough that our top lines can have a more consistent style. Add in Karlson, who is a truly elite high-skill player, and I think there is the nucleus of a pretty good puck possession team. So what I'd like to see the Sens model themselves after, to at least some degree, is the classic Detroit teams of the last decade and more.

We were missing three things in that recipe this year, IMO.

1) Steady goal tending. Players have to have confidence that the goalies are at least solid (spectacular shouldn't be required). Sens' goalies were up and down this year, so players inevitably begin to play to prevent goals, rather than to own the puck.

2) Smart defensemen. I mean hockey smart here, the ability to make decisions at high speed, be it from innate hockey smarts or having spent six years playing the same style in the minor leagues so that you are playing the angles when you eat your Cheerios in the morning. We all saw too much of our defense struggling with positioning, failing to adapt to dynamic offenses, and sometimes just looking like they weren't sure what they were doing next (although I thought that last was dropping by the end of the season? Or maybe my standards were slipping). I really think that we were missing Gonchar as much as we were Alfie, a lot of the time. For all his lapses he generally played a pretty smart, aware, game.

3) Consistent identity through the forward lines. The fourth line is never going to be a skilled as the first, but they should be able to play the same style of hockey. Half the time this season it felt--to me at least-- that when our fourth line was on the ice they weren't sure who they were meant to be. Were they supposed to be intimidating the other team? Slowing things down with physical play? Dumping the puck into the other end then keeping it there with aggressive fore-checking? Too often they seemed to decide that two minutes in the penalty box would give them time to think about it, or something. Maybe more than the rest of the team, I think your fourth line needs to be given, and drilled on, a very clear style of play, as they won't usually have the raw talent to improvise successfully.

Of course, that is assuming that we can resign Hemsky and choose to keep Spezza (and that Hemsky is willing to re-sign even if we don't bring back his countryman MM). If that entire line is gone.....forget everything I said. I'm not quite sure the right style then. Maybe it is more opportunistic, with more focus on close play in the neutral zone and on back checking to try and win the puck in hopes of scoring on the resulting rushes? Not sure who you model it on at that point.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Is this Bryan Murray looking for advice ????????????:sarcasm:

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Whatever team plays a high pressure 200 foot game with fast and tenacious forwards.
Team that dont give the other team time to think of puck moving options are the best IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad