this team sucks & Guru's "It's not the defense"

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The next month looks easy too. Boston, Nashville, and Washington might give us trouble, but Florida a couple times, the Islanders a couple times. Buffalo, Philly, NJ... Plenty of home games too (although that hasn't mattered). Either way, they need to turn it around.

isles aren't easy imo. up there with caps.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'd prolly replace Babs with Blashill this summer, Babs is a great coach. This I truly believe. But so many players produce when they leave Detroit and struggle in Detroit. I'll always support Babs, but I think his time has expired with the club. Buy out Mule this summer. He's not necessarily terrible, but the duration of his contract hurts. Waive Sammy and Cleary, call up Nyquist and Ferraro, look to upgrade the defense at the deadline, even if it means trade one or two prospects. And I'll feel better.

Last edited:

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
The team has no secondary scoring. The defense will be fine when E and Smith get back, just like it was last year. Weiss has been a bust, Alfredsson has been streaky and needs a haircut, Franzen has been his typical floater self. Cleary has been useless. Nyquist is rotting in Grand Rapids because of Cleary. Ideally I'd love this lineup...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Eaves/Glendenning

Kronwall-Ericsson
Kindl-Dekeyser
Smith-QuinceyAlmquist/Oullet

Too bad we will never get it unless we make the playoffs...

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
When this team pulls their heads out and pays attention to the details, they're pretty decent.

They're not good enough to phone it in and still win.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's sort of funny how the Griffins are easily the highest scoring AHL team, but yet the Wings can't seem to find that 3rd goal. One might think there a way to transfer some of the scoring from one team to another.

I think his name is Nyquist? Gu-stav?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Bring up Nyquist
Get rid of Quincey and Cleary
Fire Holland and hire Stevie

I can dream can't I.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
0-3 with smith out. I know it doesn't say much other than he doesn't deserve all the blame he was getting. Kids young. Quincey. The "veteran"..... That cap hit has to go. Seriously. More than Sammy's.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It's sort of funny how the Griffins are easily the highest scoring AHL team, but yet the Wings can't seem to find that 3rd goal. One might think there a way to transfer some of the scoring from one team to another.

Neither seen nor heard.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Buffalo and Panthers will be cleaning house soon so they are great trade partners.
Watch Holland want Kopecky back, or Matthias or Leino, ugh.
Seriously I wonder if we could find cap room for Campbell in trade.
Steve Ott would be a great trade acquistion but I know already Babcock would rarely play him just like he rarely played Toots.
Kindl, Quincey and Lashoff on defense won't allow Wings to win many game bottom line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Babcock also hinted this yesterday before the Tampa game. I saw a quote on Twitter something like "Our farm affiliate has to find a different league to play right now."

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If we want to make the playoffs this year we need to break up z and d very soon. Assuming that weiss and franzen come back on time with no regression injuries I believe we need to ice the following :

Bert-Dats-Alfie
Z-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Andy-Nyquist
Miller-Helm-Abby
Eaves and sammy (**** this guy) as back ups

Waive cleary.

Kronwall-Dekeyser
Ericcsson-Smith
Kindl- Xo (maybe flip flop them if kindl has more off wing exp)
Lashoff

Trade quincey to one of any teams that have cap room or waive him (edm, fla,, buffalo or one of those types) hell give them a 2nd or 3rd rounder to compensate get the ****er off the roster immediatly.

If we our over the cap fine take the cap violation penalty for ****ed up roster management and accept it, own it, and change the team for the better. Ice a product that is actually worth watching and not this current **** storm. Leaders willingly accept when they have made errors and take the costs of doing so in stride to bring back a worthwhile position.

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
Even if Weiss and Franzen get back and play as well as they know how, we still have to split up Hank and Dats in order to make the playoffs? I don't think so. If Weiss and Franzen come back and still can't put up points, then it's time to look at splitting them, sure.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
What is the only constant with our line up? Answer is first line is producing and nothing else is.

While the first line is enjoyable to watch if we want to magically fix the second or third line lack of production we need to insert z and d into differant lines to get them going. Why was the third line of last year all but ignored? You know the young and speedy line that feasted on third pairing d's of other teams. We cannot play against top talent with only one line working and hope to win in a seven game series scenario.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This is the 3rd OT game we have lost due to Quincey alone.

First time Quincey in 4on4 hockey pinched TWICE… not once, they almost scored on the first pinch only later to score on the 2nd pinch

The 2nd Game, Quincey again on the ice… can't remember it exactly but pretty sure it was a screened shot.

This game Quincey gets stripped behind the net when any kind of half ass dump could have been performed.

Quincey has stopped the game from going to a shootout 3x. Detroit should be able to win shootouts considering their talent level in the "skills competition".

Thus Quincey should not be playing in the OT periods.

I don't like to pile on players but this is getting pretty blatant. I was thinking with 1 minute left this game… BEFORE IT HAPPENED… now now quincey, don't you farming blow another game…. And then he did.
I am quite upset with quincey.

He is the 2nd highest paid defenseman on this team. Considering the relatively "Decent" play we have gotten from Ouellet and Almquist, and their cheaper options should provide at worst equivalent defensive play. I would expect slightly better. I am totally ok with "Ian White-ing" Quincey after this year. Please do not resign this bum!

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
What is the only constant with our line up? Answer is first line is producing and nothing else is.

Right, that's mostly because of the unproductive play of Weiss and Franzen. But if those guys come back and get on a 50-point pace, why would we split up Hank and Dats? Heck, for as bad as we've been, we're still 4th in the conference. If Weiss and Franzen start playing better, what makes you think we'll fall to 9th? Doesn't make sense.

While the first line is enjoyable to watch if we want to magically fix the second or third line lack of production we need to insert z and d into differant lines to get them going. Why was the third line of last year all but ignored? You know the young and speedy line that feasted on third pairing d's of other teams. We cannot play against top talent with only one line working and hope to win in a seven game series scenario.

But your premise included Weiss and Franzen playing productively. If they do that, then the 2nd line is fixed.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Right, that's mostly because of the unproductive play of Weiss and Franzen. But if those guys come back and get on a 50-point pace, why would we split up Hank and Dats? Heck, for as bad as we've been, we're still 4th in the conference. If Weiss and Franzen start playing better, what makes you think we'll fall to 9th? Doesn't make sense.

But your premise included Weiss and Franzen playing productively. If they do that, then the 2nd line is fixed.

Those two have a much better probability of producing immediately if they are given one of the two top ten playmakers in the league on are team in my eyes. Hopefully they don't have to be keep away from each other permanently but for the time being when they return I believe they would be better now with z as a linemate. And I for one can live with z's goal production slipping if it means getting two people going.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Kenny is hurting this team by not having Nyquist up here...looks more obvious when you're down Mule and Weiss. They're a one line team. Hanging onto players that you can't get value for and keeping off a player everyone with two eyes can tell you can help this team is the ultimate in stubborn. Gus has outgrown playing in Grand Rapids.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
No time for panic . good teams will play better after Olympics . there is always something good is going : Helm getting better , Bert getting better , Tatar still learning how to be NHLer . We have solid goalies. It is all not to bad , team will get better before playoff

Can't you say the same thing for most teams? That they will likely get better as guys come back from injury and get into game shape, and young guys get more experience?

The Wings aren't the only team with injuries to key guys and trying to bring along a few younger players... almost every team goes thru that every year.

Babcock also hinted this yesterday before the Tampa game. I saw a quote on Twitter something like "Our farm affiliate has to find a different league to play right now."

I'd love to think that it was a shots-fired situation from Babs directed at Kenny for not having Gus up full-time yet. I doubt that's the case, but I really want that to be true.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
This team is very hard to watch right now. The games are completely boring and the defensive breakdowns are beyond bad. I know the "in" thing is to trash Cleary but our two new guys aren't doing so hot. Weiss especially.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This team is very hard to watch right now. The games are completely boring and the defensive breakdowns are beyond bad. I know the "in" thing is to trash Cleary but our two new guys aren't doing so hot. Weiss especially.
To be fair Weiss was starting to look better the last few, hopefully this groin issue doesn't set him back. Alfie's not a problem but he's 40, we shouldn't expect him to be a ppg player. Ideally he's on a 3rd line and 1st PP, or on Z&Ds wing if Bert slows down or is injured.

But I agree, this team isn't very fun to watch outside of the 1st line and the occasional Tatar glimpse. I really want to see us try to use our skill again, having Almqvist and Nyquist on the team seems a no-brainer to me. Stop trying to be something we're not. We are a skill team, a soft, puck possession team. And we used to be a dominating team with that philosophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->