This team is NOT built for playoff success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 300185

As much as it pains me to say this, but the Leafs will make the playoffs and likely be booted out in the first round....again.

The team is an anomaly. It is hollow. The team is filled with skill, talent and speed, but we dont have one player that is tough. We dont have enough size on the back end and most of our D are soft too.

Trust me, I am much happier about the team today than say....the last 50 years or so. Except for a few years like 93'. This team has no legs. They have consistent terrible starts going back 3 years. First periods are not the Leafs strong suit, and I realize that is coaching. There have been periods where the team just flat out looks unbeatable by any other NHL team. But most of the time, we are very beatable. And I dont think the team is fit enough either.

Teams know how deadly the PP is so they change their game plan to make sure they don't take penalties, and the proof is on NHL.com as the Leafs are the lowest team in the entire league with regards to getting PP's.

Again, the team is striated. We are a Ford Pinto in a Ferrari shell. If you have visions of grandeur for playoff success, forget about it. No one on the Leafs can put the fear of god on another team. D men on other teams do not need to panic for fear of getting hurt on a forward coming in. Sure, we steal a lot of pucks because of our speed, but opposing D dont have to fear of getting plastered. The team is a shell. No substance, all flash.

The fix: Dubas needs to make some moves, even if we overpay in assets. We need guys like Simmonds on offence and a guy like Hedman on defence. We are not just 2 of those players short. We need like 2 powerforwards and 2 tough nosed D men who can be counted on.

Forwards to keep: Matthews, Kapenen, Tavares, Marner and possibly Kadri. Everyone else can be shipped out and re-organized on forward. Many of these guys can be packaged together and shipped out for bigger talented players.

Defencemen to keep. Rielly, Dermott and the rest are butter soft. Gardiner seems to get a lot of love this year. I just dont see it. He holds the puck far too long before making a decision. He is bad defensively. We have exactly 2 guys that can stay. I must use caps here but THE REST OF THE D ARE TOO SOFT AND PLAY TOO SOFT. Our D corp is brutal. Freddy cant keep this up into the playoffs where this team will surely collapse again. The playoffs are a totally different beast. Its a different game all together.

Teams that win in the playoffs are blood and guts teams and are willing to pay a price to win. The Leafs have like 4 guys that are like that. How will Matthews shoulder hold up when all bets are off and players will hit him in the shoulder every shift.

Sure, we have offensively gifted forwards. But that dont mean squat in the playoffs.

Nope, we are short 2 tough as nails guys up front that can play a top 6 role and short 4 guys on defence that are tough as nails and can play defence.

Thoughts?

Reactions: FraumBallard

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Thoughts? How about...
iu

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
As much as it pains me to say this, but the Leafs will make the playoffs and likely be booted out in the first round....again.

The team is an anomaly. It is hollow. The team is filled with skill, talent and speed, but we dont have one player that is tough. We dont have enough size on the back end and most of our D are soft too.

Trust me, I am much happier about the team today than say....the last 50 years or so. Except for a few years like 93'. This team has no legs. They have consistent terrible starts going back 3 years. First periods are not the Leafs strong suit, and I realize that is coaching. There have been periods where the team just flat out looks unbeatable by any other NHL team. But most of the time, we are very beatable. And I dont think the team is fit enough either.

Teams know how deadly the PP is so they change their game plan to make sure they don't take penalties, and the proof is on NHL.com as the Leafs are the lowest team in the entire league with regards to getting PP's.

Again, the team is striated. We are a Ford Pinto in a Ferrari shell. If you have visions of grandeur for playoff success, forget about it. No one on the Leafs can put the fear of god on another team. D men on other teams do not need to panic for fear of getting hurt on a forward coming in. Sure, we steal a lot of pucks because of our speed, but opposing D dont have to fear of getting plastered. The team is a shell. No substance, all flash.

The fix: Dubas needs to make some moves, even if we overpay in assets. We need guys like Simmonds on offence and a guy like Hedman on defence. We are not just 2 of those players short. We need like 2 powerforwards and 2 tough nosed D men who can be counted on.

Forwards to keep: Matthews, Kapenen, Tavares, Marner and possibly Kadri. Everyone else can be shipped out and re-organized on forward. Many of these guys can be packaged together and shipped out for bigger talented players.

Defencemen to keep. Rielly, Dermott and the rest are butter soft. Gardiner seems to get a lot of love this year. I just dont see it. He holds the puck far too long before making a decision. He is bad defensively. We have exactly 2 guys that can stay. I must use caps here but THE REST OF THE D ARE TOO SOFT AND PLAY TOO SOFT. Our D corp is brutal. Freddy cant keep this up into the playoffs where this team will surely collapse again. The playoffs are a totally different beast. Its a different game all together.

Teams that win in the playoffs are blood and guts teams and are willing to pay a price to win. The Leafs have like 4 guys that are like that. How will Matthews shoulder hold up when all bets are off and players will hit him in the shoulder every shift.

Sure, we have offensively gifted forwards. But that dont mean squat in the playoffs.

Nope, we are short 2 tough as nails guys up front that can play a top 6 role and short 4 guys on defence that are tough as nails and can play defence.

Thoughts?

Lots, there in another thread though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Other than a few on this board, no one sees this team as a Cup contender this year. No need to do anything irrational as this point.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
this team now has 3 centers that are excellent (among the league's best) at scoring with very short times touching the puck within the home plate area and 3 RW's who are very good at getting clean zone entry to be able to feed them there. We need a D upgrade and we have time to either buy it or develop it

enjoy being in 2nd place in the NHL just over 2 years removed from finishing dead last and stop inventing things to worry about

Reactions: SwollenGoat

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If Matthews and Nylander disappear again in the playoffs this year, than it becomes a legit issue. Let’s see how it plays out.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I love a good fight once in a while, but my God is this toughness issue overblown.

Who was the Penguins toughest player on their back to back Cup winning teams?

Hornqvist? Kunitz?

So dramatic.

We need another man on D for sure. Pietrangelo isn’t a ‘tough’ guy but he has experience in the league and at the international level. I digress.

I saw our guys play more physical the other night. They have it in them. Nylander actually finished a check and Marner threw a few. Kadri and Hyman obviously stepped up. Our D didn’t seem all that intimidated. We loss because we didn’t capitalize on shit in the first.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Not really, because it's your star players than need to be tough - see Crosby and Ovechkin. It does little good to have tough 4th liners - see Matt Martin.

If Crosby is tough then so is JT and Matthews. Kadri is tough too. Marner can play a gritty style in the playoffs, we have seen it last season. To be tough/gritty, you don't need to be throwing your weight around. What we do need is become better defensively as a team. Not sure what it would take for that to happen.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I love how Crosby and Malkin were a couple of soft whiners until they won, now they are the pinnacle of toughness that our players could never live up to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad