This team is NOT built for playoff success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I love how Crosby and Malkin were a couple of soft whiners until they won, now they are the pinnacle of toughness that our players could never live up to
They were more like chokers, than soft. And they were going to choke again and lose to Washington, but Phil came to the rescue. Anyone calling Crosby soft wouldn't know what they were talking about.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
As much as it pains me to say this, but the Leafs will make the playoffs and likely be booted out in the first round....again.

The team is an anomaly. It is hollow. The team is filled with skill, talent and speed, but we dont have one player that is tough. We dont have enough size on the back end and most of our D are soft too.

Trust me, I am much happier about the team today than say....the last 50 years or so. Except for a few years like 93'. This team has no legs. They have consistent terrible starts going back 3 years. First periods are not the Leafs strong suit, and I realize that is coaching. There have been periods where the team just flat out looks unbeatable by any other NHL team. But most of the time, we are very beatable. And I dont think the team is fit enough either.

Teams know how deadly the PP is so they change their game plan to make sure they don't take penalties, and the proof is on NHL.com as the Leafs are the lowest team in the entire league with regards to getting PP's.

Again, the team is striated. We are a Ford Pinto in a Ferrari shell. If you have visions of grandeur for playoff success, forget about it. No one on the Leafs can put the fear of god on another team. D men on other teams do not need to panic for fear of getting hurt on a forward coming in. Sure, we steal a lot of pucks because of our speed, but opposing D dont have to fear of getting plastered. The team is a shell. No substance, all flash.

The fix: Dubas needs to make some moves, even if we overpay in assets. We need guys like Simmonds on offence and a guy like Hedman on defence. We are not just 2 of those players short. We need like 2 powerforwards and 2 tough nosed D men who can be counted on.

Forwards to keep: Matthews, Kapenen, Tavares, Marner and possibly Kadri. Everyone else can be shipped out and re-organized on forward. Many of these guys can be packaged together and shipped out for bigger talented players.

Defencemen to keep. Rielly, Dermott and the rest are butter soft. Gardiner seems to get a lot of love this year. I just dont see it. He holds the puck far too long before making a decision. He is bad defensively. We have exactly 2 guys that can stay. I must use caps here but THE REST OF THE D ARE TOO SOFT AND PLAY TOO SOFT. Our D corp is brutal. Freddy cant keep this up into the playoffs where this team will surely collapse again. The playoffs are a totally different beast. Its a different game all together.

Teams that win in the playoffs are blood and guts teams and are willing to pay a price to win. The Leafs have like 4 guys that are like that. How will Matthews shoulder hold up when all bets are off and players will hit him in the shoulder every shift.

Sure, we have offensively gifted forwards. But that dont mean squat in the playoffs.

Nope, we are short 2 tough as nails guys up front that can play a top 6 role and short 4 guys on defence that are tough as nails and can play defence.

Thoughts?

Didn't you go off on a tangent a month or so ago claiming that you believe Sparks is a legit NHL goalie after Chicago pumped him for 6 goals and provided similar reasons to the layout of this thread?

If so. There goes any credibility you have with your takes.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They were more like chokers, than soft. And they were going to choke again and lose to Washington, but Phil came to the rescue. Anyone calling Crosby soft wouldn't know what they were talking about.

Wasn't Kessel considered extremely soft before those playoff runs? The point is that all this talk about "tough" players is overblown. Period. There is not one formula to winning. Even Vegas last season, all their "toughness" and "grit" would mean squat if MAF wasn't Godly. It's all about performing at the right time, having certain players perform to an elite level.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
it's hilarious how much better we are now that we've gotten rid of stiffs like martin and polak.

leafs fans are unsmart.
Polak and Martin would make this team better. Im smart.

Polak over Ozhiganov and Martin over Gauthier anyday

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I love how Crosby and Malkin were a couple of soft whiners until they won, now they are the pinnacle of toughness that our players could never live up to

People said said Sid and Malkin were soft? Young and lacked experience, maybe, but not soft.

Sid didn’t make the playoffs in first couple of years, in his second crack he won it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Wasn't Kessel considered extremely soft before those playoff runs? The point is that all this talk about "tough" players is overblown. Period.
There were always 2 Kessels. The guy in the NHL regular season and the playoff/Olympics version. The playoff version always did the little things needed to do to win. Although Pittsburgh does have him playing more physical in the regular season than Toronto ever did. That's probably more to do with he's not expected to carry the team's offense on his back.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
I disagree.

This Team is built for Success.

I have capitalized my letter there, so, Boom.

Go back to the drawring bored, there Small Stuff. Go worsh your shorts.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Last I checked the team that scored the most goals won the game, not the team that had the most hits.

I'll say the same thing I've said in other threads.

Do you think they should have drafted William Nylander or Nick Richie in 2014?

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Toughness <skill < skill + toughness

We don’t need toughness in the form of plugs like we just got rid of this summer, we need it in the form of guys like Nashville, Boston, Winnipeg & Washington have that can also play the game. Which will cost a lot to get.

Keep deluding yourselves we’ll just outscore everyone in the playoffs magically when things get even tighter though.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Crosby is tough then so is JT and Matthews. Kadri is tough too. Marner can play a gritty style in the playoffs, we have seen it last season. To be tough/gritty, you don't need to be throwing your weight around. What we do need is become better defensively as a team. Not sure what it would take for that to happen.

Matthews will be the best player in the league when he’s fully developed and uses his size and strength to go along with his speed and skill.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I don't think it's all about toughness ,hitting etc.

It's about defencemen who can move the puck.
Rielly and Dermott have patience and look to make plays.
Gardiner does too but often just throws it away.
The other 3...just get rid of the puck,turning it over usually in the neutral zone..
It will be tough to win with those guys..

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I honestly don't know what "built for playoff success" even means, and I don't think many do. If you look back at the Cup winners over the past 10 years, there's a lot of variation in how those rosters were constructed and what their strengths and weaknesses were. 2008 Detroit was different from 2011 Boston was different from 2015 Chicago was different from 2017 Pittsburgh. The only real commonalities are strong centre depth and auspicious goaltending. There is no one size fits all.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Being able to 'dish it out' is one aspect that is a double edged sword. Really only effective if not penalized in the process.Playing physical has its place,to be sure. More importantly, players that are skillful need to be able to 'take it'. If they do,then they usually win.
Refs don't call stuff in the play offs ,so it is even more important to be able to play through the missed calls and contact that crosses the ethics line.
Personal experience has shown me that beating teams that resort to dirty physical play is a sweeter victory. I'm tougher than I am talented and have been on both kinds of teams. I can say I respect the guys that can 'take it' more than the ones who can't!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I know Polak is total trash and all, but he's playing top 4 minutes on a good defensive team. Just saying. Also true, if someone nailed Matthews into the boards with him on the ice they'd leave in a stretcher. Just saying.

I'm fine he's gone, but he's still a useful D man in this league, which he's proving.

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Other than a few on this board, no one sees this team as a Cup contender this year. No need to do anything irrational as this point.

Well that's an insane take. Funny thing is people who still think this team isn't a contender usually consider themselves "the positive fans" because they are never critical of the team due to such poor expectations. This is absolutely a strong contending team.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Winning a cup really comes down to hot goaltending. Murray did it for the pens, quick did it for the kings where they won every game 1-0 or 2-1.

Hawks were well balanced in their glory years but Crawford was elite those years too.

It will come down to Andersen going on a vintage run.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is literally the best Leafs team we’ve seen in like a couple decades and folks want to blow up 70% of it?

I’m at a loss right now for words

They are not the best team to watch though. I can’t remember the last time I’ve switch from a Leaf game to another game when the Leafs were a legit playoff team. I’ve done it several times this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad