This team will not make the play-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Bolded is the case for any "fan" posting negative comments or calling in to 1290 post game.

Look guys, two short seasons ago our team was the Atlanta Thrashers who made the playoffs ONCE in their 14 years as the Thrashers. For the record that one time was as the division champs where they were swept in 4 by the NY Ranges (06-07).

I'm optimistic the guys will find their comfort zone where we continue to put on the clinics we did during that huge road trip run. Once they do, the majority of you naysayers will be back on the "JETS FOR THE CUP" bandwagon.

Until then I'm proud to call that team my home team regardless how frustrating it is to watch them sometimes. There will always be worse, and always be better. We are still 4 points a head, the team knows each game is live or die, we have been there before we can outlast it again.

GO JETS GO! Let's hoist the South Division Banner!

Where did you get this number? :huh: :laugh: The franchise itself hasn't been around that long including these two years in Winnipeg.

But uhhh, yeah, good point otherwise. This franchise has yet to win a playoff game. Hopefully they can change that this year.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Where did you get this number? :huh: :laugh: The franchise itself hasn't been around that long including these two years in Winnipeg.

But uhhh, yeah, good point otherwise. This franchise has yet to win a playoff game. Hopefully they can change that this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Thrashers

My mistake it was 12 years, the franchise was granted in 1997 but began playing in 1999. The wikipedia page says they have been around since 1997? :)

I agree, hopefully they can win one, let's start with getting into the playoffs, then winning one game, then a series, etc, etc.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I have never understood people that will throw their arms up in the air and claim how they "just can't be emotionally invested in their team anymore!" because of how said team is performing, even in the very short term.

Pro sports is the one area of life where slavish loyalty and blind optimism don't hurt you in the least. Slavish loyalty to a team's vision was a bad idea in the middle of the North Atlantic at 3am when the Titanic was going down. Nor would I blame the people on the Hindenburg for jumping off the bandwagon.

But pro sports? What does it cost me to believe or to hope? The whole point of pro sports is as entertainment -- as distraction from the banality of life. A great sports commentator once said that pro sports "was the toy department of life", and I couldn't agree more.

No, I'm not going to tell myself "hey it's good enough having a team back". I'll be the first guy yelling at the TV every time Hockey-Related Ron tries to score, or when Dustin Byfuglien lets us all know exactly how he feels about no-touch icing. But I'm not going to give up on being emotionally invested in the game cause it's too painful.

You know what's painful? Having no team to cheer for for sixteen years. Sixteen years of hockey jerseys with names of the guys who helped you win your fantasy replay league.

You know what's painful? Hockey in towns that haven't had a natural snowfall since the Spanish-American War, where you can get four center ice seats for $20 and they'll throw in four beers, four hot-dogs and a new Toyota Corolla, and they get 500 fans a game.

The Jets struggling against inconsistency, trying to ride the lightning and win the division? That's not painful; that's what pro sports is all about.

So I'm going to be where I'm always going to be: I'll be in my seat, in my jersey, with my beverage, with my unhealthy crush on Stacey Nattrass, screaming out "true north" and screaming at whatever player gets my ire up at the time. If the zepplin's going down this season, then I'm going down with it, singing "GOODNESS, GRACIOUS, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!" all the while.

But if you want to get off the bandwagon? Don't let me stop you from getting me one step closer to lower bowl center-ice tickets.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
you know what's painful? Hockey in towns that haven't had a natural snowfall since the spanish-american war, where you can get four center ice seats for $20 and they'll throw in four beers, four hot-dogs and a new toyota corolla, and they get 500 fans a game.

gold!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
No idea how you can count us out when the team has shown flashes of putting it together for 60 minutes not more than a month ago. Lets just enjoy the ride.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Its tough to predict if the Jets, will make the playoffs. I do think with the Jets, having 4 games this week, it could answer a lot of questions about this team making the playoffs, or not.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I have never understood people that will throw their arms up in the air and claim how they "just can't be emotionally invested in their team anymore!" because of how said team is performing, even in the very short term.

Pro sports is the one area of life where slavish loyalty and blind optimism don't hurt you in the least. Slavish loyalty to a team's vision was a bad idea in the middle of the North Atlantic at 3am when the Titanic was going down. Nor would I blame the people on the Hindenburg for jumping off the bandwagon.

But pro sports? What does it cost me to believe or to hope? The whole point of pro sports is as entertainment -- as distraction from the banality of life. A great sports commentator once said that pro sports "was the toy department of life", and I couldn't agree more.

No, I'm not going to tell myself "hey it's good enough having a team back". I'll be the first guy yelling at the TV every time Hockey-Related Ron tries to score, or when Dustin Byfuglien lets us all know exactly how he feels about no-touch icing. But I'm not going to give up on being emotionally invested in the game cause it's too painful.

You know what's painful? Having no team to cheer for for sixteen years. Sixteen years of hockey jerseys with names of the guys who helped you win your fantasy replay league.

You know what's painful? Hockey in towns that haven't had a natural snowfall since the Spanish-American War, where you can get four center ice seats for $20 and they'll throw in four beers, four hot-dogs and a new Toyota Corolla, and they get 500 fans a game.

The Jets struggling against inconsistency, trying to ride the lightning and win the division? That's not painful; that's what pro sports is all about.

So I'm going to be where I'm always going to be: I'll be in my seat, in my jersey, with my beverage, with my unhealthy crush on Stacey Nattrass, screaming out "true north" and screaming at whatever player gets my ire up at the time. If the zepplin's going down this season, then I'm going down with it, singing "GOODNESS, GRACIOUS, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!" all the while.

But if you want to get off the bandwagon? Don't let me stop you from getting me one step closer to lower bowl center-ice tickets.

That's painful? Geezz... lol

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
That's painful? Geezz... lol

At the most recent Jets/Panthers game in Sunrise, after Florida scored the opening goal, the Florida player jumped into the corner boards to celebrate. The fans in the second row had to lean over the empty seats in front of them to slam on the glass to celebrate. All three of them that did.

If that's not painful for a hockey fan to watch, I don't know what is.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
OK, so, I think we can all see what road this thread is going to head down.

Let's just close it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->