This isn't over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 23807

futurcorerock said:
E's blog finally is posting rumors again, so the train ride is starting up again.

Not saying E knows what he's talking about, but he's a pretty good writer and reading him has some value. You can gague some proactive action within the negotiations based on his "rumors". Somethings going to happen soon.

Sites like Eklund's and journalism like we've seen over the past week is precisely why the fans have been dragged through the mud. I'm absolutely disgusted at the lack of integrity from all the NHL reporters over the past week. They report rumors as fact and take the fans through the roller coaster ride as a result.

Whatever happened to substantiating your source, being certain before reporting something? Instead we had circumstantial evidence that things were happening ie: press conference room was being setup and players were flying back from europe. I mean sure by themselves these tidbits of information may point in one direction but are they significant enough to report them and get the hopes of the fans up?

Very premature on their part....

PJStyles
http://hockeyinsight.blogspot.com

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
PJStyles said:
Sites like Eklund's and journalism like we've seen over the past week is precisely why the fans have been dragged through the mud. I'm absolutely disgusted at the lack of integrity from all the NHL reporters over the past week. They report rumors as fact and take the fans through the roller coaster ride as a result.

Whatever happened to substantiating your source, being certain before reporting something? Instead we had circumstantial evidence that things were happening ie: press conference room was being setup and players were flying back from europe. I mean sure by themselves these tidbits of information may point in one direction but are they significant enough to report them and get the hopes of the fans up?

Very premature on their part....

PJStyles
So, plugging your blog makes it all better? You've just discredited yourself.

I was just drawing a corrollary link between blog activity and what goes on in these talks. Blog activity and "hearsay" seems to lead to some form of action in the form of talks.

Sad thing is, this guy probably has picked up sources now that he's gained recognition in the canadian media.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
NewBreed19 said:
It's over! There is no way the union stops their stance on protecting the higher paid members of the association. They are not going to except the 42.5 and they are not going to put it to a vote either. They are fighting so that the rich players stay rich , they don't care about the other 650 or so that don't make as much. It's over; you live in a dream land. :D
Just because you say they are fighting doesnt make it so. Do you have the magic window into the NHLPA?

Member 23807

futurcorerock said:
So, plugging your blog makes it all better? You've just discredited yourself.

I was just drawing a corrollary link between blog activity and what goes on in these talks. Blog activity and "hearsay" seems to lead to some form of action in the form of talks.

Sad thing is, this guy probably has picked up sources now that he's gained recognition in the canadian media.

My blog site is nothing more than an editorial blog where people can read if they wish. I don't pretend to report the facts nor do I pretend that I have sources of information.

It's only natural that there would be a link between blog activity and talks taking place because rumors of talks taking place are the precursor to activity taking place on the blog sites.

My only point is that people are so passionate about the game, reporters included, that they are overcome with anxiety to report rumors as fact when they are in fact just rumors. :)

PJStyles

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here but......

Is there any hard evidence of ANY players mentioned yesterday in scattered reports that they were returning from Europe ?

I mean , has anyone spotted them in North America saying ''WTF'' ?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
PJStyles said:
My blog site is nothing more than an editorial blog where people can read if they wish. I don't pretend to report the facts nor do I pretend that I have sources of information.

It's only natural that there would be a link between blog activity and talks taking place because rumors of talks taking place are the precursor to activity taking place on the blog sites.
Thanks for proving my point.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Isles72 said:

Is there any hard evidence of ANY players mentioned yesterday in scattered reports that they were returning from Europe ?

lol....honestly eh?

Member 23807

Isles72 said:

Who knows. I can't remember where I read it this morning but someone reported that a few of those players arrived today in shock of what transpired. Something still doesn't add up as far as what happened yesterday.

Also, everyone is blaming the league for bringing Gretzky and Lemieux for the ride but reports are now clear that players on the NHLPA side asked the owners to invite them along and they did. Again, there's no confirmation of any of this but I just find everything very fishy.

PJStyles

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
PJStyles said:
Who knows. I can't remember where I read it this morning but someone reported that a few of those players arrived today in shock of what transpired. Something still doesn't add up as far as what happened yesterday.

Also, everyone is blaming the league for bringing Gretzky and Lemieux for the ride but reports are now clear that players on the NHLPA side asked the owners to invite them along and they did. Again, there's no confirmation of any of this but I just find everything very fishy.

PJStyles
Fishy enough for a deal to be struck tonight, PC tomorrow.

Face it.. theres NO press today and no aftershock from yesterday's events aside from a few journalists who feel like venting.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The radio silence during the day has been odd. I would have expected much more in the way of recriminations and blood-letting if yesterday was the final act of this farce.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Stop trying to make me feel optimistic.

One more up on this rollercoaster and i'm going to barf.

lol, just kidding, but yes, the media outlets have been very quiet today..surprise surprise..but I think it's because they knew they blew it last time (friday night) so they don't want to make any more mistakes.

OilKiller

Feb 1, 2005
canadatv.invisionzone.com
go_leafs_go02 said:
lol, just kidding, but yes, the media outlets have been very quiet today..surprise surprise..but I think it's because they knew they blew it last time (friday night) so they don't want to make any more mistakes.

Or there is just nothing more to say... :dunno:

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
go_leafs_go02 said:

Indeed! I think THN needs to print a formal apology to us the Fans that they stirred up by printing a falsehood <or rumour> as truth. As of yesterday at 4:00MST I have cancelled my subscription with them and I encourage all others to do the same.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
futurcorerock said:
Fishy enough for a deal to be struck tonight, PC tomorrow.

Face it.. theres NO press today and no aftershock from yesterday's events aside from a few journalists who feel like venting.

I'd hope that they'd be smart enough to take today as a good opportunity to conduct a secret meeting but I feel they are too pigheaded.. I see only a few key issues which need to be hammered out. If the NHL can get the PA to get off the stance of upwards linkage we're really close to a deal then. The other factor is whether or not players picked up on the upwards linkage part/PA not making an offer and bringing in Lemieux/Gretzky just to embarass them and getting very angry at the exec committee for doing that which will in turn put some pressure to have more talks... right now I think the pressure is off from the owners side just because they have a feeling the PA isn't bargaining in good faith at this point

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Isles72 said:

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I know there are NHLers in other countries (England for example) who played yesterday and today, so who knows.

But I'll keep my eye out for any players in Boston this week. ;)

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Baradin said:
Indeed! I think THN needs to print a formal apology to us the Fans that they stirred up by printing a falsehood <or rumour> as truth. As of yesterday at 4:00MST I have cancelled my subscription with them and I encourage all others to do the same.

It wasn't just THN, I listened to 3 promenent agents on Team1040 say that they didn't see how a deal couldn't be done. That was Friday. If agents thought there was a deal, I don't think they were basing the opinion on a THN article.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
OilKiller said:
Or there is just nothing more to say... :dunno:
There really isn't that much more to say, but I'm talking about Radio shows, TV broadcasts, etc, none really have mentioned it today, and it seems like its been forgotten already.

Baradin said:

yeah, they've hinted at their 'mistake' but nothing formal as of an apology. Its really quite disheartening when they don't make up for their mistake, since they are the ones who primarily started things on friday night. I don't read THN that much, but I hope that they either apologize, or have a fan backlash at what they did.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
vanlady said:
It wasn't just THN, I listened to 3 promenent agents on Team1040 say that they didn't see how a deal couldn't be done. That was Friday. If agents thought there was a deal, I don't think they were basing the opinion on a THN article.

I think the THN was right to some extent, that there was an agreement in principle, but the PA thought they could extort upwards linkage & more revenue sharing because of the pressure from ESPN, the media, and GMs/owners

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
vanlady said:

Ok well fair enough I suppose, tho THN had no right to publish unsubstantiated rumour as fact. Hell they had no right to publish rumour as even rumour knowing the uproar that was inevitable among the diehards < All of us :D > . And which agents? If you remember that is...

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
go_leafs_go02 said:

The media doesnt have a heart like that.

Theres nothing for the media to report: No player interviews, no owner interviews, no interviews with mario or wayne today, nothing.

As before, it's a good sign that something is going on. When there was nothing going on, Saskin, Daly and everyone in between were shooting their mouths off and making everyone sad.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
futurcorerock said:

Theres nothing for the media to report: No player interviews, no owner interviews, no interviews with mario or wayne today, nothing.

As before, it's a good sign that something is going on. When there was nothing going on, Saskin, Daly and everyone in between were shooting their mouths off and making everyone sad.

you have got a point there. there might be enough rumblings for hockey writers to not start looking forward to 2005-06, but not enough for them to embarass themselves like they did yesterday

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
futurcorerock said:

You don't still think this thing is alive do you? I am more optimistic than most and I don't see anything that points to this being anything but very much over. No news is because there is no news. The major media outlets aren't touching it because they are still recovering from the burns they got the last time they did. Believe what you want, but the fat lady already sang and went home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->