This team will not make the play-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Everyone has to be right.. Even at the expense of predicting your own team's doom.

It's quite the feat to be 4 pts up on the division, this far into the season..

We are in the thick of a playoff hunt, even better than last year. There is very little praise for this team and what they've done so far. Some posters are already planning on jumping ship to support other teams "once we are eliminated"??!? Others still would prefer we lose out and draft higher. Don't even know where to start with some of the fans in 309 yesterday.

Expectations are way too high for this roster, just enjoy the ride! We're still division leaders. If they don't make the playoffs, it's not the end of the world. Life will go on.. As Ian Malcolm said: Life -uhh -Life finds a way

I have chosen blind optimism. Celebrate wins, ignore losses, appreciate this team I did not have two years ago.

As upset as I have been with this team, this is a really level headed, and accurate post.

I guess they just had me believing that they had taken that next step, when in reality they are still in the process of figuring it out. That is more on my and the expecatations I've put on them than it actually is on them.

Go Jets Go!

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Everyone has to be right.. Even at the expense of predicting your own team's doom.

We are in the thick of a playoff hunt, even better than last year.
This is due entirely to our divisional opponents collapsing worse than us. This year, we have 38 points after 36 games, with goals for/against differential of -15. See http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date=03/31/2013&season=20122013&type=con

Last year, we had 39 points after 36 games, and were EVEN in the goals for/against department. See http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date=12/29/2011&season=20112012&type=con

Improvement? What improvement?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't know...
I sometimes think the "weakness" of the SE is over exaggerated.
The problem is it's really closely competitive as all the teams are about par and are all bubble teams, even though some are out-performing others.

VS SE:
WPG 7-7-0
CAR 4-9-0
WSH 9-3-0
TBL 8-3-0 (+7 goal differential)
FLA 4-6-4

Also goal differentials can sometimes be a tad misleading as the are heavily weighted towards blowouts which happen, but not enough to equal out (especially in a shortened season).

That said, I don't think the team is that different than last season, but I thought we were a playoff bubble team last season too.

On average we're a team with decent but not exception depth.
We out-chance and out-shoot our opponents more often than not but not always.
We sometimes win and we sometimes lose.
We have a goaltender suspect to streaks just like others, but on average hasn't been elite.

We're good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to be guaranteed.
That's pretty much the same as every middle 6-10 team in every season since the league has been this size.

Welcome to middle of the road where you are special, just like everyone else.
:sarcasm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know...
I sometimes think the "weakness" of the SE is over exaggerated.
The problem is it's really closely competitive as all the teams are about par and are all bubble teams, even though some are out-performing others.

VS SE:
WPG 7-7-0
CAR 4-9-0
WSH 9-3-0
TBL 8-3-0 (+7 goal differential)
FLA 4-6-4

Also goal differentials can sometimes be a tad misleading as the are heavily weighted towards blowouts which happen, but not enough to equal out (especially in a shortened season).

That said, I don't think the team is that different than last season, but I thought we were a playoff bubble team last season too.

On average we're a team with decent but not exception depth.
We out-chance and out-shoot our opponents more often than not but not always.
We sometimes win and we sometimes lose.
We have a goaltender suspect to streaks just like others, but on average hasn't been elite.

We're good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to be guaranteed.
That's pretty much the same as every middle 6-10 team in every season since the league has been this size.

Welcome to middle of the road where you are special, just like everyone else.
:sarcasm:

I think that is why people have got their hopes up is that maybe this year we could be a 6-10 team (middle third). Historically other than 05-06 & 06-07 this team has always been a bottom third team. Just getting to mediocrity as gotten us all excited.

White Out 403*

This is due entirely to our divisional opponents collapsing worse than us. This year, we have 38 points after 36 games, with goals for/against differential of -15. See http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date=03/31/2013&season=20122013&type=con

Last year, we had 39 points after 36 games, and were EVEN in the goals for/against department. See http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date=12/29/2011&season=20112012&type=con

we would have made the playoffs if not for the late season collapse. I still remember the game vs Carolina at home. If we go on to win that game I think we would have had playoffs last year. The team lost a lead late and it crippled the going forward, no confidence.

All we can hope is that they've learned some mental toughness. I just booked my trip to Washington to see them April 23rd. I have faith and I hope to god to see the Jets clinch a playoff spot with a win that night. I'll probably shed a happy tear.

Or a sad one. With this team who knows? :P

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
we would have made the playoffs if not for the late season collapse. I still remember the game vs Carolina at home. If we go on to win that game I think we would have had playoffs last year. The team lost a lead late and it crippled the going forward, no confidence.

All we can hope is that they've learned some mental toughness. I just booked my trip to Washington to see them April 23rd. I have faith and I hope to god to see the Jets clinch a playoff spot with a win that night. I'll probably shed a happy tear.

Or a sad one. With this team who knows? :P

Ugh. That was my first Jets game. Could not believe we lost that one :(

If we win the two NY games, we are in a great position IMO, we would be 7 points up on 8th and 8 points up on the division, this week could almost be the telling sign weather we get in or not IMO

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

We are in the thick of a playoff hunt, even better than last year. There is very little praise for this team and what they've done so far. Some posters are already planning on jumping ship to support other teams "once we are eliminated"??!? Others still would prefer we lose out and draft higher. Don't even know where to start with some of the fans in 309 yesterday.

Expectations are way too high for this roster, just enjoy the ride! We're still division leaders. If they don't make the playoffs, it's not the end of the world. Life will go on.. As Ian Malcolm said: Life -uhh -Life finds a way

I have chosen blind optimism. Celebrate wins, ignore losses, appreciate this team I did not have two years ago.

There you go lad.....pitch perfect!!

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Philadelphia and Washington go to OT; :cry: They both get points out of their game. The analysis at http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Winnipeg.html shows a very sharp "cliff" for playoff chances...
  • less than 1% with 46 points at end of season
  • more than 99% with 54 points at end of season
  • more than 50% with 51 points at end of season

Points Minus Games Played (to account for games in hand)

TEAM | PMGP | Comments
Pittsburgh|20
Montreal|15
Boston|14
Ottawa|9
Toronto|8
New Jersey|4
Winnipeg|2
NY Rangers|1
Carolina|1
NY Islanders|0
Washington|-1
Philadelphia|-2
Tampa Bay|-3
Buffalo|-4
Florida|-8

And for your entertainment, "Next Year Land"

TEAM | PMGP | Comments | TEAM | PMGP | Comments
Anaheim|16||Chicago|20
Vancouver|9||Minnesota|10
Los Angeles|8||St Louis|3
San Jose|6||Winnipeg|2|17 ROW
Edmonton|1||Dallas|2|15 ROW
Phoenix|-1||Nashville|0
Calgary|-3||Colorado|-6

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
People can call me negative all they want and I couldn't care less. There's nothing that I've seen from this team over the last number of games that gives me any confidence that the Jets will get in.

They're tied for most games played in the conference and as the Jets are fading quickly, other teams are starting to come on. Canes are only 4 pts. back and three games in hand and Caps are only 5 pts. back with 2 games in hand. Philly, T.B., and Buffalo are all showing signs of life and the Jets not only get outscored by the Caps (13th in the conference at the time) 11-1 over two games on home ice but made the Caps look like an all-star team and the Jets an ECHL line-up.

Seemingly every time they have a game in which they can really make a statement such as a CBC match-up or big divisional matchup, they come out flat and are trailing within minutes. They are garbage at home and even in games that they've won recently, (i.e. Tampa on Sunday) they've been outplayed and relied on Pavalec. Speaking of Pavelec, by necessity they've ridden him into the ground and maybe he's still fresh and maybe he's worn out.

There is d-men to be had on the market at the moment that could be good utility players and stabalize the bluline and they'd still be under the cap, (ie. Ballard, Alberts, Leopold, Huskins) but they seem to be so ultra committed to Postma, Meech, and Clitsome that they're willing to live or die with them. When I saw Kulda resigned I almost couldn't believe it. Time to bring back Festerling and Flood too I suppose, cross our fingers and hope for the best.

The amount of times that I hear people seem to give them a free-pass as if they are some kind of expansion team with an eye on the future is ridiculous. The nucleus of this team have been together for three or four years now and the way they've played the last couple of weeks minus the win in Carolina sure doesn't bode well for them making the playoffs.

They're upcoming schedule looks weak but so does their line-up.

Most NHL Winnipeg fans knew that they were getting the Atlanta Thrashers and not the Pittsburgh Penguins or the
Chicago Blackhawks and that they needed to be patient and it would take this team 3-4 years to be competive. This team in Atlanta was so mismanaged rushing young prospects so they could save money and had more head coaches than Kim Kardashian had boyfriends. This team has yet to have proper training(last year the team moving was rush rush and the lockout this year).This offseason TNSE and Chevy have to put their stamp on this team.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

You're taking it a bit out of context. That was when we peaked in points per games played after an extremely hot December that couldn't be sustained. We had a lot of home games as well, and an easy travel schedule up to that point. Then January hit and the wheels started slowly falling off.

Now we're in the opposite position, coming out of the harder part of our schedule heading into the easier part. That's why you can't compare two points in different seasons.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

The Jets have not fed off of the weaker SE teams this season.

Maybe they aren't truly 3rd in the conference but they are in the top eight at the moment.

The team MAY make the playoffs this year (I'm still fairly confident that they will tbh). At the start of the season I didn't think that would make the playoffs so this season has been a plus for me, not a minus.

It amazes me that "fans" of the team don't seem to have listened to, or read, any of the interviews with Chevy and Chipman that have stated clearly that the team will be taking a slow and steady route to improvement. If people are expecting blockbuster trades and meteoric rise in the standings then they are supporting the wrong team.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

if your going to try and compare this seasons performance to last years legitimately, don't you think you should use percent of season, not games played? That seems like a pretty basic adjustment that needs to be made.

what was our point percentage/etc after 61 games last year, cause that's proportionally where we are in the schedule, and i have feeling that will show a better adjustment as it will include that godawful february.

not sure where you guys look this up i was only able to find us at 52 gp, which we had us at a slighlty lower point percentage (like .5%)

i don't know where you gusy look up those historic numbers, but check for 61 games played, should be early march.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Waking up this morning and reading some of the level-headed posts here have talked me down from the ledge :) The idea that we were in a postion that I didn't expect us to be in, made me forget how far we've come and where we were exected to be.

Great posts from some of you!

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets better be drafting top 5 if they do not make the play off,

A McKinnon, barkov, or Drouin would be great, a monahan or lindholm will do also..

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

A McKinnon, barkov, or Drouin would be great, a monahan or lindholm will do also..

Outside of a lottery win, I think that ship has sailed. The team has played itself out of the top pick range even if they were to miss the playoffs.

If the Jets miss the playoffs, they're likely looking at picking somewhere between 11 - 14. MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Monahan and Lindholm will all be long gone by then.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

We are currently sitting in 14th place out of 30 teams. We would have to utterly collapse now to get in the bottom 5 and I just don't think it is plausible. Although a top 5 pick would be appealing that ship has sailed now IMHO.

The only way we get a top 5 pick is to miss the playoffs and win the draft lottery or to make a trade of some sort.

Edit: looks like untouchable beat me to the punch.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If we do end up in the 11-14 range (I believe we will make playoffs) there are still some strong names. I wouldn't mind a Zadorov or Shinkaruk.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
People can call me negative all they want and I couldn't care less. There's nothing that I've seen from this team over the last number of games that gives me any confidence that the Jets will get in.

They're tied for most games played in the conference and as the Jets are fading quickly, other teams are starting to come on. Canes are only 4 pts. back and three games in hand and Caps are only 5 pts. back with 2 games in hand. Philly, T.B., and Buffalo are all showing signs of life and the Jets not only get outscored by the Caps (13th in the conference at the time) 11-1 over two games on home ice but made the Caps look like an all-star team and the Jets an ECHL line-up.

Seemingly every time they have a game in which they can really make a statement such as a CBC match-up or big divisional matchup, they come out flat and are trailing within minutes. They are garbage at home and even in games that they've won recently, (i.e. Tampa on Sunday) they've been outplayed and relied on Pavalec. Speaking of Pavelec, by necessity they've ridden him into the ground and maybe he's still fresh and maybe he's worn out.

There is d-men to be had on the market at the moment that could be good utility players and stabalize the bluline and they'd still be under the cap, (ie. Ballard, Alberts, Leopold, Huskins) but they seem to be so ultra committed to Postma, Meech, and Clitsome that they're willing to live or die with them. When I saw Kulda resigned I almost couldn't believe it. Time to bring back Festerling and Flood too I suppose, cross our fingers and hope for the best.

The amount of times that I hear people seem to give them a free-pass as if they are some kind of expansion team with an eye on the future is ridiculous. The nucleus of this team have been together for three or four years now and the way they've played the last couple of weeks minus the win in Carolina sure doesn't bode well for them making the playoffs.

They're upcoming schedule looks weak but so does their line-up.

Personally I wouldn't apply the "negative nellie" tag to you, but others will (and without reading the whole thread before commenting, probably have).

Noel is limited in what he can do with basically 4 top 6 forwards and a collection of spare parts. I'd put Wright and Slater a step above "spare part" designation personally, but in terms of results, that's what the bottom 3/4 of the forward complient have been delivering. Defence top 4 is fine... but any time you have Clitsome playing serious minutes anywhere, well....

There have been opportunities to improve the team, I agree. None have been taken so far. The opposing view will say "how do you know Chevy hasn't been trying?". True... but this is a results oriented business. 30 teams don't win the Stanley Cup for just playing the regular season with any old record.

I'd say the recent play has done very little to bolster expectations for making it to the post season... all the games in hand are huge. Last year the team was in 7th/8th with everyone having games in hand on us... by the time it evened out the team fell to 9th/10th place.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
As upset as I have been with this team, this is a really level headed, and accurate post.

I guess they just had me believing that they had taken that next step, when in reality they are still in the process of figuring it out. That is more on my and the expecatations I've put on them than it actually is on them.

Go Jets Go!
Bolded is the case for any "fan" posting negative comments or calling in to 1290 post game.

Look guys, two short seasons ago our team was the Atlanta Thrashers who made the playoffs ONCE in their 14 years as the Thrashers. For the record that one time was as the division champs where they were swept in 4 by the NY Ranges (06-07).

I'm optimistic the guys will find their comfort zone where we continue to put on the clinics we did during that huge road trip run. Once they do, the majority of you naysayers will be back on the "JETS FOR THE CUP" bandwagon.

Until then I'm proud to call that team my home team regardless how frustrating it is to watch them sometimes. There will always be worse, and always be better. We are still 4 points a head, the team knows each game is live or die, we have been there before we can outlast it again.

GO JETS GO! Let's hoist the South Division Banner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad