this team sucks & Guru's "It's not the defense"

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Holland would move the pick for a late first plus a second. Like every draft.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm surprised to see how many people are zeroing in on the Wings defensemen. They're struggling largely because they're being put in bad situations far more frequently than normal. And that's happening because of the forwards. It's almost like the effect you see in the NHL, where the offense is so bad that the defense has to play 2/3 of the game and then gets abused.

The forward corps on this team is currently scary. And not in a good way. I was hoping Halloween was over :cry:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It looked like he slightly redirected it on the replay. Perhaps not.

Maybe, I didn't examine it too closely, but it looked to me like he was letting it go to Hank because he knew he was open behind him, white Dats had a guy on his back.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'm surprised to see how many people are zeroing in on the Wings defensemen. They're struggling largely because they're being put in bad situations far more frequently than normal. And that's happening because of the forwards. It's almost like the effect you see in the NHL, where the offense is so bad that the defense has to play 2/3 of the game and then gets abused.

The forward corps on this team is currently scary. And not in a good way. I was hoping Halloween was over :cry:

Good. Glad you also see this. The D is fine and once Big E comes back it will get better. My only issue with the D is Quincey and Lashoff. Would much rather roll with Smith and XO/Almquist.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I'll never be comfortable with our D as long as Quincey stays in the top 4.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

No question that the D would be much better off with a good puck possession offense playing in front of them. I think that'd be the case for every defense corps. But at best that would just be masking the shortcomings of what is an average at best (below average IMO) group of D.

Long term I'd like to see the D improve and basically not suck in their own zone. But the offense should be easier to improve this season, so let's see that happen first.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
The problem is definitely the defense. No doubt, the offense has issues as well, but the defense cannot break the puck out of the zone. They are constantly turning it over.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
Quincey is the most useless player ever. He does nothing but take penalties and turn the puck over at the worst possible time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

The D couldn't move the puck up well enough when the forwards were playing better. Right now, though, I don't think you're wrong in blaming anyone for playing poorly. The forwards have been bad. The defencemen have been bad. It's just crap from front to back.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
No question that the D would be much better off with a good puck possession offense playing in front of them. I think that'd be the case for every defense corps. But at best that would just be masking the shortcomings of what is an average at best (below average IMO) group of D.

They are average-to-below-average right now, I agree. Going forward, they will be better. Ericsson will be a big upgrade over Lashoff. Quincey and Kindl will hopefully see their minutes go down a little. I think with everyone healthy, they can be pretty decent. After all, they were one of the better defense groups in the league last year, with basically the same guys. And Ouellet may just surprise all of us this season by grabbing a permanent spot. It's a small sample size, but he's been one of our 6 best defenseman this season, imo. He could solidify the 3rd pair by the end of the year.

Long term I'd like to see the D improve and basically not suck in their own zone. But the offense should be easier to improve this season, so let's see that happen first.

Will the offense be easier to fix? Maybe. I think Nyquist will be an easy and obvious upgrade when he gets here. But beyond that? We're hoping Weiss and Franzen can put up more offense. Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. After that?

I like guys like Andersson, Eaves, Miller, and Glendening as 4th-liners. And I can handle Cleary and Abdelkader if they're on the 4th line. But that's 6 guys who can't possess the puck. I don't necessarily wish for Flip and Brunner back, but losing them no doubt hurt our puck possession ability.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The D couldn't move the puck up well enough when the forwards were playing better. Right now, though, I don't think you're wrong in blaming anyone for playing poorly. The forwards have been bad. The defencemen have been bad. It's just crap from front to back.

Like I said earlier, the defense has been bad, no doubt. Quincey and Kindl do not make this team better, and they can't be replaced soon enough for my money. They were both awful tonight, and the defense's inability to move the puck was on full display in this game. But from a big picture POV, long-term, I'm much more worried about the offense. This same defense was very good last year. It's the offense that has changed. The ability to possess the puck and not constantly turn it over has faded. The defense is having to play more in the defensive zone.

But I would like to see better puck movement from the blueline, even if this same group was acceptable in that facet last season.

Puck-moving defensemen and puck-possession forwards from the prospect pool can't get here soon enough. I've never been one to cry for the prospects to get to Detroit much sooner than they actually do, but I'm eager to see puck movement and puck possession added from guys like Nyquist, Ouellet, Jurco, Sproul, and Jarnkrok.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
And there we are, still in 4th place (with 1-2 more games played than most teams, but still).

Not sure if we're not that bad, or the East is terrible.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
No time for panic . good teams will play better after Olympics . there is always something good is going : Helm getting better , Bert getting better , Tatar still learning how to be NHLer . We have solid goalies. It is all not to bad , team will get better before playoff

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like guys like Andersson, Eaves, Miller, and Glendening as 4th-liners. And I can handle Cleary and Abdelkader if they're on the 4th line. But that's 6 guys who can't possess the puck. I don't necessarily wish for Flip and Brunner back, but losing them no doubt hurt our puck possession ability.

This is our biggest problem, and the worst thing about the roster jam Holland created for himself.

Too many mediocre forwards playing significant minutes, because we have too many of them.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I haven't seen him play once. It would be nice if he was with the Griffs right now.

world juniors are coming.

They are average-to-below-average right now, I agree. Going forward, they will be better. Ericsson will be a big upgrade over Lashoff. Quincey and Kindl will hopefully see their minutes go down a little. I think with everyone healthy, they can be pretty decent. After all, they were one of the better defense groups in the league last year, with basically the same guys. And Ouellet may just surprise all of us this season by grabbing a permanent spot. It's a small sample size, but he's been one of our 6 best defenseman this season, imo. He could solidify the 3rd pair by the end of the year.

yes, they should be better. ouellet could grab a spot.

but looks like they overachieved on D last year. wings had second best es sv% last year. this year they are 12th. and allowing more shots.

Will the offense be easier to fix? Maybe. I think Nyquist will be an easy and obvious upgrade when he gets here. But beyond that? We're hoping Weiss and Franzen can put up more offense. Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. After that?

yeah..

I like guys like Andersson, Eaves, Miller, and Glendening as 4th-liners. And I can handle Cleary and Abdelkader if they're on the 4th line. But that's 6 guys who can't possess the puck. I don't necessarily wish for Flip and Brunner back, but losing them no doubt hurt our puck possession ability

brunner meh, flip yeah.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Had an easy schedule so far.

The next month looks easy too. Boston, Nashville, and Washington might give us trouble, but Florida a couple times, the Islanders a couple times. Buffalo, Philly, NJ... Plenty of home games too (although that hasn't mattered). Either way, they need to turn it around.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
The next month looks easy too. Boston, Nashville, and Washington might give us trouble, but Florida a couple times, the Islanders a couple times. Buffalo, Philly, NJ... Plenty of home games too (although that hasn't mattered). Either way, they need to turn it around.

Islanders should be easy, but whatever the reason is we can never beat them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad