This Team is Horrible (All Purpose Venting Thread)

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think NYI have plenty of building blocks this year, especially on defense. I'm really not worried about the team there. Goaltending is also going to be a work in progress - I don't really love the way Varlamov is moving.

What I'm liking: Beauvillier's overall game, Nelson despite the penalties, Komorov playing smart hockey, Toews is dynamic, Pelech looks very good, Bailey is consistent, Greiss is playing a good quiet net.

What needs to get better: Barzal's decision making - he's getting attacked on the backside and he hasn't adjusted, what's with the slow start Pulock?, Varlamov isn't moving well, Nelson's discipline.

What I'm worried about: Lee's inability to move with the puck is dragging down his line, Boychuk is super smart and all effort but is noticeably slow, Brassard has easily been our worst skater - slow, overhandling the puck, off his man, and poor decisions.

This team desperately needs a better center.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
upload_2019-10-15_13-33-22.png

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think NYI have plenty of building blocks this year, especially on defense. I'm really not worried about the team there. Goaltending is also going to be a work in progress - I don't really love the way Varlamov is moving.

What I'm liking: Beauvillier's overall game, Nelson despite the penalties, Komorov playing smart hockey, Toews is dynamic, Pelech looks very good, Bailey is consistent, Greiss is playing a good quiet net.

What needs to get better: Barzal's decision making - he's getting attacked on the backside and he hasn't adjusted, what's with the slow start Pulock?, Varlamov isn't moving well, Nelson's discipline.

What I'm worried about: Lee's inability to move with the puck is dragging down his line, Boychuk is super smart and all effort but is noticeably slow, Brassard has easily been our worst skater - slow, overhandling the puck, off his man, and poor decisions.

This team desperately needs a better center.

I'll add to this a hot take: Ross over Martin right now.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's a long season folks. I said earlier this season that I am not going to get too high after a couple wins, and not too low after a couple of losses. This team will likely overachieve and underachieve all in one. All I know is it is probably not a smart thing to count out a Barry Trotz/Lamoriello coached and managed team.

Reactions: dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I like what I've seen from Ross the past few games, for the most part.

In general, the man can create space. He's not a very balanced fella out there, but does possess better offensive instincts than most will give him credit for. But he can move around in that offensive zone and get people mixed up/blocked.

I'd like to see that kind of thing be made more use of.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood and Lek

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
We have 4 pages of how much we suck, when we all know the players don't make the team in todays NHL, rather the coaching does.

Remember last year?

Remember the Vegas Knights? Bunch of clowns who just happened to get to the Finals.

But sure, continue on...

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We have 4 pages of how much we suck, when we all know the players don't make the team in todays NHL, rather the coaching does.

Remember last year?

Remember the Vegas Knights? Bunch of clowns who just happened to get to the Finals.

But sure, continue on...
I remember two years ago when many here said that Gallant was the only coach worse than Capuano. Now he’s the second coming of Toe Blake.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I want to make sure that I follow board protocol, and complain about something.

The complainers complain too much...

Reactions: Sparksrus3

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee

Remember last year?

But sure, continue on...
Vegas followed up their SCF run with a very impressive season and a controversial loss in the playoffs.
The isles need to follow last seasons success up with a playoff berth to quiet the doubters.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Vegas followed up their SCF run with a very impressive season and a controversial loss in the playoffs.
The isles need to follow last seasons success up with a playoff berth to quiet the doubters.

There are always doubters. Even Patriot fans have aholes talking dumb stuff.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
How many players away from being a contender? If the answer is quite a few and if Isles do not have too many prospects ready to step into NHL then I would honestly think if the team maybe better off to finish bottom five because if any year you want to have high draft picks (not just 1st round, but 2nd, 3rd & 4th), this is definitely the year because there are a lot good ones to choose from and if you are lucky to land a top 3 you can definitely improve the team in 2 to 3 years. All the players you drafted this year even if you are lucky enough to play any of them next year will be protected from the Seattle draft.

With so many strong teams in the league, I think even if Isles makes the playoff, the exist could be a quick one because they do not have enough tools. This is just my honest take on this team. They do not need to tank intentionally but likely they will finish much lower this year than last just based on the team line-up. Given that Philly seems to be playing well, Pens/Caps/Canes has not lost a step and Buffalo much improved this year, very good chance Isles will miss the playoff. Maybe it is good also for resigning their key players to reasonable contract.

I am trying not to be negative but if you looked at what Rangers did over the last 3 years, sometimes you need take some pains in order to take big leaps down the road. Google the 2010 prospects and if you see a deep and impressive pool, then you will agree that if any time to end up low in the standing, this will definitely be the year.

The Islanders are rebuilding right now. It is a slow rebuild and they should be ready in 2021 with a new arena. They have a bunch of kids in the lineup already with a healthy mix of veterans.

A kind of like this rebuild and the results.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Lotta ppl pointing to Beauvillier as a bright spot on this team....sorry guys I don't see it.

What I see is a hard working, low/mid tier complimentary (does not drive play), 3rd liner who can score at an acceptable rate but has terrible positioning and is awful defensively.

I'm ok as long as he's sheltered in a bottom 6 role - but hard to do when your bottom 6 already has it's share of weak links.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Lotta ppl pointing to Beauvillier as a bright spot on this team....sorry guys I don't see it.

What I see is a hard working, low/mid tier complimentary (does not drive play), 3rd liner who can score at an acceptable rate but has terrible positioning and is awful defensively.

I'm ok as long as he's sheltered in a bottom 6 role - but hard to do when your bottom 6 already has it's share of weak links.
Gotta disagree, my friend.

Many of us picked Beau this year, to take a step forward, not dominate. And I gotta say, I think we got it right. So far.

I think his only weakness, is that he's not very strong on the puck, and I think that he will overcome this, and probably sooner, rather than later. Either he will get stronger, or learn better how to use his speed and quickness, to avoid disaster. Hopefully, he does both.

As for his defensive acumen, I feel that it's pretty damn good. He's constantly intercepting passes, driving back with the play, and making pretty good decisions. I believe that he has been rewarded for his strong play, by being chosen to be the high guy on the PK . As in penalty kill, not to be confused with our beloved PKCronin. :D

He seems a lot more relaxed, confident, and happy this year, too. I have no problem with him being in the middle six, and getting some time on both special teams units.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
A 2nd successful season would certainly go a long way toward gaining respectability, without a doubt. For the doubters...

As for me, you can call me a believer... :)

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Gotta disagree, my friend.

Many of us picked Beau this year, to take a step forward, not dominate. And I gotta say, I think we got it right. So far.

I think his only weakness, is that he's not very strong on the puck, and I think that he will overcome this, and probably sooner, rather than later. Either he will get stronger, or learn better how to use his speed and quickness, to avoid disaster. Hopefully, he does both.

As for his defensive acumen, I feel that it's pretty damn good. He's constantly intercepting passes, driving back with the play, and making pretty good decisions. I believe that he has been rewarded for his strong play, by being chosen to be the high guy on the PK . As in penalty kill, not to be confused with our beloved PKCronin. :D

He seems a lot more relaxed, confident, and happy this year, too. I have no problem with him being in the middle six, and getting some time on both special teams units.

You touch on him being weak on the puck...this is, in part, my reasoning for not being a fan of his defensive play.

As you know, he gets pushed off the puck too easily and isn't able to get it back. IMO You can't be a good defensive player if you're weak in the corners and along the boards.

He hustles on the back check, skates well and does an ok job at agitating...but I wouldn't call that defensive acumen. His angles are bad and disagree about the decision making.

I have no doubt that he will mature and get stronger ...but for now, hes our most oveerated player since Hamonic.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Star appeal is for the NBA. I loved last years team of non stars and despite the uneven start our biggest star stands behind the bench and will get this squad to perform.
Just keep in mind the goal is to win the cup and not merely make the playoffs.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I remember two years ago when many here said that Gallant was the only coach worse than Capuano. Now he’s the second coming of Toe Blake.

I was probably one of those folks. I still think Capuano outcoached Gallant in the Florida series and probably made sweeping comments about his coaching acumen. Truth is, I can only judge by that series. No idea if he's a good coach or not. If Capuano was coaching the Vegas Knights they'd be "winning despite bad coaching" eh...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad