This team will not make the play-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
People can call me negative all they want and I couldn't care less. There's nothing that I've seen from this team over the last number of games that gives me any confidence that the Jets will get in.

They're tied for most games played in the conference and as the Jets are fading quickly, other teams are starting to come on. Canes are only 4 pts. back and three games in hand and Caps are only 5 pts. back with 2 games in hand. Philly, T.B., and Buffalo are all showing signs of life and the Jets not only get outscored by the Caps (13th in the conference at the time) 11-1 over two games on home ice but made the Caps look like an all-star team and the Jets an ECHL line-up.

Seemingly every time they have a game in which they can really make a statement such as a CBC match-up or big divisional matchup, they come out flat and are trailing within minutes. They are garbage at home and even in games that they've won recently, (i.e. Tampa on Sunday) they've been outplayed and relied on Pavalec. Speaking of Pavelec, by necessity they've ridden him into the ground and maybe he's still fresh and maybe he's worn out.

There is d-men to be had on the market at the moment that could be good utility players and stabalize the bluline and they'd still be under the cap, (ie. Ballard, Alberts, Leopold, Huskins) but they seem to be so ultra committed to Postma, Meech, and Clitsome that they're willing to live or die with them. When I saw Kulda resigned I almost couldn't believe it. Time to bring back Festerling and Flood too I suppose, cross our fingers and hope for the best.

The amount of times that I hear people seem to give them a free-pass as if they are some kind of expansion team with an eye on the future is ridiculous. The nucleus of this team have been together for three or four years now and the way they've played the last couple of weeks minus the win in Carolina sure doesn't bode well for them making the playoffs.

They're upcoming schedule looks weak but so does their line-up.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
meh its really too tough to predict

you may be right. but this team is so streaky. if we go into a slump we could easily slide off the map

but we could just as easily go on another 7-2 type run, and lock up a playoff spot before the last week...

i hate that we are so inconsistent. its why i believe were not a contender (amongst other reasons) but its also the reason i wont write them off. its all about getting hot at the right time, and we are capable of that

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Look at our remaining schedule:

Mon, 1 Apr 2013 Jets Rangers
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 Jets Islanders
Thu, 4 Apr 2013 Jets Canadiens
Sat, 6 Apr 2013 Flyers Jets
Tue, 9 Apr 2013 Sabres Jets
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 Panthers Jets
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 Lightning Jets
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 Hurricanes Jets
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 Islanders Jets
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 Jets Sabres
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 Jets Capitals
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 Canadiens Jets

12 games, 5 on the road. The road games are all relatively easy miles wise. There's only two road trips left. The majority of the games are against non-playoff teams, and the last game the habs will probably sit their stars in preparation for the playoffs. We're sitting very pretty schedule wise. It was completely opposite last year. We were only a point or two above the line at most, had 3+ more GP than those below us, and the majority of our remaining games were against tough teams on the road.

We do have drastic systems improvements. That being said we still have areas to improve in the system and on the roster. Most importantly seems to be our drive.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for sharing your opinion. You at this point basically have a 50% chance of being right.
I think they will make the playoffs, but I won't go in depth here, I'll let you read it in the thread I'm making to share it.

JetsTrueNorth

Feb 16, 2013
I've always bought into the saying: "Once you make the playoffs, anything can happen".

Look at the L.A. Kings last year, and Edmonton years ago. Both teams finished 8th, made the playoffs and eventually won the cup.

That being said, I'd have to admit that the Jets don't have anywhere near the heart or energy that L.A. or Edmonton had during the cup run.

The biggest problem with the Jets is the roster has far too many "scraps" and "floaters". These are players that show up for 1 game and play great, only to disappear for 4,5,6 or 7.

The usual suspects are Hainsey, Antropov, Wellwood, Miettenen, and Clitsome. However some of our "best" players also fall into this category. Guys like Little, Jokinen and even Byfuglien just don't do enough on a consistent basis to keep this team competitive.

Trade deadline will come and go, and I really doubt Chevy will do anything (and that's fine)

The draft will come and we'll load up on some decent draft picks to help out our team for years to come.

But the best part, is that guys like Antropov, Hainsey, Wellwood & Miettinen will not (should not) be offered new contracts in Winnipeg.

StaticPrevails

Oct 6, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not too worried about the results of yesterdays game. It was an afternoon tilt; we're never good at those.

Last edited:

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Might wanna figure out that afternoon game thing pretty soon, I'm thinking. They count for points in the standings, even if sleepy ol' Buff isn't always fully awake yet.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Look at our remaining schedule:

Mon, 1 Apr 2013 Jets Rangers
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 Jets Islanders
Thu, 4 Apr 2013 Jets Canadiens
Sat, 6 Apr 2013 Flyers Jets
Tue, 9 Apr 2013 Sabres Jets
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 Panthers Jets
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 Lightning Jets
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 Hurricanes Jets
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 Islanders Jets
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 Jets Sabres
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 Jets Capitals
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 Canadiens Jets

12 games, 5 on the road. The road games are all relatively easy miles wise. There's only two road trips left. The majority of the games are against non-playoff teams, and the last game the habs will probably sit their stars in preparation for the playoffs. We're sitting very pretty schedule wise. It was completely opposite last year. We were only a point or two above the line at most, had 3+ more GP than those below us, and the majority of our remaining games were against tough teams on the road.

We do have drastic systems improvements. That being said we still have areas to improve in the system and on the roster. Most importantly seems to be our drive.

The schedule doesn't really matter. At this point the Jets need some help because they are right on the line if you account for the games in hand. More importantly, they need to play well. There are too many teams fighting for a few spots to think that you can sneak in winning 2 and losing 2 the rest of the way. The Jets haven't shown an ability to rise to the occasion, especially at home, until they do that, there will be a healthy amount of doubt.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I've always bought into the saying: "Once you make the playoffs, anything can happen".

Look at the L.A. Kings last year, and Edmonton years ago. Both teams finished 8th, made the playoffs and eventually won the cup.

That being said, I'd have to admit that the Jets don't have anywhere near the heart or energy that L.A. or Edmonton had during the cup run.

The biggest problem with the Jets is the roster has far too many "scraps" and "floaters". These are players that show up for 1 game and play great, only to disappear for 4,5,6 or 7.

The usual suspects are Hainsey, Antropov, Wellwood, Miettenen, and Clitsome. However some of our "best" players also fall into this category. Guys like Little, Jokinen and even Byfuglien just don't do enough on a consistent basis to keep this team competitive.

Trade deadline will come and go, and I really doubt Chevy will do anything (and that's fine)

The draft will come and we'll load up on some decent draft picks to help out our team for years to come.

But the best part, is that guys like Antropov, Hainsey, Wellwood & Miettinen will not (should not) be offered new contracts in Winnipeg.

Pretty sure the Oilers did not win the cup that year. It was Carolina.

That said, I can see this team making the playoffs and bowing out to the LEAFS. Wouldn't that be fun listening to LEAFS nation here on these boards brag?:pullhair::damnpc::baghead:

seasontixholder*

Don't forget that Carolina has to play Montreal once, Ottawa once, Pitt twice and Boston twice. They have a much tougher schedule than us.

Back in the Bigs

and lovin' it !!
Oct 17, 2006
it's going to go right down to the wire ...Jets need to find a way to get 3 points on the road this week, and then win 4 of the 6 in a row at home....
good chance the division winner is the only team from the SE that is getting in this year, so hopefully that's our woefully inconsistent Jets

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
I don't know why people always bring up the LA Kings last year as proof that all you simply have to do is make it. The Oilers are a better comparison I guess because they got hot, but the LA Kings were contenders who underachieved all season and got their act together right before the playoffs started.

This team could make the playoffs, but really I think what we're seeing right now IS the Winnipeg Jets and unless they start playing over their heads again they won't hold on to their spot.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
They are almost too inconsistent right now to predict anything better than .500 hockey the rest of the way. That may be enough to get in, it may not. Based on their latest trend, they could well go on this road trip and take 3 or 4 of a possible 6 points, then return for a nice 6 game home stand at what seems like the most perfect possible time ... and totally underwhelm. It just infuriates me that they have become such a passive, ineffective home team. Its almost like the players are the only ones in the whole rink who are oblivious to the energy and excitement meant specifically for THEM.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Jets are in an a truly awful division so they still have a legitimate shot of making it into the playoffs if they can find a way to win at home in this last stretch.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
This is a one line team and that is why they are inconsistent. Wheeler, Little and Ladd are always on. They are burnt out! They get energized somewhat in stretches and that is when the team is successful. Even if they make the palyoffs, they are not going anywhere. LA had a team abundant with talent and so was Carolina and Edmonton in the other scenarios mentioned above. We have one line and at times they overachieve. We would have been better off not to contend for a playoff spot and go for a higher draft pick again this year.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Like some of you, I say it's 50/50. Didn't someone say that the 3 games in hand for the canes, 1 is against Pittsburgh and 1 against boston? Correct me if I'm wrong though. Both new york teams are tied at 8/9 with 35 points and we play them both this week. So I don't think the SE is the only to make the playoffs. But it is the only way for us to win a round or two IMO.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Everyone has to be right.. Even at the expense of predicting your own team's doom.

It's quite the feat to be 4 pts up on the division, this far into the season..

We are in the thick of a playoff hunt, even better than last year. There is very little praise for this team and what they've done so far. Some posters are already planning on jumping ship to support other teams "once we are eliminated"??!? Others still would prefer we lose out and draft higher. Don't even know where to start with some of the fans in 309 yesterday.

Expectations are way too high for this roster, just enjoy the ride! We're still division leaders. If they don't make the playoffs, it's not the end of the world. Life will go on.. As Ian Malcolm said: Life -uhh -Life finds a way

I have chosen blind optimism. Celebrate wins, ignore losses, appreciate this team I did not have two years ago.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Exactly.

I said that this team would likely make the playoffs at #7-8 not #3, or just miss it... mostly depending on Pavelec.
Number 3 would just be a bonus :)

True that.
Pav's SV% this season is pretty much dead-on his career average (.905 v .907), with streaks of brilliance interspersed with mediocrity. The Jets are higher in the standings mostly because our divisional partners are also mediocre.
If Pavs gives us >.915 for the next 12 games, we will be successful; if not, we could well be sunk.
Try not to see this as a bash-Pavs post. it's as factual as it gets and no different from what many have been saying all along.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Everyone has to be right.. Even at the expense of predicting your own team's doom.

We are in the thick of a playoff hunt, even better than last year. There is very little praise for this team and what they've done so far. Some posters are already planning on jumping ship to support other teams "once we are eliminated"??!? Others still would prefer we lose out and draft higher. Don't even know where to start with some of the fans in 309 yesterday.

Expectations are way too high for this roster, just enjoy the ride! We're still division leaders. If they don't make the playoffs, it's not the end of the world. Life will go on.. As Ian Malcolm said: Life -uhh -Life finds a way

I have chosen blind optimism. Celebrate wins, ignore losses, appreciate this team I did not have two years ago.
Good analogy and view of this whole situation! Enjoy the ride everyone..

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Good analysis and take on things - agree completely.

Earlier in the year, someone questioned why I cheered for the team when they were dead last in the Eastern standings. For me, it's because I want them to succeed. Still 1st in the division, and still have their destiny in their hands. Perhaps they don't make it - no matter, I'll still cheer, and hope for better next year.

It's going to be an interesting ride - if they made it easy, then they wouldn't be a young, sometimes exciting team.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
People can call me negative all they want and I couldn't care less. There's nothing that I've seen from this team over the last number of games that gives me any confidence that the Jets will get in.

They're tied for most games played in the conference and as the Jets are fading quickly, other teams are starting to come on. Canes are only 4 pts. back and three games in hand and Caps are only 5 pts. back with 2 games in hand. Philly, T.B., and Buffalo are all showing signs of life and the Jets not only get outscored by the Caps (13th in the conference at the time) 11-1 over two games on home ice but made the Caps look like an all-star team and the Jets an ECHL line-up.

Seemingly every time they have a game in which they can really make a statement such as a CBC match-up or big divisional matchup, they come out flat and are trailing within minutes. They are garbage at home and even in games that they've won recently, (i.e. Tampa on Sunday) they've been outplayed and relied on Pavalec. Speaking of Pavelec, by necessity they've ridden him into the ground and maybe he's still fresh and maybe he's worn out.

There is d-men to be had on the market at the moment that could be good utility players and stabalize the bluline and they'd still be under the cap, (ie. Ballard, Alberts, Leopold, Huskins) but they seem to be so ultra committed to Postma, Meech, and Clitsome that they're willing to live or die with them. When I saw Kulda resigned I almost couldn't believe it. Time to bring back Festerling and Flood too I suppose, cross our fingers and hope for the best.

The amount of times that I hear people seem to give them a free-pass as if they are some kind of expansion team with an eye on the future is ridiculous. The nucleus of this team have been together for three or four years now and the way they've played the last couple of weeks minus the win in Carolina sure doesn't bode well for them making the playoffs.

They're upcoming schedule looks weak but so does their line-up.

You could have saved yourself the time. The "last number" of games is pretty vague and probably for a reason. We've had lots of off games the last two weeks but we also worked hard enough to be in the position where a loss doesn't lose us a playoff start. It's called a cold streak man. No one's expecting a long Cup run so settle down while the team actually gets some experience in meaningful situations.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg

Great post, I'd rate it up if that were possible! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->